VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

For non-professional usage, I need a shotgun microphone to connect to my Sony camcorder that would cost around $200:
    • Can be screwed on a grip handle or at the end of a stand to pick up lectures from a loudspeaker
    • Can take a wind cutter/dead cat for the occasional outdoor recording
    • Mini-jack, and possibly XLR
    • Runs on batteries, and possibly phantom power

I see several models from AudioTechnica (ATR 6250, AT 897) and Rode (NTG-2, Videomic Pro), as well as the Senheiser MKE 400. What do you think? Are there other brands I should know about?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i use the rode stereo video mic pro on canon dslrs and love it. the rode mono shotguns also get good reviews.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the info.

I don't understand how a shotgun mike can record in stereo since it ignores sound coming sideways? Does it make a difference whether I buy a mono instead of a stereo?

My camcorder doesn't provide a way to screw the mike on top or side, so hopefully RØDE's VideoMic Pro can be screwed on a handle grip.

What's the difference between the VideoMic (Pro) and the NTG-x series?
    Quote Quote  
  4. aedipus said that he uses the rode stereo videomic pro and that the rode mono shotgun videomic pros are also highky rated. He did not say that the stero mike he uses is a shotgun mike. For the record, the Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro is not a shotgun mike.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Strange, their web site says that "The RØDE VideoMic Pro is a true shotgun microphone designed for use with camcorders, DSLR cameras and portable audio recorders as a source of primary and reference audio." And there's also the NTGx series. And AudioTechnica, and other brands. Lots of choices.

Ideally, it could be hooked to Sony's propriety shoe on top.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yetanotherlogin View Post
    Strange, their web site says that "The RØDE VideoMic Pro is a true shotgun microphone designed for use with camcorders, DSLR cameras and portable audio recorders as a source of primary and reference audio." And there's also the NTGx series. And AudioTechnica, and other brands. Lots of choices.

The RØDE VideoMic/VideoMic Pro is a mono shotgun. The Stereo version is wide field intended for music (not a shotgun). The NGT2 is a low impedance XLR shotgun intended for pro cams or Beachtek adapter.
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Jun 2012 at 09:37.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yetanotherlogin View Post

sorry for the confusion, i wasn't recommending the stereo pro as a shotgun only it's quality. and the high marks give to the rode videomics in general.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    The RØDE VideoMic/VideoMic Pro is a mono shotgun. The Stereo version is wide field intended for music (not a shotgun). The NGT2 is a low impedance XLR shotgun intended for pro cams or Beachtek adapter.
    Thanks for the clarification. So when it comes to battery-operated, mini-jack RODE shotguns, the choice boils down to the mono VideoMic (Pro).

Are other brands in this price range worse?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you want cheap and maybe a little better than the built-in, go ahead and buy the sony.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367193-REG/Sony_ECMHGZ1_ECM_HGZ1_Shotgun_Zoom_Mic.html
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Quote