VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    First let me say thanks in advance for any answers/ suggestions. I've searched the forum and see only related posts from 2002 and 2005 discussing problems that don't seem to be quite the same as mine. I have a dell inspiron Vista OS with a dvd rom/recorder. Everything was fine until a few days ago when the dvd rom stopped recognizing discs. Suggestions were maybe a virus, I scanned and found none, did a system restore, still no results and as suggested tried cleaning the tray and laser. Of course the dvd rom won't recognize the DVD/CD cleaning disc. Any other suggestions? The last resort is of course purchasing a new recorder. Again thanks for answers/suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try booting up with a windows/linus install cd in cd boot mode,if it doesn't boot up that way then it's most likely bad.Also replace the dvd cable.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Consumers like to think that DVD drives last forever but they do not. And you do NOT have a "DVD recorder". This is correctly known as a "DVD burner". You should use the correct terminology because failure to do so will cause you to not get the right help. Almost certainly your drive has simply reached te end of its life but yes, you can try changing the cable as that could be it but it probably isn't. johns0 means "linux" and not "linus".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys and yes I meant a dvd burner. Really bad on the terminology. The computer was a gift from a IT friend who refurbished it and with Vista I'm sure it's getting up there so most likely time for a new one.
    Quote Quote