VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm not sure if it's my capture card or I dunno how to put the right settings, but so far, the stuff I've captured with WinTV progam on my Hauppauge PVR-150 from VHC-C camcorder is very bad qualtiy. The file that I get from ripping already has tearing and stretching, and when I burn to DVD it looks the same (stretching/tearing and much lower quality than original tape).

I am totally clueless about this video capturing business. Video is sooooo confusing.

Can someone tell me how I can capture correctly or point me to some tutorials?

Or maybe I need a new capture card?
    Last edited by granturissimus; 16th Jun 2012 at 01:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi granturissimus,

Try record using Virtualdub with lossless codecs like UT VIDEO, LAGARITH or HUFFYUV.

Will easy find many tutorials on Youtube.

My old tutorial, only change video codec

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With the onboard MPEG2 hardware encoder: Can the PVR-150 record avi?

The PVR-250 that I use is direct to MPEG2 DVD video.

I would check the playback of the tape to another source - to ensure there's nothing wrong with the VHS-C tape or player.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Does the PVR-150 make good files from other video sources? Is your WinTV set up for NTSC (assuming you have a U.S./Japan camcorder)? Do your VHS-C tapes play okay when you connect directly to a monitor?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    classfour - The PVR 150 is actually a completely different animal to Hauppauge's old PVR 250 and 350 models. Despite the numbers seemingly indicating that they are all closely related, the 150 actually has different capabilities and uses a different hardware chip to the 250/350 (those are exactly the same with the exception of the 350 having TV out). It is possible for the 150 to record AVI. However, the 150 card is rather infamous for its problems. While the 250/350 were bullet proof and basically worked for just about every person who ever bought them, the 150 was quite difficult to get working and many users never got it to work at all for them. The 150 was always cheaper than the 250, so that is your sign that Hauppauge themselves considered the 150 to be an inferior product to the 250 and 350 although some might like to think otherwise given the 150's different capabilities (AVI in addition to MPEG-1/2 recording).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Hi granturissimus,

Try record using Virtualdub with lossless codecs like UT VIDEO, LAGARITH or HUFFYUV.

Will easy find many tutorials on Youtube.

My old tutorial, only change video code

Claudio
    The PVR 150 won't work with Virtualdub or AmarecTV. The PVR 150 uses hardware encoding for its output.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    classfour - The PVR 150 is actually a completely different animal to Hauppauge's old PVR 250 and 350 models. Despite the numbers seemingly indicating that they are all closely related, the 150 actually has different capabilities and uses a different hardware chip to the 250/350 (those are exactly the same with the exception of the 350 having TV out). It is possible for the 150 to record AVI. However, the 150 card is rather infamous for its problems. While the 250/350 were bullet proof and basically worked for just about every person who ever bought them, the 150 was quite difficult to get working and many users never got it to work at all for them. The 150 was always cheaper than the 250, so that is your sign that Hauppauge themselves considered the 150 to be an inferior product to the 250 and 350 although some might like to think otherwise given the 150's different capabilities (AVI in addition to MPEG-1/2 recording).
    Getting the PVR 150 to do something other than hardware MPEG-2 encoding is difficult at best or impossible at worst. Someone at doom9 could capture the output from its preview pin but the output from that pin was encoded with Hauppauge's HCW2 video codec, and not very useful. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=103277
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by granturissimus View Post
    I'm not sure if it's my capture card or I dunno how to put the right settings, but so far, the stuff I've captured with WinTV progam on my Hauppauge PVR-150 from VHC-C camcorder is very bad qualtiy. The file that I get from ripping already has tearing and stretching, and when I burn to DVD it looks the same (stretching/tearing and much lower quality than original tape).

I am totally clueless about this video capturing business. Video is sooooo confusing.

Tearing and stretching can't be fixed by using a different capture device. Things like that can be hard to fix. To have a chance, you need to run the camcorder output through a line TBC. Sometimes the filters on a DVD recorder's line inputs will apply the necessary correction.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Today's Hauppauge USB Live 2 is better than yesteryear's PVR-150 ANY DAY.
    My PVR-350 is a different story. It's still great but my USB Live 2 gets the most use.
    Haven't fired up the 350 since I bought my USB Live 2. I will fire up the 350 soon to see how it does with my new VCR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The PVR 150 won't work with Virtualdub or AmarecTV. The PVR 150 uses hardware encoding for its output.
    I dont know this. Thank you for info usually_quiet

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  11. The PVR 150 can work with VirtualDub if you have the right driver version.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/342352-Capture-Lossless-with-WinTV-PVR-150?highlight=pvr+150+yuv

And it can capture uncompressed YUV video. It may be a bit much for a beginner though.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The PVR 150 can work with VirtualDub if you have the right driver version.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/342352-Capture-Lossless-with-WinTV-PVR-150?highlight=pvr+150+yuv

And it can capture uncompressed YUV video. It may be a bit much for a beginner though.
    It would be much easier to work with the Hauppauge USB Live 2 for losslessly compressed capture, although a different capture device by itself probably won't solve the problems the OP for this thread describes.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've tried capturing from my DV camcorder, and it seems the quality I get is better than when capturing from my VCR and VHS-C camcorder. The VCR and VHS-C camcorder play back the tapes perfectly on TV though.

So you are saying that even if I get a new capture device, I won't be able to capture at the same quality as I have on my tapes? Because that is all I really want... to capture the same quality and preserve the videos.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried capturing from my DV camcorder, and it seems the quality I get is better than when capturing from my VCR and VHS-C camcorder. The VCR and VHS-C camcorder play back the tapes perfectly on TV though.

So you are saying that even if I get a new capture device, I won't be able to capture at the same quality as I have on my tapes? Because that is all I really want... to capture the same quality and preserve the videos.
    Yes, a different capture device is unlikely to fix tearing. You need hardware with the right filters sitting between the camera and the capture device to correct the defect, but even that doesn't always work. A Panasonic DMR-ES10, DMR-ES15, or DMR-ES20 is often suggested as the poor man's solution to the problem. (You don't record using one of these DVD recorders, just pass the signal through its L1 input.) These DVD recorders are several years old models with analog-only-tuners that may turn up used on ebay, but its hard to say if you will find one.

If you only have a few tapes to process, you might be better off finding a quality paid transfer service. They have the proper equipment, a frame synchronizer.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Jun 2012 at 19:22.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was using the PVR-150 when I was using XP. When I switched to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 it did not want to work very well, so I switched to an HVR-1250 card. Love it...it works great.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM

A new card would be a step forward, but not if you don't know how to use it. Many forum members started at this site: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video.htm
    It's still being updated and expanded, but the basics are all in one place.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 04:58.
    Quote Quote