VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got a 1080p file that my PS3 is refusing to play (black screen/audio only) so I'm trying to understand what aspect/s of the file are causing the issue (MediaInfo details pasted below).

Can someone confirm that the issue (or is there more than one) is the 5 Reference Frames? I've read that 3 or 4 is the upper limit for PS3 due to memory limitations?

(I tried using H264 Level Editor to reduce the level to all options of 4.x and 3.x which didn't help - though my Samsung TV did play the file from a usb stick when I set it to 4.2).

If there's no easy tweak to file parameters to fix the PS3 issue and a reencode is necessary can someone recommend the easiest and fastest free windows-based GUI tool to perform a reencode (my preference is to keep the output as mp4) please?

General
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom
    File size : 349 MiB
    Duration : 15mn 37s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 3 126 Kbps
    Writing application : Lavf52.86.0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L5.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 3 000 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.060
    Stream size : 335 MiB (96%)
    Writing library : x264 core 108
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.41 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 122 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 13.6 MiB (4%)
    Language : English
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would just try reconvert with for example handbrake or vidcoder. Use the high profile. A 15 minute clip shouldn't take that long and you wont lose that much quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I would just try reconvert with for example handbrake or vidcoder. Use the high profile. A 15 minute clip shouldn't take that long and you wont lose that much quality.
    Thanks - trying a reconvert with vidcoder but vidcoder also has a wide array of options on the advanced settings menu - is it worth trying to use the defaults?

I'm really keen to understand whether it is the ref frames that are the issue so I can e.g. set the ref frames to 3 on vidcoder and then eliminate that as a cause for the PS3 refusing to play.
    Quote Quote