VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guys,

I'm trying to understand how to author a blu-ray 3D. I'm a CGI artist and I use Maya to create a set (sequence) of Left & Right high quality 1080p images (TIFF).

I'm not sure what software package needs to be used; but I need to basically use the Left Eye & Right Eye image sequences and author a Blu-ray 3D.

The images were created using the Stereoscopic Camera Rig available in Autodesk Maya. I have a simple 1 minute animation; rendered as a sequence of TIFF images for each eye seperately.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    I don't suffer from Chronic Insanity & Psychosomatic Multiple Personality Disorder!
    I enjoy every moment of it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blu-ray 3D specification calls for encoding 3D video using the "Stereo High" profile defined by Multiview Video Coding (MVC)

you'd need something like cinema craft mvc encoder
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Blu-ray 3D specification calls for encoding 3D video using the "Stereo High" profile defined by Multiview Video Coding (MVC)

you'd need something like cinema craft mvc encoder
    That's definitely a good start; reading up on the Cinema Craft MVC Encoder - it looks like that's exactly what would be required. The other question that I come to would be - what kind of an Authoring Software would be required that would be able to handle these MVC encoded files? I know industry standards like Blu-print or DoStudio handle the job for large business-scale operations; but are there smaller scale packages for smaller businesses?

Thanks!
    I don't suffer from Chronic Insanity & Psychosomatic Multiple Personality Disorder!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    about the only other authoring tool for blu-ray 3d i can think of is scenarist.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    about the only other authoring tool for blu-ray 3d i can think of is scenarist.
    Yes, Scenarist undoubtedly would stack just about near the DoStudio & Blu-print; I do believe Sony's DVD Architect is capable of authoring Blu-ray 3D (but no 3d menus - which is fine at least in my case), however, I don't know if something encoded with Cinema Craft's MVC Encoder would be acceptable in DVD Architect.

Information is somewhat sparse on all this.

Would you know of any other encoders besides CC's MVC?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no where does vegas/architect claim to do "blu-ray" 3d. other 3d yes. afaik vegas doesn't offer mvc encoding, so i doubt architect would know what to do with it.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as for others.

sony has blu-code/blu-print
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    no where does vegas/architect claim to do "blu-ray" 3d. other 3d yes. afaik vegas doesn't offer mvc encoding, so i doubt architect would know what to do with it.
    You're correct in that Vegas/Architect cannot do "blu-ray" 3D; they offer other non-blu-ray 3D stereoscopic editing & composting, like SBS, TB, Anaglyph, etc. You can actually create a Blu-ray with 3D Video, but it won't be true Blu-ray 3D.

With MVC I'm not clear, because Vegas does claim to "Support" MVC file format - whatever that means - however, I don't believe it can "encode" MVC. Either way, it's definitely not the solution I'm looking for.

I think currently the solutions are somewhat few in number and extremely high in cost.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    WRONG aedipuss. Vegas (v10, 11 - pro) is the ONLY reasonably priced solution that DOES do BD3D!
    Note that DVDArchictect does not do the output in this instance, Vegas itself does a "direct to disc" kind of render (part of the reason there are no menu or subtitles supported). It (Vegas) DOES use/encode MVC (when doing Stereo3D for BluRay).

If you have more questions on this, Mickey79, please ask me. I have been dealing with Stereo3D for over 9 years. Check out my past posts, re: Vegas as well as other S3D items.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks corny. where's the option to render to bd3d, i've used vegas pro for years and never seen it?
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    thanks corny. where's the option to render to bd3d, i've used vegas pro for years and never seen it?
    New Project settings.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    [Tools | Burn disc | Blu-ray]
    If you've already got a Stereo3d project loaded, it should use the "Sony MVC" template (preset to~10mbps).

Look on ~p395.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok... which 3d mode will produce bd3d?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-15_205623.png
Views:	305
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	12773
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if i'm shooting with 2 canon dlsrs 1920x1080 would i use side by side full or half for bd3d iso output?
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the bd3d output help blurb is only in the sbs half section, does that answer my question?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    WRONG aedipuss. Vegas (v10, 11 - pro) is the ONLY reasonably priced solution that DOES do BD3D!
    Note that DVDArchictect does not do the output in this instance, Vegas itself does a "direct to disc" kind of render (part of the reason there are no menu or subtitles supported). It (Vegas) DOES use/encode MVC (when doing Stereo3D for BluRay).

If you have more questions on this, Mickey79, please ask me. I have been dealing with Stereo3D for over 9 years. Check out my past posts, re: Vegas as well as other S3D items.

Scott
    Scott -- THANK you so much for jumping into this thread and responding; it has been excruciating for me to find information about this or even someone who understands what I'm asking for. I'm grateful to have come across you in this thread - I'm hoping you'll be able to clarify it for me a tad.

We're a small business and with my CGI skills in Maya and some other Audio/Video editing skills, we do some CGI animation and some authoring work for clients. Recently we've come across the need to showcase a small 1 minute CGI animation produced in Maya in full Blu-ray 3D.

I don't need menus, chapters or any of that good stuff; what we're really just looking for is a simple animation in full Blu-ray 3D. The mass consumer solutions which are incredibly expensive are out of the question for us; I do have the *reasonably* priced tools at my disposal ... like Sony Vegas Pro 11 / DVD Architect Studio 5 ... and I mainly work in Autodesk Maya w/ Maxwell Render.

In Maya, using it's Stereoscopic Camera rig, I created a very small 1 minute simple animation which I output as a sequence of Left Eye images and Right Eye images in TIFF format (And I have some other formats I can choose from). This was all well and good; now I need to create a Blu-ray 3D out of these images. The images are 1080p (1920 X 1080) High Resolution images.

I've been toying with Vegas Pro and I'm able to use the "Burn Disc --> Blu-ray Disc" option to create a Blu-ray 3D; I see the SSIF files in the ISO as well, but I'm not sure if I'm doing everything correct and created a true Blu-ray 3D or not.

Do you have any guidance steps for me as to how exactly do I import my Left & Right eye image sequences in Vegas Pro and the following setup/configuration that will end up as a Blu-ray 3D using Sony's MVC codec? If there are any preceeding steps I should take, perhaps in Maya, that won't be a problem either.

Thank you so much; I really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote