VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 30 minute clip encoded with HcEnc with Min Bitrate 40,000kbps and 80,000kbps max. It is set at MP@HL.

Would a dual-layer blank DVD accept this? Also, would a blu-ray player play this with no problems?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
    I have a 30 minute clip encoded with HcEnc with Min Bitrate 40,000kbps and 80,000kbps max. It is set at MP@HL.

Would a dual-layer blank DVD accept this? Also, would a blu-ray player play this with no problems?

no - the filesize is too large

no - Blu-ray player will not play - it exceeds blu-ray specs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What is the maximum Blu-ray will allow? I am not trying to compromise much. My quality is excellent at this filesize. Something has to play it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What is the maximum Blu-ray will allow? I am not trying to compromise much. My quality is excellent at this filesize. Something has to play it.
    40Mb/s is the max video bitrate for BD25/50 media (not DVD5/9 - the transfer rates aren't high enough)
    https://www.videohelp.com/hd

But 30 minutes (without audio) even at 40Mb/s won't fit on DVD9 anyway (just use a bitrate calculator, you will see it's too big)

You will get better quality and compression using h.264 over mpeg2

A computer will play it, and some media players
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Let me try to encode my AVI at 40 and see what happens...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Let me try to encode my AVI at 40 and see what happens...
    filesize = bitrate x running time

If you are set on using dvd9 media, it's too large even without audio. (or use a bitrate calculator)

Don't waste your time
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If you are set on using dvd9 media
    I'm not. I'm willing to burn it on Blu-Ray media if necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  8. IMO, still not worth using mpeg2. Much better quality/compression ratio with avc/h.264

You can't just burn it "as is" either, it needs to be authored in order to be playable in many blu-ray players (although some may play the file as is)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What is a good h.264 encoder? Will TMPGEnc do it? I had a trial version and can't remember.

The thing is, when you rip a vob from a commercial DVD and clean it up, if you re-encode an already lossy format such as MPG-2, the quality will never be as the original. The best thing to do is crank it up to the highest bitrate and level allowed, in order for your video to not further degrade
    Quote Quote  
  10. x264

If you want something that will do it all (including author), try multiavchd or avchdcoder

Newer versions of tmpgenc (tmpgenc mastering works) can encode using x264 encoder, or other h.264 encoders
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just encoded my file with MPEG2 at 39,700max (left room for audio). Quality is indistinguishable from 80 max and I'm happy with it. The filesize is 2.40gig.

What can I do with this? Will Blu-Ray pick it up?
    Quote Quote  
  12. The thing is, when you rip a vob from a commercial DVD and clean it up, if you re-encode an already lossy format such as MPG-2, the quality will never be as the original. The best thing to do is crank it up to the highest bitrate and level allowed, in order for your video to not further degrade
    Whoa.. WTF I missed this. This is a DVD source? It's a bit overkill don't you think ?

I bet you could encode at 6-9 Mb/s h.264 and you wouldn't notice the difference . Probably even 3-5, since you've filtered the source.

Just encoded my file with MPEG2 at 39,700max (left room for audio). Quality is indistinguishable from 80 max and I'm happy with it. The filesize is 2.40gig.
    This means you didn't achieve your desired bitrate. 2.4GB for 30min no audio , should be ~11.2Mb/s . Notice it fits on a DVD5 when I said it shouldn't above

In other words, you've likely saturated the encoder . (i.e. it is overkill)

If you're happy with it , your player might play it as is, but to be safe you should author it. (analogous to how DVD's need to be authored) .
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have played around with different bitrates and levels, believe me. 11.2mb/s would start to show some pixelation in dark areas, whereas 40mbps does not. It's the dark areas that show the difference. It seems like overkill, but understand that I'm already re-encoding MPG2. My logic is to crank up the bitrate as high as it is acceptable in order to prevent further quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
    I have played around with different bitrates and levels, believe me. 11.2mb/s would start to show some pixelation in dark areas, whereas 40mbps does not. It's the dark areas that show the difference. It seems like overkill, but understand that I'm already re-encoding MPG2. My logic is to crank up the bitrate as high as it is acceptable in order to prevent further quality loss.
    But you aren't using 40Mb/s .

Math says your video is actually ~11.2Mb/s if your video is 2.4GB like you said. Use gspot if you don't believe me . It should be about 8GB if you were using 38-39Mb/s

Filesize = Bitrate x Running Time

There are ways to "coax" the encoder to use more bitrate and higher quality. e.g. changing I:P:B ratios, reducing or eliminating b-frames, using different matrices
    Quote Quote  
  15. So are you saying you can see pixllation in dark areas or not? (are you happy with the current 11.2Mb/s encode?)

If you want to achieve higher than 11.2 Mb/s bitrate, try Fox1 matrix and maybe eliminating b-frames
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So then can I author this and burn to a blank DVD9 ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
    So then can I author this and burn to a blank DVD9 ?
    So you're happy with this 11.2Mb/s encode?

If so, you don't need DVD9 media. Did you notice its 2.4GB? It will fit on DVD5

You can author for SD blu-ray if it has 3:2 pulldown for 24p material (outputs a 59.94i signal) - it should be if you have BD compliance checked off in HCEnc . It also has to be 720x480 (not 704x480)

You're actually pretty close to making a regular DVD. ~9.5Mb/s CBR would be regular DVD player compliant
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Gspot read it as 19458kbps average.

bitrate viewer states an average of 19424kbps with a peak of 34405.

It used up most of the bitrates I fed it. It's no way NEAR dvd (max 10.5 video and audio)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
    Gspot read it as 19458kbps average.

bitrate viewer states an average of 19424kbps with a peak of 34405.

It used up most of the bitrates I fed it. It's no way NEAR dvd (max 10.5 video and audio)
    Are you sure it's 30min , and the filesize is 2.4GB ? Something doesn't add up . Just use a calculator

(It's no way near the 40 you entered either)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Is not the OP the same individual who repeatedly fails to answer questions and declines to provide accurate information. all the while insisting on things that are not true and being generally obnoxious, rude, and frustrating, as well?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Forget authoring. How do I make IMGBurn allow something this size to burn into my DVD-5 as data? Or can I do something with this clip in Avisynth..possibly create a script that will "trick" the burner into thinking it's a certain legal size?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Forget authoring. How do I make IMGBurn allow something this size to burn into my DVD-5 as data?
    2.4GB will fit onto DVD5 media burned as a data disc . Unless you were mistaken about some of the numbers
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No, my numbers are accurate. I right click on the file, and see that it is a 2.4GB file. Now, more importantly....will a standard DVD player play this? Also, in IMG burn, which option should I use from the template?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Filesize = Bitrate x Running Time
    Filesize = (Bitrate x Running Time)/8

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    There are ways to "coax" the encoder to use more bitrate and higher quality. e.g. changing I:P:B ratios, reducing or eliminating b-frames, using different matrices
    or add noise to video
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Dude, I used handbrake to encode to H264 and it looks fantastic!!!! No macro/micro blocks at all. All the fine grain is there and the filesize is less than 2 gigs!! Now I can burn this to bluray.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Is not the OP the same individual who repeatedly fails to answer questions and declines to provide accurate information. all the while insisting on things that are not true and being generally obnoxious, rude, and frustrating, as well?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Is not the OP the same individual who repeatedly fails to answer questions and declines to provide accurate information. all the while insisting on things that are not true and being generally obnoxious, rude, and frustrating, as well?
    Yes.
    Yup, that's him alright.
    Quote Quote  
  28. It won't necessarily play on blu-ray player , unless you use blu-ray compatible encoding settings and author it. Default handbrake settings do not conform to blu-ray specs.

Also certain players need specific firmware versions, beware some firmware updates actually reduce compatiblity!. Look at your specific player forum for more info. Some players play everything you throw at it, even non authored content, non blu-ray compatible content; others are very finicky and require very specific encoding settings and authoring. Some don't play h.264 authored DVD5 at all (let's call it "BD5")

There are many threads on blu-ray compatibility, use search if you want more info
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And thank goodness I don't own a blu-ray player or burner as of yet. So to avoid the headache, I'm going to invest in one that plays everything but pancakes.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I wouldn't bother in this scenario. Why even bother with optical media anymore? Get a media player like wdtv or asus oplay - they play just about everything (different formats, compression, containers like mkv ) much less restrictive... and are USB/HDD based. But alas, no pancakes either
    Quote Quote