VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am planning to buy new LED TV... I have many downloaded file in MKV Format 720p. Is it blur or crap if i am playing that file on 40" LED? I really sure is not a problem on 32". But I am afraid if i am buying 40", i will not satisfy when watch the movie coz of blur/crap.
    My view distance is 4-6 Feet.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    IIWY, I'd buy a 60-inch screen, and would watch *actual* BD-movies on it.

A computer monitor is more-than-adequate for watching downloaded garbage.

Just my 2 pence.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    720p mkv will be good to watch on a 40" lcd tv with led back lighting as long as they are good quality to begin with.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. All my 720p mkv movie is not more than 1GB per movie...I am not downloading the 720p (movie that 5-10+GB).. Is it will be bad?? I try on my sister's 40" LED...but i am not happy with the result.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't bother posting here on what sort of pirated movies to download. It's against forum rules. The thread will be closed.

Be that as it may ...

You can't expect good quality from warez videos at any file size. Most of them were encoded by crap "easy one click" programs that don't have decent performance settings, or if they do the user didn't know how to use them.

I recently saw a warez h.264 encode of a br that was pretty big (>5Gb) that was absolutely awful. The bitrate was reasonably high but it was obviously encoded by some idiot in standard profile. I could have encoded a dvd to 1/3 the size and it would have looked better. And I'm not one of the real h.264 experts here, by any means.

You certainly aren't likely to get high quality 720p at <1Gb.

BTW, those user ratings on those torrent sites are completely useless. There are tons of pitifully bad files, even fairly large ones, that have lots of 10/10 ratings. Either they're moron kids or they're watching them on their phones.

I can assure you, most warez video, especially those <1Gb, will look like crap on a 23"-24" 1080p computer monitor at 6 feet. You'd have to use a media player with excellent filters and even that won't help all that much.

If you're looking for a new tv for those videos, get a fairly small 720p set. Watching warez on a good fairly large 1080p tv is like buying a $10K stereo and listening to mp3s.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hello,
    I currently watch a lot of 720 video, and I have a 32 inch TV. I really like it and the quality is not that bad. I would be afraid to get any bigger and still have the same quality. I've seen plenty of 720 broadcast and it doesn't look that bad. I think that was on a plasma though, so motion wouldn't be a problem. You say your viewing distant is 4 to 6 feet? I sit a little further away from mine and I don't see a problem at all. But, I would definitely not mind a bigger set. I found this great viewing distance calculator if you are interested. Here's the url: http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/screensize-calculator.html This helped me choose just the right TV for my space. Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ar7istic View Post
    All my 720p mkv movie is not more than 1GB per movie... I try on my sister's 40" LED...but i am not happy with the result.
    Then you've answered your own question.

But a good 720p source will look decent on a 40" 720p screen at 6 feet. Four feet is a bit too close. Note that very few 720p HDTV actually have a 1280x720 native resolution. They vary from about 1024x768 to 1366x768
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Apr 2013 at 20:40.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by ar7istic View Post
    All my 720p mkv movie is not more than 1GB per movie... I try on my sister's 40" LED...but i am not happy with the result.
    Then you've answered your own question.

But a good 720p source will look decent on a 40" 720p screen at 4 to 6 feet. Note that very few 720p HDTV actually have a 1280x720 native resolution. They vary from about 1024x768 to 1366x768
    You just answered a year old thread,tonyb78 just dug it up.Looks like a spam link.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tonyb78 View Post
    Hello,
    I currently watch a lot of 720 video, and I have a 32 inch TV.
    Yeah, 32" is the cutoff for 720p. Anything bigger should be 1080p. Be aware that if you buy a cheap one, it might be 720p, and that's no good above 32".

Westinghouse, believe it or not, seems to have the better specs, although they're not known for making TV's.

But far and away the best TV brand is Sharp, in my long experience with both Sony and Sharp. Sharp is to TVs, like Canon is to cameras.

The "Aquos" line are all good.

Watch out for brands you haven't heard of in decades pop out of the woodwork. They sell the defunkt American logos to China. And sometimes they try to expand the brand. Like a Marantz bedroom set. I had to quit buying Moen water fixtures because they rust now.

I think American Standard is still a good brand. Their toilets are everywhere, must be good. Their new toilets don't even need tools to install. I didn't believe it either. Very smart.
    Last edited by budwzr; 26th Apr 2013 at 20:40.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Yeah, 32" is the cutoff for 720p. Anything bigger should be 1080p. Be aware that if you buy a cheap one, it might be 720p, and that's no good above 32".
    I would say even smaller!!

I have a 27" LCD/LED in my bedroom, that is 1080p, I have a 27" LCD PC monitor that is 1080p, and I have a 32" 720P TV in my workroom, where my PC's are at, and when using HDMI from any of my PC's on it, you can see it is not near as nice looking or clear as my smaller 27" 1080p monitor or tv.
    And the same PC's hooked up to my 46" LED/LCD via HDMI, are spectacular looking!!!
    Regardless of what I am doing, playing or watching!!!

And it is not even anywhere close when compared to my 46" LCD/LED, but it's not really even in the running with my 2 - 27" 1080p's.

It is the only 720p TV in my house, and when I get a new one for my workroom, it will be at least a 1080p no matter what size it is.

So I would say, unless you are so blind you cant see the end of your nose, or are still watching 700mb avi's of 2 hour movies, you need a 1080p regardless of the size!!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    But far and away the best TV brand is Sharp, in my long experience with both Sony and Sharp. Sharp is to TVs, like Canon is to cameras.

The "Aquos" line are all good.
    Not to be picky, but that's a pretty broad statement.

The top of the line, full-array LED backlit, local dimming Sharp Elites compare favorably to plasmas in blacks and native contrast. Even plasma guys like Sanlyn would likely admit they're good TVs.

They were fearfully expensive though, and were discontinued this year. It seems there's not a big enough market for such expensive LED/LCDs. That leaves the Sony HX950, if you want an LED/LCD that's almost as good as the Elite (and almost as pricey). Most TV buyers aren't prepared to pay that much, it seems.

The Aquos line (all edge-lit) are a lot less expensive and picture quality is less impressive. Decent enough though, IMO. If you want big, as in 70" plus, Sharp is still pretty much it.

It so happens I just got a marked down showroom display, a Sharp 70LE640U. I like it very much, but won't claim that it's the best TV ever. Pretty good picture quality though, and 70" is definitely impressive in my HT.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote