VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I've been searching through the forums a great deal in attempts to capture a CPU heavy screen saver into a video.

I am working on a project that requires zooming in on images that are in turn created using MORE images (a MOSAIC that goes to infinity). The only way I found how to do this is using a screen saver called infiniteMOSAIC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRyXlWVoaUo

I now need to record this. I've tried CAMTASIA, FRAPS, SnagIt and a few other software programs. None of them actually managed to even capture the screen saver... it would just be a blank screen. FRAPS actually worked; however, the video is quite choppy and it actually stops recording after about 700MB, so in the end it doesn't work either.

I want to attain perfect image smoothness and clarity (such as in the youtube example). The only way I believe i can do that is using hardware (at this point).

I read I can use hardware. I own a DV Cam corder and I am wondering if there is a way to input video directly using that? If not, what would I need to buy to achieve the result I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try Bandicam, you need a fast CPU to get smooth fullscreen capture with any screen capture utility. If you are using XP then you should disable video overlay in WMP.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I suspect that's why fraps didn't work for you - your setup is too slow and you dropped frames

What are your computer specs ? storage setup? GPU ?

Even if you could get your DV setup working - it will be low resolution and blurry (720x480 for NTSC). Since "clarity" was one of your requirements it's not even worth bothering with it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the response.

Okay so it sounds like hardware isn't going to help me then, thanks for letting me know.

Any other suggestions to speed things up? Here is my system specs:

My CPU:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9440)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9440&SUBSYS_05021002&REV_00
    Display Memory: 1274 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 506 MB
    Shared Memory: 767 MB

Does it seem insufficient? I may be able to get access to an i7 to record the mosaic if need be.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It might be a bit to too much for an old dualcore. What screen resolution are you recording ?

Also you need a fast enough hdd setup, you should be capturing to another drive, not the primary OS drive

There is hardware you can use, eg. hyperdeck shuttle connected via HDMI, but it records uncompressed, and you need a SSD to write fast enough
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckshuttle/

You could use something like the Hauppage HD-PVR, but it only records 1080i and 720p
    Quote Quote  
  6. I am running two screens. My main screen is at 1680x1050 (the one I'm recording from).

I am running my OS off of an SSD drive. At first I was outputting to that drive but then I tried outputting to a SATA drive (separate from my OS).

To be honest, FRAPS is almost acceptable speed. The problem with FRAPS is that it doesn't actaully record for more than 10 seconds (not sure why). For some reason it seems difficult to record a screen saver (as I've found searching on the inet).

1080i and 720p is fine as long as I can get it clear and without chop with my current setup.

Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So far it looks like the Hauppage HD-PVR from Best Buy is my best option if I'm to go the hardware route.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you try Bandicam or Camstudio?
    Quote Quote  
  9. No I haven't, perhaps I'll try both of those first tonight before I buy the hauppage. I'll post my results for interest, Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also there's a new kid on the block - Mirillis Action!. This guy: http://robburke.net/fractlol/ also did one in Silverlight
    Quote Quote  
  11. Those links don't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Work for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That screen-saver is cool.

I would also like to capture the screen-saver but I seem to have the same issues as the OP. Tried various programs and all give the same issues when capturing full-screen - these issues do not happen AFAIK when doing a normal screen capture full-screen or otherwise.

If I reduce the capture to a window rather than full-screen then the result is better. But there is still blanking.

Basically, there is a lot of screen-blanking going on (no dropped frames). Wanted to try out Mirrilis but that only works for Vista/Win7.

Maybe I miss something. But how could a hauppuage PVR do this ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Also there's a new kid on the block - Mirillis Action!.
    Yes, best tool for this intent. Action! will get record video in 60fps very smooth.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  15. Bandicam and camstudio both don't seem to capture the screen saver... they show only show a 'stagnant' desktop (instead of screen saver). As for the ACTION application... Maybe I'm completely daft... but I can't seem to record ANYTHING with this program. I press F9 (the video hotkey) and nothing happens.

I will try again tonight... but in the mean time I bought a new haupauge for $229.99 (CDN) from future shop right now (it's sitting at my feet by my desk).
    Quote Quote  
  16. I downloaded the free trial Mirillis Action!; however, I can't get the video to record. Everything works fine for the program (screen capture, audio record) just not video.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Well for anyone who cares (if you stumble across this thread) I have not had much luck in recording a screen saver. Something that I thought would be SUPER simple (in today's day and age) is SIMPLY anything but simple!

I hooked up the haupage as instructed in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TiYwu5gcHg

I was lucky because I had an ATI 4800 GFX card, which happened to have an HDTV OUT port. Unfortunately I didn't have an adapter for HDTV to COMPONENT... so I went on a hunt for that... surprisingly VERY hard to find... I had to ORDER ONE!

Finally!!! got it all hooked up... But for SOME reason, when I output my video to the HDTV port the computer runs slower... so it would make my screen saver skip frames. I am a perfectionist so the jumpy frames simply won't do.

I tried basically EVERYTHING I could to get it to work better, but nothing would change the dropped frames, through no fault of the haupage. The haupage works surprisingly well. Though I have no use for it, I'll take it back.

I did my last resort, something unimaginable. I took my Canon t3i and set it up on a tripod. I dialed it in perfectly to the monito on my computer. Set it at 60 frames per second and highest resolution (1920 or something?).

It actually works FAIRLY well. I dunno what is better, the haupage or the t3i solution.

TL;DR Haupage didn't end up working as well as I would have liked for recording a screen saver (works for anything else). For some reason outputting to HDTV slows down the frame rate and I don't know why.

Took my Canon SLR t3i; set it up on a tripod and pointed it at my monitor. I recorded the screen saver and the results actually aren't TOO bad... or at least better than anything else I've tried.

I'm still working with the Mirillis Action! support guys to get THAT to work. So that is the last thing I'll try...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing that guide does NOT mention is the screen resoltion of the monitor from the video card.

He talks of recording 720p video so I would have thought that your video card/monitor would have to be set at that. Anything else would cause problems. Just a thought.

Of course, he is recording game play. Is he actually recording the screen or the video before it reaches the screen ?

I would guess the latter. The sample vid, which is of the screen, at the end is too short to establish if there are any issues with direct screen capture.
    Last edited by DB83; 23rd Jun 2012 at 05:59. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  19. In case anyone is interested in the outcome of this project (recording a screen saver) I've finally finished the project after 3 months of work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxoT5eVc5OI&feature=youtu.be

Fastforward to 3:25 to see the direct result of recording the screen saver.

Wouldn't have been able to do it, if not for the helpful people found here in forums like these.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice! She's sure to appreciate it. So that effect of zooming out of a picture that becomes a pixel in another picture is a screensaver? What's it called?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Yes it's really something! Not on my home computer, but if I remember correctly it's called "InfiniteMosaic"; it's quite the screen saver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you mean this: http://mosaicinfinite.com/ . Yes, it is pretty cool. So in the end, was it pointing your Canon camera on a tripod at your monitor that worked for you?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I know this is late to the game, but here's how I would have done it:
    1. Use 2 computers - the one with the screensaver and the one capturing the signal
    2. Computer1: use vid card with HDMI out, set screensize to standard (720 or 1080, 60 or 59.94Hz)
    3. Computer2: use Blackmagic Decklink HDMI input card, use 4-drive Raid-0 or Raid-10
    4. Capture on 2 using lossless codec to Raid drives (using BM DL-supported capture app)
    Shouldn't slow down either PC, nor drop frames, should be at highest resolution, best color. This is NOT encrypted/copy-protected, so there shouldn't be any glitches capping HDMI. Somewhat more money, but the final product would be SWEET.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a similar photo screensaver with a zooming mosaic effect, also pretty good: http://www.animosaix.com/

Pros: No annoying constant nag logo ruining everything by bouncing around on screen in front of everything, goading you to cough up $10 to make it go away, like in mosaicinfinite.

Cons: Only zooms in, not out. Zooming out looks a lot cooler, IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I know this is late to the game, but here's how I would have done it:
    1. Use 2 computers - the one with the screensaver and the one capturing the signal
    2. Computer1: use vid card with HDMI out, set screensize to standard (720 or 1080, 60 or 59.94Hz)
    3. Computer2: use Blackmagic Decklink HDMI input card, use 4-drive Raid-0 or Raid-10
    4. Capture on 2 using lossless codec to Raid drives (using BM DL-supported capture app)
    Shouldn't slow down either PC, nor drop frames, should be at highest resolution, best color. This is NOT encrypted/copy-protected, so there shouldn't be any glitches capping HDMI. Somewhat more money, but the final product would be SWEET.

Scott
    Thanks, that's actually really helpful. Overkill for this particular project and I wouldn't have been able to do it anyways given my hardware, but definitely something that will help me later on.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by p_l View Post
    Here's a similar photo screensaver with a zooming mosaic effect, also pretty good: http://www.animosaix.com/

Pros: No annoying constant nag logo ruining everything by bouncing around on screen in front of everything, goading you to cough up $10 to make it go away, like in mosaicinfinite.

Cons: Only zooms in, not out. Zooming out looks a lot cooler, IMO.
    Cool, I'll have a look at this one. Though I DID drop the $10 and bought infinite MOSAIC haha, it was definitely worth it.
    Quote Quote