VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Am looking for Windows XP to 7 DVD Player or Editor software that can play a dvd frame by frame forward (backwards also would be nice).

Did a forum search and found an older 2009 post "There are no good players that support single frame navigation that I know of, and it depends on your splitter/decoder used. KMplayer can go fwd 1 frame using the "f" key, but backwards doesn't work so well"
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/311914-Frame-by-frame-dvd-player

Hope things have improved.

Also mentions "VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod let you scroll forward and backward one frame at a time with the arrow keys."

Went to their home pages and both seem interesting . Any suggestions or tips using them?

Also any newer apps?

Thanks

Ken
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by KenithOlson View Post
    Also mentions "VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod let you scroll forward and backward one frame at a time with the arrow keys."

Went to their home pages and both seem interesting . Any suggestions or tips using them?
    VirtualDubMod includes an MPEG 2 decoder so it can open MPG/VOB files directly. It also ignores pulldown flags so progressive DVDs look progressive. But it may not maintain A/V sync because of that. It also doesn't open multiple VOB files. So you can't view an entire movie at once.

VirtualDub can use third party source plugins to open various file types. The best way to use VirtualDub to build an index file with DgIndex, then use Mpeg2Source() in an AviSynth script to open the file. You can also use the DirectShow source plugin but it's not frame accurate with MPEG 2 files. You will often see interlace comb lines.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi jagabo,

Forgot to mention that I am a newbie so your explanation was over my head!

From your experience what is the best DVD player or editor to do frame by frame? Maybe add which one also has the lowest learning curve since I am a beginner!

Thanks

Ken
    Quote Quote