VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone.

I own 2 WDTV players (a 1st gen one, and a WTDV Live Plus). I have a large amount of data (crucially, greater than 4 TB). I'd like to connect all my data simultaneously to one of my players, but each has only 2 USB ports, and neither recognize drives over 2 TB. I'd prefer to avoid using a network, and just connect drives locally.

The couple of multi-port USB "splitters" I've used haven't been recognized by either system.

I was wondering - is there a way to do this with these devices? I'm not averse to acquiring another device - is there a similar one with more than 2 USB ports or that can recognize 3 TB drives?

Thanks very much for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not use a NAS to serve the media to your player? Something like this:
    http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS212j&lang=uk

I've been using one for a couple of years and love it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick response! If at all possible, I'd like to avoid setting up a network. I have to admit, I've looked into NAS before and it looks great, but I'm putting a premium on simplicity here, if it is possible. If the USB connections aren't possible, obviously I'll have to try something else, but I'm hoping I can get them to work out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Micca ep350

go to avsforum and you'll see in the ep350 thread that this model handles internal and external storage quite well...with very few hiccups
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reference, Micca EP350 looks great. I see that you can put a big internal drive in it, which is awesome. Do you happen to know if it can read external drives greater than 2 TB via its USB connections?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah it's a little known media player but it is far less buggy than any WD model and it basically does it all with no hassles. And it's cheaper

go here and read the entire 350 thread...or google ep350 3tb or size you want to see that thread and see if any other users do what you want it to do
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Partition your 3GB drive into two partitions. I have mine set up as 2TB & 1TB.

My WDTV Live Plus shows the the first partition as USB 1, the second as USB 2 and my second 2TB drive as USB 3. I haven't tried it, but I'm confident a second partioned drive would show up as USB 3 & 4.

Alternately, my Seagate GoFLex TV combines all three "drives" into one single list.

Edit: As for your USB "splitter", I'm sure you're referring to a USB hub. Those aren't recoginzed by the WDTV Live Plus. I believe the WDTV Live Hub does support a USB Hub or alternately, there's the B-Rad firmware which supports some USB hubs on the WDTV Live Plus.
    Last edited by lingyi; 1st Jun 2012 at 23:47.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll definitely give this a try, thanks for the advice!
    Quote Quote  
  9. NO jaay4 dont go to all that trouble .. far easier and Free .. just flash one of your wdtv (preferably networked one as that will be the later, faster model) with b-rad.cc firmware, then you can use use USB hubs to your hearts content. Just google brad.cc and read the forums .. works well, and it has added bonus youtubeHD on your Wdtv. as previously mentioned by moontrash
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not put all your drives in a MediaSonic 4 Bay USB 2.0 case? http://www.amazon.com/ProBox-Drive-Enclosure-3-5-inch-drive/dp/B002UUPWP6/ref=sr_1_2?s...0060383&sr=1-2

I thought about this, but I build a WHS 2011 with 4TB... ($300)

Why avoid a network? I stream from the server wireless (802.11n) all the time???? In HD too (reduced bit rate, so what...)
    Project Digital: Eliminate All Physical Media is finally underway!
    Quote Quote