VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello folks,
    I have been using DVDfab to convert my Blu rays to mkv files and then to mpg's which play on my PS3 using Playstation media server. The process is a bit complex:
    Dvdfab - blu ray disc to mkv file on my HD. I always keep the lossless audio tracks in tact, no compression to ac3 etc
    mkvmergeGUI - prepares the mkv file for next step(no compression used)
    mkv2vob - converts the latest mkv file to mpg while converting the lossless audio True-HD/DTS-MA track into LPCM.

Lately on several attempts some of the mkv files produce an error in mkv2vob saying "unsupported audio codec"? why does this only happen periodically when I have not changed anything. Most movies work without issue.

Thanks,
    Brandon
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you you stream the mkv with ps3 media server from your computer? It's the best solution until mkv2vob gets updated.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Can't you you stream the mkv with ps3 media server from your computer? It's the best solution until mkv2vob gets updated.
    I believe I could stream the mkv file to the PS3 but unfortunately from my understanding, the lossless audio in the file(trueHD /DTS-MA) will not play. I do not want to convert these audio tracks down to ac3, I prefer the lossless codecs and what was nice is that mkv2vob converted those to LPCM which preserved it.

What are the odds of mkv2vob being updated?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Mkv2vob appears to have had it's last update in Jan. 2011. It's a crap shoot as I've seen some programs that got abandoned for years and the author finally got interested in updating them again (ie. Subtitle Workshop) and others than have apparently been permanently abandoned (ie. MultiAVCHD, VCDeasy). You can try contacting the author and see what he says.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Mkv2vob appears to have had it's last update in Jan. 2011. It's a crap shoot as I've seen some programs that got abandoned for years and the author finally got interested in updating them again (ie. Subtitle Workshop) and others than have apparently been permanently abandoned (ie. MultiAVCHD, VCDeasy). You can try contacting the author and see what he says.
    You are right, its not been updated for quite a while hence the issues most likely. I will try reaching the author to see if i get anywhere.
    Quote Quote