VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When playing VHS tapes in my JVC SR-V10U there is a thin horizontal strip at the bottom of the screen that appears to be stretched or distorted video. This occurs with both professional tapes and ones recorded at home. Turning on the video stabilization feature seems to mostly remove this, but the remainder of the screen then appears to be lower quality. Manually adjusting the tracking also has no effect. This strip only occurs during video playback and not while navigating menus, etc. Does anyone have any idea how to correct this? Thanks.

Just in case, my VCR is connected by S-video/RCA cables to an AV switch box, which is then connected to a Harman Kardon AVR 354 receiver. This then routes video to a Sony LCD TV via HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does it look like the video in this link? If so, then it's normal and you can either mask it out (cover it up), or adjust the overscan (sometimes it's not seen due to overscan depending on the display)

http://preservation.bavc.org/artifactatlas/index.php/Head_Switching_Noise
    Quote Quote  
  3. These nasty border areas were virtually always concealed by our old CRT tube televisions, as that was the standard for framing. Our computer displays and modern LCD televisions are more "accurate" and show every last micrometer of the video, desirable or not.

You can compensate for this by adjusting the framing of your Sony LCD television: press the Menu button and go to Settings, then arrow down to the third icon (which is a screen with four arrowheads in it), arrow right, then arrow down to Display Area and press Enter. You will see a choice of +1, Normal, and -1: each of these will zoom or crop the edges of the video frame in slightly different ways. Try each until that thin noise line is masked out, then leave the TV at that setting.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You guys are awesome. That is exactly what I'm seeing. I had a sneaking suspicion it was something that was only showing up on the new technology. Thanks for the suggested workarounds. I'll have to check if it shows up when I use my analog to digital converter and if so just mask it out. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote