VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Speedfan shows CPU useage and during BR encoding my useage is over 90% on all 8 cores on my I7 running XP But on my AMD 1090T it's only about 50% on four cores with almost no useage on the other two cores running W7.
    Last edited by wulf109; 26th May 2012 at 22:28.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is that for VC-1 as well? I've found that doesn't multi-thread as well as H264. For VC-1, I get about 50%, for H264, 98% or so on my 1090T. All cores about equally active either way.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My useage is both on x264(AVC).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So you are running an 8 core I7 with 6Gb of ram and only running XP
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I7 920 is 4 core with 8 threads.What program are you using to encode?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  7. Monitor using HWINFO:

http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html

If you get the same results then BDRB must be optimized for Intel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very nice program,thanks for pointing me to it. It shows the same 50% usage as Speedfan. You maybe correct in that BDRB is optimized for Intel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I resurrected an AMD X4-620 Propus system and it encodes with 100% cpu useage like my I-7. So it would not seem to be an Intel bias in BDRB. Maybe it doesn't recognize more than 4 physical cores?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Nope, I have a six-core Phenom II 1090T and as I said before, X264 encoder runs in the high nineties, all cores. With BDRB as the front end or anything else that uses X264. Except when re-encoding VC-1. (Decoder bottleneck?)

If you go to Tom's Hardware and look up some of the year-old benchmark articles for the Phenom II six-cores, specifically the results for video encoding, you'll find no hint of anything like what you describe. X264 encoding was one of the few areas where the Phenom II x6 CPUs could top the comparable Intel CPUs, at that time anyway.

I wonder if you shouldn't clear your CMOS and go into your BIOS and make sure you re-enable all six cores.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use a OC'd AMD 1100T six core and do a fair amount of H.264/MKV encodes with RipBot and Handbrake and the CPU usage is always above 90% on all cores. I would check the energy saving settings in the BIOS and the OS to see if there's a problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I installed XP on my 1090T and it now has 100% cpu useage. It would appear my problem was caused by windows 7. I had installed W7 a few weeks ago as an upgrade from XP from the desktop.
    Quote Quote