VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys
    It's been quite a long time since I posted here
    My problem now is that I can't import .avi files in Vegas. I bought a bunch of DVDs of an anime show and I ripped them so I can edit them in Vegas... I have already installed the XviD codec and the h.264 codec in my computer. The error message I get from my software is ''None of the files dropped on Vegas Movie HD Platinum could be opened''. Anyway here is some information on one of the files that aren't accepted. Any help would be very appreciated .

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Windows \Desktop\One piece\one piece episode 535.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 332 MiB
    Duration : 24mn 35s
    Overall bit rate : 1 887 Kbps
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 (build 2439/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2439/release

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : VC-1
    Codec ID : WMV3
    Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Video 9
    Codec ID/Hint : WMV3
    Bit rate : 1 493 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.203
    Stream size : 263 MiB (79%)

Audio #1
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Mode : Joint stereo
    Mode extension : MS Stereo
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Stream size : 33.8 MiB (10%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
    Writing library : Gogo >=3.0

Audio #2
    ID : 2
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 2000
    Duration : 24mn 5s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 33.1 MiB (10%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 43 ms (1.02 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
    Last edited by MultiNikos; 27th May 2012 at 15:06.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by MultiNikos View Post
    Format : VC-1
    Codec ID : WMV3
    Why on earth would you want to edit in WMV, even if Vegas accepted it as input (which apparently it doesn't)?

My suggestion, if you absolutely have to edit, is to convert to a lossless AVI first (Lagarith, HuffYUV, whatever), and then edit that. You'll lose no quality in the process.

My problem now is that I can't import .avi files in Vegas.
    It's an AVI file but it contains WMV video, and not XviD as you seem to indicate.
    Last edited by manono; 24th May 2012 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It's an AVI file but it contains WMV video, and not XviD as you seem to indicate.
    I'm very inexperienced when it comes to video formats conversions etc. that is why I strive for help in here. I said that they're in .avi because when I hit the''Properties'' box by right-clicking the file, it says that it's an .avi file.
    Anyway, orry to bother you again but can you suggest me any good converters or other methods to convert my files to the right format ? I downloaded ''Lagarith'' which you suggested in the upper post but when I run it, the PC finishes the installation in 1 second and nothing happens (no new program installed, nothing new in Program Files directory either).
    Quote Quote  
  4. You haven't said how you did the conversion initially (did you?) so I don't know how to tell you how to do this one. Lagarith is probably installed and available for use, though. Open Virtual Dub and go Video->Compression. Scroll down the list of available codecs and you should see it.

Me, when saving to Lagarith for further filtering I frameserve into VDub using an AviSynth script and then use VDub to do the encoding. Since you aren't ready to do that, maybe someone else can suggest an easy way to convert your VOB files to something you can edit in Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I didn't. I bought the DVDs of the show an a friend of mine ripped, converted them and gave them to me through a Flash Drive.
    Ok, so I didn't get most things you said I'm a noob.
    Is there a good tutorial maybe on YouTube or on another site? Or can you explain me, if you have the time, how you do it yourself please?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MultiNikos View Post
    I didn't. I bought the DVDs of the show an a friend of mine ripped, converted them and gave them to me through a Flash Drive...
    Ok, there's your problem. Your friend doesn't know what they're doing either.

You could try installing the WMV VCM codec so that you can at least use/edit the existing footage. But the damage is already done, and it might be better to go back to your friend and rip them yourself. BTW, do you also have an mp3 codec installed (e.g. Lame)?

However, if you actually don't own those discs (you friend does?) and you are just getting ripped copies, that's a NO-NO! Unless these are home movies, you should buy your own.

If (as you mentioned in the 1st post, but was not so clear in the last post) you actually DID buy them yourself, and your friend is just doing the conversion as a favor to you, then you should try using DVDFabDecrypter to Decrypt to VOB files on HDD, then VOB2MPG to remux them into plain, raw mpeg files. Vegas should be able to edit with MPEG2 files, and that way you wil have one less conversion to lower the quality with.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, I bought them myself and since I'm not good at that stuff he did it for me. Truth be told I asked him myself to convert the files to .avi (it's my favorite format ) .
    Last edited by MultiNikos; 24th May 2012 at 17:41.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry for double posting guys but after installing WMV VCM codec as suggested by Cornucopia, I can edit my files in Vegas. Thank you so much for your help !!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by MultiNikos View Post
    Sorry for double posting guys but after installing WMV VCM codec as suggested by Cornucopia, I can edit my files in Vegas. Thank you so much for your help !!
    His suggestion about decrypting them yourself and using Vob2MPG so you get undegraded video for editing is still a much better solution. I don't use Vegas myself and didn't know whether or not it accepted MPEG video as input. But I'm glad you're on your way.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    His suggestion about decrypting them yourself and using Vob2MPG so you get undegraded video for editing is still a much better solution. I don't use Vegas myself and didn't know whether or not it accepted MPEG video as input. But I'm glad you're on your way.
    Yeah, I will do that.. I'll try it tomorrow!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    The other solution using Vob2MPG worked too
    Quote Quote