VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have the latest version of dvdfab, 8.1.7.8 and have burned dvd's with no problem. i have an asus 12x blu-ray writer, and have followed the directions for blu-rays with dvdfab. the first 1 i did played in my sanyo home theater for a few minutes then pixelated. so, i tried burning a different movie, this time the player displayed "this disc cannot be played". it now says this even on the other disc (the one that did play). could it be because i am using cheap generic blanks? dvdfab suggests verbatim or sony. would this maybe be the problem? i have tried burning right to disc, and also to hard drive then disc. i have used dvdfab to burn with, and also tried imgburn.
    thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    could it be because i am using cheap generic blanks?
    yes...absolutely
    I first test with BD-RE as not to waste discs
    Then burn with imgburn using Optical Quantum BD-R
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    do they play in the drive that burned them?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by catfish_charley View Post
    i hav.e the latest version of dvdfab, 8.1.7.8
    Evidently not seeing as the latest version is 8.1.8.2

If you actually bothered to check if you had the LATEST version or the change log you would see that DVDfab had issues with the last few versions when "ripping" bluray's....

DVDFab 8.1.8.0 Qt Beta (April 28, 2012)
    Fix: A black screen playback problem when copying "Full Disc".
    Which was introduced somewhere around the version you have!!!

and have burned dvd's with no problem.
    That is like comparing apples and a quart of oil!!!
    Not even close to the same thing!!

the first 1 i did played in my sanyo home theater for a few minutes then pixelated. so, i tried burning a different movie, this time the player displayed "this disc cannot be played". it now says this even on the other disc (the one that did play).
    Sounds like a cheap disc problem.

could it be because i am using cheap generic blanks?
    BINGO!!!!!!

dvdfab suggests verbatim or sony. would this maybe be the problem?
    Maybe.... but you never said what cheap brand of disc you used......

i have tried burning right to disc, and also to hard drive then disc. i have used dvdfab to burn with, and also tried imgburn.
    thanks!
    OY VEY!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Your drive, if it's the Asus BW-12B1ST, is probably a Lite-On iHBS112 rebadge. It would help if you verified the exact model number by opening ImgBurn -> Discovery. While you're at it, put in one of your blanks and find the MID (media code), i.e. the actual manufacturer of the discs.

When you say "generic" BDRs, I think chances are they're Optodics. Meritline, for instance, sells them as "Acro-Circle", "Merax", and "Generic". All shite. But regardless of that, it seems your drive has no viable write strategy for your blanks, whatever they are. It happens; my LG won't burn Optodiscs correctly, even though ImgBurn will report a successful burn, they fail verification. And exhibit the symptoms you describe on a standalone player.

Anyway, all good points made by other posters. Use ImgBurn only and keep your decrypter up to date. And try some known good discs like Verbatims.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for all the great input everyone!! I'll try some better discs, and update my dvdvfab.
    Quote Quote  
  7. the discs are inland pro. my writer is asus bw-12b1st
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As others have mentioned,you should use Imgburn to burn your disks. It's very smart and will prompt to apply the correct burn settings.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by catfish_charley View Post
    the discs are inland pro. my writer is asus bw-12b1st
    Oh well, *usually* with specific identifiers, the lists for writers and media over <-- there can provide some guidance. Not this time. Never heard of "inland pro". Bet that's your problem.

Again, try some Verbatims, then once you have some success, you might see what other discs are compatible with your burner. I've done on my LG over 100 each of CMC_MAG and RITEK without a dud, and they're a good bit cheaper than Verbatim. (Contrary to their deserved reputations for DVDR media). That's verified and tested to play on two Sony and one LG standalones. The Riteks are sold as RiData and the CMCs are sold as Philips. Oddly, Philips MID are sold as Optical Quantum, and many users report good success with them. Falcon Smart-Blu BDRs are well thought-of over at MyCE.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have found that some of the total crap brands for DVD-R work fine on my Pioneer Blu Ray burner. I've used CMC_MAG and RITEK as well with zero problems. I also use Quantum BD-R DL as well, no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  11. bought and tried some verbatims today. SUCCESS!!! they seem to work just fine! THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
    Quote Quote  
  12. also found that JVC works as well.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't know for your particular recorder/player but RITEK is a relatively cheap brand I have hadn't had any issues in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Roughy View Post
    I don't know for your particular recorder/player but RITEK is a relatively cheap brand I have hadn't had any issues in the past.
    It's a long story, but due to not doing my research I was horrified to find out that the Japanese TDK BD-R discs I bought were made by Ritek. They were actually OK. But I don't recommend Ritek for DVD media and I won't buy those discs again. The only reason I bought them was I wanted some BD-R discs that were inkjet printable and it was during a period of some months when JVC/Taiyo Yuden stopped producing LTH BD-R discs (production has since resumed). We recommend Verbatim because the quality is high but those on a budget may wish to try other brands for BD-R media.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yeah, for anything I consider important, I use Verbatims. I don't consider Blu-Ray backups to be important, since it's just a matter of a do-over from the original disc. (With 3 HDTVs in my house and a Blu-Ray standalone hooked up to each, well, you see why I make the backups. Plus I hate trailers and menus, etc. Though my newest TV can play MKVs direct from hard drive.)

Still, it's notable that the cheap discs mentioned have so far proven to be quite reliable, on my LG burner. It's still hard to have full confidence in them, given how poor their DVD media is, but there you are.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  16. i tried some memorex discs. only they were made by ritek! won't play in my sanyo home player.
    Quote Quote  
  17. This is about DVDFAB 8.2.2.6 but it is true for all the versions I have tried. It is also true for many media brands and player brands. For certain blu-rays (maybe 20%) the resulting copy, either compressed to bd5 or not compressed for bd9, has a black screen failure on the standalone players. Yet the copy will play on the computer drive. Also, if you extract the main movie only, it will play on the standalone players. This last fact shoots down the theory that its media-related.

It seems that something in the blu ray menu is messed up by DVDFAB and the standalone players can not recognize it and fail. The computer somehow avoids that problem.

Has anyone solved this problem. I've tried different options and versions of DVDFAB without success.
    Quote Quote