VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey there fellow members, I am new to the boards, and I am seeking for assistance with the Black Magic intensity pro capture card, I have recently got around to setting it up. I installed the drivers from the disc that was included, uncertain if that is a bad idea. I have my connections as 2 hdmi cables one from the tv and the other from the 360. A few problems, I have no ingame audio during play back but it detects the sound on the wave bars during recording. Secondly I get pretty bad frame drops is there any way to fix that? Two final questions would a hdmi splitter allow me to play my 360 without turning my computer on? Finally is it possible to record voice or do I have to record with another recording program?

Thanks for hearing me out and future thanks for help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A lack of audio when playing back a previously recorded file could be a problem related to the audio output used. Blackmagic recommends using the BMI's audio outputs. See the FAQs at http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/faqs/?sid=3957&pid=0&os=

You probably need 2 dedicated capture hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration to avoid the frame drops, especially if you are capturing uncompressed video. A single SSD or a WD VelociRaptor may be enough, if you are capturing using a losslessly compressed format or MJPEG. The system drive definitely can't be used for capture.

Yes, you could use a powered/active HDMI splitter so the PC does not have to be turned on while playing a game. One leg of the split would go to the BMI HDMI input and the other would go to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I figured as much with the frame drops just wanted to confirm it, would using a external hard drive suffice, my computer case seems to be a little clustered I want to stay out of it as much as possible after doing 4-5 different builds I'd like to take a break hehe. What do you mean by the BMI's audio outputs? I have mine set to 1080i on the software used to record, should I go lower and should any other programs be running along side it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can adjust the BM MJPEG compression ratio to work with a second internal SATA drive. An external eSATA drive will work near equally well but expect problems with a USB drive (about half the sustained data threshold).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by XxSwiftyxX View Post
    Hey there fellow members, I am new to the boards, and I am seeking for assistance with the Black Magic intensity pro capture card, I have recently got around to setting it up. I installed the drivers from the disc that was included, uncertain if that is a bad idea. I have my connections as 2 hdmi cables one from the tv and the other from the 360. A few problems, I have no ingame audio during play back but it detects the sound on the wave bars during recording. Secondly I get pretty bad frame drops is there any way to fix that? Two final questions would a hdmi splitter allow me to play my 360 without turning my computer on? Finally is it possible to record voice or do I have to record with another recording program?

XxSwiftyxX,
    The disk speed requirements for capturing with the Intensity Pro can be taxing on the system. There is a drive speed test program included in the package that will test your drive(s) and give you the MB/sec. Allow a margin over what the results shown to insure no dropped frames. I capture at 1080i 59.95 and I have a 3x RAID 0 6Gb/sec SATA array to support the capture. Also it is a good idea to shut down any virus checkers and other programs running in the background. You may run into HDCP issues with some sources. The card will not capture a source that has HDCP in it. Other methods must be used to remove the HDCP.

The BMI Pro expects down mixed PCM audio in the HDMI stream to support audio capture. If you are capturing with HDMI input there are two settings in the Black Magic Control panel that select the audio source. You can either select HDMI or analog input in conjunction with the HDMI video input.

You didn't indicate what resolution of video you are attempting to capture. Lower resolutions don't require a fast a disk system. Capturing RAW video takes a lot of disk space to hold the data.

You might also update to the latest drivers/program releases from the BM website.

Let us know how you make out,

rcubed
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by the BMI's audio outputs?
    The BMI's FAQs say the following:
    When capturing and playing back, audio will be output from the card’s audio outputs. Most software will not pass the audio being captured, or played back to the system audio, or to a dedicated sound card.
    The BMI has AES/SPDIF out, and stereo audio out. I don't know if it can supply audio from its HDMI out.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
    Hey there fellow members, I am new to the boards, and I am seeking for assistance with the Black Magic intensity pro capture card, I have recently got around to setting it up. I installed the drivers from the disc that was included, uncertain if that is a bad idea. I have my connections as 2 hdmi cables one from the tv and the other from the 360. A few problems, I have no ingame audio during play back but it detects the sound on the wave bars during recording. Secondly I get pretty bad frame drops is there any way to fix that? Two final questions would a hdmi splitter allow me to play my 360 without turning my computer on? Finally is it possible to record voice or do I have to record with another recording program?

XxSwiftyxX,
    The disk speed requirements for capturing with the Intensity Pro can be taxing on the system. There is a drive speed test program included in the package that will test your drive(s) and give you the MB/sec. Allow a margin over what the results shown to insure no dropped frames. I capture at 1080i 59.95 and I have a 3x RAID 0 6Gb/sec SATA array to support the capture. Also it is a good idea to shut down any virus checkers and other programs running in the background. You may run into HDCP issues with some sources. The card will not capture a source that has HDCP in it. Other methods must be used to remove the HDCP.

The BMI Pro expects down mixed PCM audio in the HDMI stream to support audio capture. If you are capturing with HDMI input there are two settings in the Black Magic Control panel that select the audio source. You can either select HDMI or analog input in conjunction with the HDMI video input.

You didn't indicate what resolution of video you are attempting to capture. Lower resolutions don't require a fast a disk system. Capturing RAW video takes a lot of disk space to hold the data.

You might also update to the latest drivers/program releases from the BM website.

Let us know how you make out,

rcubed
    Thanks for the great and fast responses, I am going to try and shoot for 720p for less uploading times on youtube, and have some type of quality in the videos. I will have to try and see if I can get to the driver page support for the website seems scarce I tried finding the drivers through a link found on another site linking to the BM website and it said the page didn't exist. Ill have to see if there is better versions for my software.

Thanks for clearing that up Usually Quiet, you'll have to bare with me I am not up to date on most of this stuff I am a plug in and pray for dear life it works :P But I will have to do some tinkering on my down time and pick up that powered HDMI splitter next.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    XxSwiftyxX,
    Here's the link to BMIP for Win software

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/?os=win&sid=3947&pid=3989&leg=true

I thought at one time I remember updating the firmware, but the technical specs say the firmware is loaded at start up time with the drivers.

This link has the option to select the archives for the all software updates. I'm using the most recent.

They don't make it easy to find.

rcubed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi XxSwiftyxX,

X360 wil work OK on BMI on play games because is not have HDCP, only in movies HD-DVD.

Try using 720p because its 60fps and progressive. No necessary deinterlace after capture.

Try Virtualdub to record. Its have a nice feature (No Video), using a codec like UT VIDEO or LAGARITH you can record with No frame drops in 720p.

BMI has HDMI passtrough use it.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks Rcubed they really do not make it easy in any sense to find the software, it's like their support services dropped off the radar. Once I get home I am going to get all the latest software and see if a problem still persists.

Claudio thanks! I am going to use 720p certainly as I don't need 1080i for youtube video's and I will download Virtualdub as well, if it is new user friendly. The codecs work with the BMI?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...and I will download Virtualdub as well, if it is new user friendly. The codecs work with the BMI?
    Why not use BM's MJPEG codec and capture app?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Why not use BM's MJPEG codec and capture app?
    1 - Blackmagic MJPEG has typical JPEG artefacting, especially around lettering (the usual pixel fuzziness around lettering, for example)

2 - The VFW codec wouldn't accept a YUV 4:2:2 input, I had to feed it 24-bit RGB (Ut Video Codec will accept both)

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well I figured out the sound, when I have it plugged into my television I can only hear the audio through my television during playback I can't hear it on my computer until I save it now this is where I am having troubles I record and then exit and it asks me to save so I do that, and when I try to play it the audio and video is terrible out of sync and is laggy, but then when I save the video it is in a xml format and can only be opened in the media express software, any idea's? I am stumped.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by XxSwiftyxX View Post
    Well I figured out the sound, when I have it plugged into my television I can only hear the audio through my television during playback I can't hear it on my computer until I save it now this is where I am having troubles I record and then exit and it asks me to save so I do that, and when I try to play it the audio and video is terrible out of sync and is laggy, but then when I save the video it is in a xml format and can only be opened in the media express software, any idea's? I am stumped.
    I'm having the exact same problem, but I'm using component input and output. No sound when recording, but audio levels are moving. I save it, open up in Sony Vegas and I can hear the audio, but it quickly becomes out of sync with the video. Really would like some help with this as well.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Icedout, XxSwiftyxX,
    For my Intensity Pro (IP) I feed the audio from the source into the dongle (red/white) input of the break out cable that plugs into the Intensity Pro card. This was when I was capturing from a Fury III using component video as the source. I've never had a problem with audio getting out of sync.

If somehow you are using an audio card, or onboard audio chip as a source input for your sound that may cause a miss alignment with the video stream. Make sure on the Blackmagic Control Panel you have the proper type of source selected. I'm currently using HDMI input so the audio is imbedded in the HDMI stream, but when I used a HD Fury III device with component input to IP I had to select Component Video and analog RCA audio, and feed the audio source (red/white) RCA into the audio input in the break out cable into the IP. If I used my Pegasus card it would not record the HDMI audio so in that case I had to use the RCA audio out from the source into the IP.

On your PC to hear the audio you have to feed the audio out from the Intensity Pro break out cable back into the line in input on your mobo or a sound card if you have it. If you want the audio on both your pc and a TV you could use the audio out of the pc/sound card to input to the TV or split the audio out signal from the IP card. That might cause an impedance miss match that would at least affect the sound payback or level while monitoring. Would probably cause a decrease in listening volume level (not the recorded). If the audio level captured is too low adjust the source level if possible, or demux the captured audio and adjust the audio level and remux. There are no adjustments in the IP for volume level captured.

I capture at 1080i 59.94 because that is what the set top box puts out (I have that resolution selected in the box). In that case the capture is in an avi file. I've tried DPX capture format, but I get HD over runs (RAID can't keep up). I never really tried jpeg capture format, you might have to check with the documentation for the IP on how they handle audio in those cases. It should be possible to split the video and audio out of the avi file. If necessary I do that with AviSynth or a demuxer program.

The IP is very sensitive to dropped frames. There is a setting in Media Express that allows you to untick the stop capture if dropped frames are detected. If you are ignoring dropped frames that could account for the audio sync issue. When I checked with IP support they indicated you really don't want to capture with dropped frames. They didjn't elaborate and I didn't ask, but I suspect it has to do with the audio/video sync and video playback with discontinuities.

I get really p-ssed when my cable source causes dropped frames. I have to find another time to record (usually a move), or if it's VOD go back, and at least capture the messed up area in a new file, then cut the video in AviSynth and append the new part and possibly if the new piece does not go the end of the capture, do more appends/cuts in AviSynth to get the whole video and audio stream in place. Then you have to save the edited file back to disk. It's not a pleasant process to go through, especially with the very large 1080i 59.94 files. It's time consuming and requires a lot of HD storage.

Since I normally allow a small amount of video before and after the movie, you can either note the frames and tell the encoding program to only encode the frames from a to b, or edit the encoded video to remove the excess.

However if you are capturing game play real time stopping on dropped frames would be a real bitch. The other reason for audio getting out of sync might be the source, but I wouldn't think that would be the case. Also that can happen if you are changing the fps on the source or when you are editing the video.

Hope this helps,

rcubed
    Last edited by rcubed; 25th Apr 2013 at 02:24. Reason: typos
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The one suggestion that I have is that if you are getting a HDMI splitter I would recommend getting one that removes the HDMI HDCP copy protection. Theres a ongoing thread that tells you which ones work at removing HDCP. I have posted the link below.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers/page6
    Quote Quote