VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone. I have a hauppauge HD PVR that I use to capture HD material with. My dad and I are huge sports fans and I want to put some videos on a standard dvd because all he has is a standard dvd player. I know that it won't be hd once I put it on a dvd but I don't care about that. I just want a hi-quality video on the dvd so he can watch it. I have some software that I use to make dvds that works well but it can't re-encode the h264 mp4 with that software. SO, I guess my question is, what do I have to do to get the HD video, its 720p h264 mp4, on a dvd?

1. Can I convert the video to an mpeg2 and burn it that way so long as I take it down to 720x480? If so, what program can I use to do so? Free or payware
    2. If I capture in 480p will it already be in 720x480?
    3. I apologize I know this subject is like beating a dead horse but I haven't found what I am looking for. Everywhere I have looked, all I see is people being directed towards avchd which my dad has nothing he can play a disc like that on. I really appreciate any help in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can us the arcsoft software that came with the hd pvr. It can output to dvd. In the create section choose dvd instead of avchd.

Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3
    1. Can I convert the video to an mpeg2 and burn it that way so long as I take it down to 720x480? If so, what program can I use to do so? Free or payware
    Yes. avstodvd is one such program that will do a good job of it. Just note it will not look as good as the original high def material since you will be losing that much resolution. It will still look good just not as good as the hd.

Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3
    2. If I capture in 480p will it already be in 720x480?
    Yes. 480p is 720x480 progressive video.

Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3"
    I apologize I know this subject is like beating a dead horse but I haven't found what I am looking for. Everywhere I have looked, all I see is people being directed towards avchd which my dad has nothing he can play a disc like that on. I really appreciate any help in advance.
    If you have a ps3 you can play avchd which is high def on dvd.

If you have at least a dual core computer you can playback avchd (probably possible on a single core if you have a decent graphics card but could be choppy)

If you have a regular bluray player you SHOULD be able to playback avchd. However as I understand it not every bluray player will play avchd but most SHOULD. Read the manual to be sure.

And if you had a settop media player like a wdtv you could play your captured h264 file directly off a harddrive with no need for discs. You could play the original high def file with no conversions - though no menus other than the media players user interface that is. The file would just start playing.

And just an fyi that software that came with the hd pvr is pretty complete with its own instructions (or on the hauppauge website). It can guide you through it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks so much. I am going the avstodvd route first. Just to see what happens. After that I'm going to try using the software that came with the Hauppauge. AVStoDVD seems to be taking quite sometime. I may use the software that came with the Hauppauge to create a dvd folder and then use that to plug into my normal authoring software. It may be a little quicker.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The audio sync near the end of the dvd is horrible. What can I do to remedy this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post
    The audio sync near the end of the dvd is horrible. What can I do to remedy this?
    Is that on the end of the burned dvd? Or is it in the folder on the computer before burning?

If its on the dvd itself than try burning to a different disc. It could be a bad disc.

If its on the structure itself before burning you should try reencoding it. You do still have the original file correct?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok lets take this from the top.
    1. I used the AVStoDVD and made a dvd. It was pretty off from that. so then...
    2. I said heck I'll try the total Media Extreme software. The audio was a little bit off from going that route. What I did was just tell Total Media to save the resulting audio/video ts folders to my computer. When it was done, I used vobmerge to merge the 3 resulting vobs (all three vobs made up the whole video). Then I put them in Womble easy dvd and made a menu and all that, created it and burned the iso image with imgburn. I don't like using the womble software to burn because it usually screws up.

So I checked the original video it was fine. After TME it was a little bit off and then after authoring again with Womble it was the furthest off. I should have just used the TME software to make the movie. I went through all the extra trouble of doing it with womble and thats what messed it up to make unbearable. Just a quick for future reference, can I fix the bad video? I have video redo or will anothe piece of software make it work a little better?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I guess I should make myself a little more clear, The movie with TME was still off enough to make it a little annoying and I'd like to fix this if there is a way......
    Quote Quote  
  8. If it's off by the same amount all the way through, then you can often set a delay in the authoring program. Or remove the delay entirely using Delay Cut before authoring.

If it gets worse as the movie goes along then I would look to the capturing process. Maybe you're dropping frames.
    Quote Quote