VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So how to hack region free on Sony BDP-S185? I see that videohelp has tips on it but it's sending to some internet link which is dead, see:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sony-bdp-s185/11633

Also is there a way to hack it so I have more freedom in internet browsing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Lucky Starr View Post
    Also is there a way to hack it so I have more freedom in internet browsing?
    What?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Most Sony and Samsung models CANNOT be hacked. Ever. Well, if you live in Australia you have a chance but if you live anywhere else, you are out of luck. Sony's BluRay players basically can't be hacked outside of Australian models. If you live in Australia you can contact Sony Australian technical support for help with this.

If you want to try, you have to buy a special remote. There are no guarantees that it will work. And we're not responsible for bad links, so sorry, but there's nothing we can do about that. Do note that if you ever get this unlocked that it will only be region free for DVD playback.

I have no idea what you mean by "internet browsing" with this model. If there are some kind of restrictions you will not be able to remove those.
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK thanks for the help. And by more "internet browsing" freedom I was hoping there was a way to set it so I can visit more internet pages then they restricted it to me or to get more from the one they allowed me, for instance I can go to "Daily Motion" but only on few channels although for "Youtube" I have free search bar too look any video posted on it.

I also hear of some people installing "Linux" on it so would that be any help on that getting more internet browsing freedom?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think what you are referring to is just direct connections that the player supports to a few sites like YouTube, etc. In the USA many players can go to Netflix so subscribers can stream videos. You would need a real browser to do more than this. There's not likely any room for such in the firmware.

I looked up this player and Amazon sells it. I am going to be blunt. I have NEVER heard of ANY Sony BD player sold in the USA and Canada that can be hacked. The only successful hacks ever done on Sony BD players were a few in Europe and also in Australia.

I did a quick search and I can't find any mention of anyone talking about putting Linux on this. I think you are confusing this with some old PS3 info. What it would take to get Linux on the player, if it could even be done at all, would essentially make the player completely useless to you for disc playing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. What is up with Sony and this player? For the last year it's blocking me more and more channels on youtube. It doesn't allow me to go on channels like "Justforlaughs", team coco, democracy now, screenjunkies... it's total terror and they should be sent to Guantanamo Bay. I'm really losing patience with DVD/blu-ray players and switching exclusivity to computers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sony is evil. There are still good DVD and BluRay players out there - IF you don't buy Sony.

Philips still makes a few DVD players that can be made region free and play a variety of older formats like VCD and SVCD.

I don't own one, but based on reports here, LG makes some nice BluRay players that support a lot of formats. Not sure about unlocking their stuff. I have a Samsung 3D BluRay player that is really nice and I like it a lot, but it can't be unlocked.

I have an older Insignia BluRay player that I unlocked for DVD and BluRay playback. It serves my needs if I need to watch a BluRay disc from another region.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well I bought Sony after two Philips DVD players died on me in two years.
    Quote Quote