VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys i recently find this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcrP25o8AAE&feature=related
    anyone knows how to connect the motor of the tape mechanism to work like he did, but without the rest of the vcr I have 2 mechanisms that can be used for this and i really hate to manually clean some of the tapes it takes days
    Quote Quote  
  2. None of you guys are interested in this

I started the project yesterday i will update with pictures when i finish, if it is successful
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is interesting for sure and would be a great time saver. Not sure I understand where the chassis and capstans come from to make this.
    Would be interested in seeing your parts list and your progress, as well as your impression.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  4. You could do much simpler i believe with a real vcr, the heads on the drum may not like it though.

If you pay attention at what he does, he put isopropyl everywhere.If i were him i would have put only on the first chamois only the others to remove fluid and dust particles
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Or you can do the same with a Tape Rewinder being heavily modified? I seriously need to clean some of my tapes, and i really like what this guy has done!

Someone make a tutorial!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to preserve the tape you remove particles? How does this affect playback? If the tape is flaking (old tapes especially) this would be a no-no. Baking the tape might work if the tape was precious. A bud of mine has that down pat with audio tapes. Should work for video as well...

What we need is a tute for making the apparatus rather than a how to use. Need an English language one as well...

Thanks for the link...
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you pay attention at what he does, he put isopropyl everywhere.If i were him i would have put only on the first chamois only the others to remove fluid and dust particles
    I see he puts only on the first 3 not all of them.

You could do much simpler i believe with a real vcr, the heads on the drum may not like it though.
    Yes master the problem is that i have 2 svhs machines not working that are laying around the mechanism is working but cannot push tapes inside and i saw this as a good opportunity to try it.

The problem that i saw is that if i put the whole mechanism ( which i done ) on the plate as he has done it is connected to the controller and then to main board, which commands the commands fast forward and rewind. but cannot work outside only by it self the motor works on 12v so it is not problem to work alone, but in that case you cant align mechanism ( without parts and controller and video head, and you cannot control it by switches like he is doing but only trough power supply which is mess.
    Also if you see when the tape reaches end the mechanism stops ( by it self ) which i couldn't produce, and it seems pretty simple.
    Another problem is that i cant find the service schematics for my panny nv hs 1000, which can shed light on the whole setup inside the vcr which can be used alone on the project.
    I was on the vacation the last week so i didn't give much time to the project, i hope someone here can help with instruction on how to build it not use it ( which i assume we all know ).
    It will be very usefully because i assume a lot of the guys here have some "broken" vcrs that are laying around and that can be used as tape cleaners.

If you want to preserve the tape you remove particles? How does this affect playback? If the tape is flaking (old tapes especially) this would be a no-no. Baking the tape might work if the tape was precious. A bud of mine has that down pat with audio tapes. Should work for video as well...
    This is just cleaning the tape that got greased by dirty heads or something else it is not good for tapes that are "falling apart"
    I done this many times ( around 7 tapes ) by hand and it really works, and you safe the constant, gloging of the head from dirty tapes and it gives better ( with fewer or none drop outs ) so it is worth it but doing it by hand is really really slow (think couple (many) of hours), and you will give up pretty soon.

I wanted to try to bake the tapes but i have regular owen and i heard that you need precise temp mechanisms to keep it constant because peaks can ruin it, but i will try it anyway on some unimportant tape some day
    Quote Quote  
  8. Guys i finally got hands on 2 VCR's from my relatives ( that were going to be thrown in the junk, thanks cousins .
    The first is Samsung VD306 regular VCR the other is Camacrown model number unknown the Samsung looks like very simple mechanism and good for the project of cleaning machine. The vcr works perfectly the picture is not so bad and tracking, before i start I have 2 questions concerning.

1. Can playing tape ( or ff or rw ) which is in bad shape ( meaning sticky and dirty, by picking gunk from another dirty vcr ) "clean" the tape by spreading all that gunk on the head and path ( on the Samsung cleaned properly before) and after that the gunk is on the vcr instead of the tape it self right?

2. Will putting the cleaning material ( with double sided sticky tape on one side sicked to the head and path , and the other side sticking the Camille sheet, ruin the head of the vcr?

I will post pictures tomorrow, when i have the time, but i think that i have the perfect cleaning machine for the tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I look forward to the pictures show off
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote