VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is prefered, to leave it at max 100% and control from the speakers or lower the players volume to prevent the speaker from distorting the audio itself? I find in MPC having it at near 60% to give less distortion no matter how high i go with speaker's volume relativily but not vice versa.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, software players can definitely distort volume. However it depends upon the player.

But it'd be quite unlikely that you'd get best results at 60% volume. You may be overdriving a preamp stage or your speakers.

If there's a global setting for mpc-hc volume (I forget, I uninstalled it some time ago) it may be set to max 250% or whatever.

See here for an excellent explanation of how problems can arise (Benchmark makes state of the art audio D/A and A/D converters and, since their stuff is aimed at the pro market, the tech support is really good):

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/Digital_volume_control

I actually use smplayer or, rarely, vlc just for video. For audio it's foobar2000. Despite the clunky interface and Godawful docs it just works. For it I leave the volume at 100% and use the windows global volume control, which works well.
    Quote Quote