VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I normally burn my AVI video files onto normal DVD's but I now have some HD footage that I would like to burn onto Blu Ray. What is the best software to do this.

I have been using DVD Flick for my DVD's but not sure if this supports burning to Blu Ray?

Thanks In Advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use imgburn to do the actual burning to disc.

It appears dvd flick is solely for dvds.

If you are looking for freeware try tsmuxer or multiavchd. However neither have been updated in a long time.

For payware options check out tmpgenc for its bluray authoring software. I used there dvd software and was pleased with the results. I am sure the bluray authoring is also acceptable.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try MultiAVCHD if you have more than one file and want menus. It's free and works pretty good.

If you don't want a menu then tsmuxer would be the choice I would think.
    Quote Quote  
  4. AVCHD Decoder for me is way too slow. I was trying to do 3 movies about 22gb and it was going to take 5 hrs + for the first pass of the encoder. MultiAVCHD takes only about 40minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    My vote goes with multiAVCHD too. Ok, so I had a few little teething issues but once worked out it performs very well on any media files I have thrown at it, only performs transcoding if needed and can produce some very good quality transcoded output. It can also output to a large variety of solid media, not just discs, ie on a thumbdrive or memory card. Also for my tastes the process workflow just seemed more natural.

It instructs you to install AVIsynth and ImgBurn but also install the K-Lite codec pack (which holygamer advised me of) and this will give you the best chance of up front doing what you want without any glitches. P.S. All are all free.

In respect of speed. When I tried AVCHDCoder it did not utilise my AMD GPU to perform encoding h264 and as such transcoding did take a LOT longer, even on an i7 with 16G of fast RAM. multiAVCHD by comparison (well probably Avisynth and the k-lite codec pack installed) did utilise the AMD GPU capability to encode h264 in transcoding. Even on two pass encoding at highest quality it was was much much faster. Your results to some measure will depend on your video card, it's driver and how the codecs are configured on your machine. K-lite codes pack installs a codec manager/tweaker which may allow you to get AVCHDCoder to utilise the GPU properly too. I didn't persist with it once I got MultiAVCHD sorted and working how I wanted.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The negatives of multiAVCHD.

1) It is no longer being developed and has been abandoned by its author. This may not necessarily be a problem, but you do need to understand that if you encounter a bug, there may be no way around it.
    2) In my opinion (yours may vary) the documentation that exists is good only if you want to do a few specific things. If you need to do something that the docs don't cover, you'll have to figure out how to do it on your own.
    3) A minority of BD players cannot play anything it produces. Again, this is not a common issue but it does exist. Do your first burns to re-writable discs because you may need to tweak the output settings to get something that works with your player.

If you just need a simple disc with no menus (but you can put chapters in it) then it's hard to beat tsmuxer for speed and simplicity. Even fussy BD players like mine (Momitsu), which will not play anything multiAVCHD produces, will play what tsmuxer produces.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for all your help, will give all suggestions a go probably at the weekend when I have some time.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    True jman98, there are indeed negatives needing consideration.

So in fairness I'll add a few myself.

It did not do what I wanted on installation, following instructions on their website. I had to tinker with codecs, try options etc to get it to do all the things I wanted it to do, which is not for everyone. I probably spent 30 hours getting it to work. In a way I dread ever having to re-install, though now I know it's possible it won't be as bad as the first time (I say that now I dutifully started keeping a record of settings I tried and log file results, however as my frustration and determination not to let it beat me set in this quickly gave way and I now have no record of how I obtained the current configuration. I would have given up on it if not for this forum and Holygamer's suggestion about installing K-Lite codecs.

Documentation is indeed minimal, fragmented and poor. I've found out more functionality by playing or accident than by reading anything about it.

It is my gut feeling that the tinkering with codecs configurations has allowed it access to GPU encode capability. This is great news for me, but I'm guessing some (perhaps many) out there will not be so lucky and thus transcoding will be laboriously performed by the CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I use Cyberlink Power Director 10. Easy to use and pretty fast. Also, you can download from the producer's website many user made templates, titles, intros for DVD and Blu-Ray. The only shortcoming, the software is not free.
    Quote Quote