VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Avidemux to cut portions of MP4 files encoded with H.264. It does the job, but when I move between keyframes (Avidemux calls them Intra Frames, but I think that it is the same thing), the picture shown in the preview area is wrong. This is a major problem, because keyframes are essential when editing. The preview shown corresponds to a frame that is a bit further or a bit back in the video. Therefore, unless I am very careful, I cut in the wrong frame. This makes the preview almost useless.

Right now I am using this workaround: I move between keyframes until the preview shows a picture that corresponds more or less to the point where I want to make the cut. I know that the preview is wrong, but I also know that I'm not too far from the right keyframe. I have found out that moving a frame back from a keyframe shows the right preview, so I do that. Then I move a frame forward, which brings me back to the keyframe, but this time the preview is right. Now I know that I'm seeing the real content of the keyframe. The first time I always find that I'm at the wrong place, but I also know that the right keyframe is not too far and whether it's forward or backwards. I move one keyframe forward (or backwards) and I get the right preview by repeating the process of moving one frame back and one frame forward. If I have arrived to the right keyframe, I set the cutting point there and I'm done. Otherwise, I move to the next keyframe and keep repeating the process until I find the right cutting point.

Although this workaround works, it's extremely tedious, especially if I want to make many cuts in the video. Is there a way to make Avidemux show the right preview, or another tool that performs this task properly?
    Quote Quote  
  2. are you using 2.6.x beta or 2.5.x?

2.6 versions handle h.264 much better

http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/

Or you can use videoredo beta 4, or solveigmm video trimmer . These last 2 are not free, but they are frame accurate because they do smart rendering (re-encode the few frames around a cutsite) - so don't have to cut on keyframes
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using 2.5.4. I'll try 2.6 and I'll let you know how it works.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just tried 2.6 and it works very well! There are still a few minor glitches, but nothing really important. Normally I'm quite reluctant to try beta versions, but this one was really worth it. Thank you so much, this has solved a problem that had been annoying me for a long time!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like they slicked up the interface a little too.
    Last edited by budwzr; 7th May 2012 at 17:13.
    Quote Quote