VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What's your favorite current sci-fi show?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mine would be supernatural and then fringe.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mine would be Doctor Who followed by Eureka and then Fringe. Didn't Fox cancel Terra Nova and put it up for sale? Last i heard there were no interested buyers which is a shame my wife really like that show. As a result of the cancellation she has vowed to never watch Fox again.

What no Chuck, Falling Skies or Alphas?
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Chuck is more of a comedy,i included the other 2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Chuck is more of a comedy,i included the other 2.
    Thanks, a lot of my female friends love those two shows.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doctor Who is my favorite, although I watch most of the others, plus a few that aren't on the list, like Lost Girl.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i second supernatural, i consider it one of the best sci-fi/horror series ever, better than buffy, angel, charmed, though walking dead comes a close second.

i also like nikita quite a bit, don't think it qualifies as "sci-fi" though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Voted for Fringe, have watched many of the other shows but none of them really 'do it for me' for too long.
    In the beginning I had a real love/hate relationship with Fringe, but I'm glad I stuck it out.
    I like the reboot of Dr. Who since 2005 and Love Torchwood (which didn't seem to make the list), but I still have to be in the right mood to watch them.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll keep adding shows i missed so mention em.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I lost interest in Eureka by season 2... Did it get better?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    plus a few that aren't on the list, like Lost Girl.
    Do tell what are the others, I'm a sci-fi nut, so i would no doubt be interested. I just recently found out about Lost Girl I like Kenzie a lot she reminds me of Claudia from Warehouse 13, which is another good sci-fi show it has a good action with just the right mix of comedy.

Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    I lost interest in Eureka by season 2... Did it get better?
    Imo Eureka season 3 was better than season 2, and season 4 was better than season 3. Season 5 has started off very good thus far.

Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    i also like nikita quite a bit, don't think it qualifies as "sci-fi" though.
    I like Nikita as well. I had my doubts about the show at first, having grown up seeing the Original movie, the US knock-off, and the 1997 TV series Le Femme Nikita. I thought Maggie Q might not be able to pull it off but boy was i wrong she is excellent in the role.in the role.
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 6th May 2012 at 21:10.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Too bad its Eurekas last season.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is Warehouse 13 still going?

I watched a little since the guy who played Donny on Fraser was in it. It wasn't bad but I lost interest and didn't stick with it.

----

Originally Posted by dragonkeeper
    Didn't Fox cancel Terra Nova and put it up for sale? Last i heard there were no interested buyers which is a shame my wife really like that show.
    Yes you are correct.

It technically should be removed from the list. But I guess it could stay there as an "incomplete" or "unsure" status since it could get picked up somewhere.

I too liked it.

My theory is that thing they found during the finale was off a ship from the bermuda triangle Thats the other gateway.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Warehouse 13 had a cliffhanger season ending so it should be back later this year.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Dang - no space opera. I miss Stargate. Current favorite is Doctor Who, followed distantly by Warehouse 13 and Eureka.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Too bad its Eurekas last season.
    I agree, but it was a good run while it lasted.

Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Is Warehouse 13 still going? My theory is that thing they found during the finale was off a ship from the bermuda triangle Thats the other gateway.
    Warehouse 13 is due to return in mid summer; usually in July, but warehouse 13 may be broadcast earlier either that or Haven. Syfy had to move up Eureka's broadcast schedule to fill in the blank left by Doctor Who which typically airs toward the end of March, but BBC-1 chose to preempt the show in favor of the summer Olympics. I was pretty much thinking the exact thing for Terra nova plot development.

Do any of you watch Haven? It's has turned out to be a pretty interesting series.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dragonkeeper
    I was pretty much thinking the exact thing for Terra nova plot development.
    Good at least I'm not the only one

Thanks for the info on warehouse 13. I might try to catch some reruns. It was ok.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've been watching haven,just been missing the last few episodes of season 2,very weird happenings which is good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been watching haven,just been missing the last few episodes of season 2,very weird happenings which is good.
    Season two ended on a high note, you should catch up.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    A few of these in your poll are not S-F at all: fantasy, horror, or something else. ("True Blood", for example.)

I'm kind of surprised that of the two shows co-produced by Spielberg's company, "Falling Skies" was the one that got renewed. It is pretty weak, familiar, standard issue stuff. Not that "Terra Nova" was especially better, but I would have thought it had a somewhat broader demographic. In any case, Spielberg has a great deal of clout, so his company's tv products generally get the benefit of a couple seasons. That would put them ahead of the general S-F curve: some of this may be due to higher production costs, but it seems no other genre gets cancelled quicker. There have been a number of worthy, early casualties in recent years, with "Journeyman" being possibly the best of them.

"Awake" is not S-F either. It has been rather well done, though I don't believe this premise is one that could sustain itself over more than a couple seasons.

"Lost" is really the one recent S-F oriented show I can think of that managed to run a marathon.
    (O.K. . . . the first two Stargate series would also make that short list.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Horror and fantasy are usually categorized with sci fi since they are out of our realm in normal day living so they belong in the poll.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Warehouse 13 is great. I love the acting, the filming, and the storyline about the artifacts Mystery indeed.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doctor Who first, Warehouse 13 back aways in 2nd, everything else well back.

I miss Firefly and Battlestar Galactica myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I miss Firefly
    Here, here, Joss Whedon knocked it out of the park with Firefly. The movie was so badass.
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 11th May 2012 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote