VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking for a new application to replace Christv that i m currently using to capture video from the s-video and component inputs from my tv tuner card.

I usually watch SD channels so it should be able to capture SD video in the best format available. I think mpeg2 would work best.

I would like on-air compression, that is as soon as i stop recording it should create the avi/mpg file and be ready for the next recording in the very next sec.

I don't mind if its a paid application. It should work well on vista and windows 7.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I cap native MPeg2 TS off the cable box IEEE-1394 port. This is zero loss.

Most any capture device will cap S-Video but in most cases this method is limited to 4:3 and 4:3 letterbox. I use a Canopus ADVC-100 (to DV) or a Hauppauge PVR-350 (to MPeg2).

Analog component capture has more limited choice at consumer prices especially if you want uncompressed.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly these will work. It depends on whether or not your TV card is supported. The TV card should have a hardware encoder for analog recording.

BeyondTV
    MediaPortal

MediaPortal is free, but is more challenging to set up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why don't you buy a dvb-t, dvb-s or dvb-c card instead ? No compression involved , epg recordings etc
    You then buy a good software like dvbviewer and you're good for the next 5 years imo.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Why don't you buy a dvb-t, dvb-s or dvb-c card instead ? No compression involved , epg recordings etc
    You then buy a good software like dvbviewer and you're good for the next 5 years imo.
    It is possible a digital tuner won't work in this case. As I recall from techspark's other thread, the analog TV card is being used for recording the output from a set-top box for a paid TV service.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you guys for all the inputs.

It is possible a digital tuner won't work in this case. As I recall from techspark's other thread, the analog TV card is being used for recording the output from a set-top box for a paid TV service.
    True..digital tuner wont work for me. I will be getting the avermedia HD dvr for $100 probably next month. Currently my set top box ouptuts only through the composite ports, i will be upgrading the stb as well and get the one with component ports.

I will take a look both BeyondTV and MediaPortal and let you guys know.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techspark View Post
    Thank you guys for all the inputs.

True..digital tuner wont work for me. I will be getting the avermedia HD dvr for $100 probably next month. Currently my set top box ouptuts only through the composite ports, i will be upgrading the stb as well and get the one with component ports.

I will take a look both BeyondTV and MediaPortal and let you guys know.
    If you are going to get the AVerMedia HD-DVR USB device, it works with Windows Media Center or AVerMedia's software for making scheduled recordings.

However, the only PVR-type program that I know of which works with the AVerMedia HD-DVR PCI-e and express card devices is the AVer MediaCenter software provided with them. They won't work with the third-party PVR software which allows users to make scheduled recordings, like BeyondTV or MediaPortal.

AVerMedia's HD-DVR PCI-e device does work with some third-party capture-only software using its analog component video inputs, but they won't allow you to schedule recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you are going to get the AVerMedia HD-DVR USB device, it works with Windows Media Center or AVerMedia's software for making scheduled recordings.

However, the only PVR-type program that I know of which works with the AVerMedia HD-DVR PCI-e and express card devices is the AVer MediaCenter software provided with them. They won't work with the third-party PVR software which allows users to make scheduled recordings, like BeyondTV or MediaPortal.
    Thanks for that info. Is the software provided with the card not good ?? I usually prefer to use third party software because they are more polished compared to the supplied software. Will i run into problems with the stock software ?

AVerMedia's HD-DVR PCI-e device does work with some third-party capture-only software using its analog component video inputs, but they won't allow you to schedule recordings.
    As long as it allows me to view and capture, i think it will be ok. I can live without schedule recording feature but would be nice to hv it.

Can you suggest some other capture device under $100 ??

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are going to get the AVerMedia HD-DVR USB device, it works with Windows Media Center or AVerMedia's software for making scheduled recordings.

Thanks for that info. Is the software provided with the card not good ?? I usually prefer to use third party software because they are more polished compared to the supplied software. Will i run into problems with the stock software ?

As long as it allows me to view and capture, i think it will be ok. I can live without schedule recording feature but would be nice to hv it.

Can you suggest some other capture device under $100 ??

Thanks!
    I have no personal experience with AVerMedia's supplied software. I bought the White Box version of the AVerMedia Duet ATSC/QAM dual digital tuner card, which doesn't work with AVerMedia's software.

I read the manual some time ago, and as I recall the software provided by AVerMedia isn't as fully featured as some third party software. You can download a manual for AVerMedia's HD-DVR PCI-e from the AVerMedia website serving your country to get an idea of what AVer MediaCenter and its scheduler are like.

I don't know of another component video capture device in the same price range as the AVerMedia HD-DVR PCI-e.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok no prob. Thanks for your reply and all the inputs. I will go through the manual and update you guys which card i go with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I don't know of another component video capture device in the same price range as the AVerMedia HD-DVR PCI-e.
    The main competitors, but more expensive, are the Hauppauge HD-PVR (USB) and Colossus (PCI-e). Also the Elgato eyetv HD (Mac OSX - USB). The Hauppauge cards have more third party software support (e.g. SageTV). All record HD analog component to h.264.
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_colossus.html
    http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/EyeTV-HD/product1.en.html
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    The main competitors, but more expensive, are the Hauppauge HD-PVR (USB) and Colossus (PCI-e). Also the Elgato eyetv HD (Mac OSX - USB). The Hauppauge cards have more third party software support (e.g. SageTV). All record HD analog component to h.264.
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc..._colossus.html
    http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/main...oduct1.en.html
    Too bad SageTV is no longer accepting new customers since they were purchased by Google last year. For some people, SageTV worked better than BeyondTV.

The competing product on the list that is closest in price to the AVerMedia HD-DVR is Hauppauge's Colossus, which costs about $50 more purchased from a discount retailer in the US. It can be made to work with Windows Media Center and Media Portal.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th May 2012 at 19:09.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks for the links edv.

Thanks for your input. I am now considering hauppauge hd dvr since it can be used with a mac too. I dont own a mac currently but i have plans of buying a macbook pro later this year, so i think it would be better i go with something that would work both on my desktop and macbook.

Many users on other forums have used hauppauge hd dvr on mac by purchasing the eyetv app.

Only thing against the hauppauge hd dvr is the price ofcourse but also lack of an hdmi port.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the links edv.

Thanks for your input. I am now considering hauppauge hd dvr since it can be used with a mac too. I dont own a mac currently but i have plans of buying a macbook pro later this year, so i think it would be better i go with something that would work both on my desktop and macbook.

Many users on other forums have used hauppauge hd dvr on mac by purchasing the eyetv app.

Only thing against the hauppauge hd dvr is the price ofcourse but also lack of an hdmi port.
    Component video capture is more likely to work. In most cases, HDMI capture only works when the source is not protected by HDCP, but most paid TV services do apply HDCP to the HDMI output from their set top boxes specifically to prevent recording by third-party devices. There are such things HDCP strippers, but they are not easy to find, and due to their illicit nature, they may be expensive.

"HDPVR Capture" and Elgato's "EyeTV" both work with the Hauppauge HD-PVR when using a Mac. You will also need to buy a remote, IR blaster and software to use with your Mac, since the included hardware only works for PCs http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=25
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th May 2012 at 17:03. Reason: Fixed link
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks for your reply.

Component video capture is more likely to work. In most cases, HDMI capture only works when the source is not protected by HDCP, but most paid TV services do apply HDCP to the HDMI output from their set top boxes specifically to prevent recording by third-party devices. There are such things HDCP strippers, but they are not easy to find, and due to their illicit nature, they may be expensive.
    I think there are some workarounds to get hdmi to work even with HDCP enabled. Anyways, i don't think hdmi would provide any significant improvement over component for SD channels. I think i will be more than good with component alone and if i m not wrong component can carry 1080i signals.

HDPVR Capture" and Elgato's "EyeTV" both work with the Hauppauge HD-PVR when using a Mac. You will also need to buy a remote, IR blaster and software to use with your Mac, since the included hardware only works for PCs http://support.elgato.com/index.php?...=25&nav=0,1,35
    I dont think i will need or use a remote at all. My set top box comes with its own remote that changes the channels and does all other things in the set top box and the same changes r shown on my screen - that is on my monitor thru the tv tuner card.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think there are some workarounds to get hdmi to work even with HDCP enabled. Anyways, i don't think hdmi would provide any significant improvement over component for SD channels. I think i will be more than good with component alone and if i m not wrong component can carry 1080i signals.
    The AVermedia's C027 is the only HDMI capture device I know of for which a workaround exists that does not involve using a HDMI to HDMI HDCP stripper, or HDMI to analog component converter of some kind. All other HDMI capture devices I have seen with the ability to capture using HDMI, including Hauppauge's Colossus, quit working if HDCP is detected.

[Edit]The remote is mainly used to control EyeTV without getting up from the couch, however the blaster can control the set-top box for making unattended timed recordings. I'm not certain if "HDPVR Capture" can be used with a remote and IR blaster or not.

[Edit]I should have said "analog component video to HDMI converter".
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th May 2012 at 18:19. Reason: correction
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The AVermedia's C027 is the only HDMI capture device I know of for which a workaround exists that does not involve using a HDMI to HDMI HDCP stripper, or HDMI to analog component converter of some kind. All other HDMI capture devices I have seen with the ability to capture using HDMI, including Hauppauge's Colossus, quit working if HDCP is detected.

strange that it will ignore hdcp. the brochure states it won't.

Note:
    AVerTV HD DVR is designed not to capture, convert or transmit video or audio from any Copyright
    Protected sources or devices (HDCP devices & Macro Vision protected content).
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post

strange that it will ignore hdcp. the brochure states it won't.

Note:
    AVerTV HD DVR is designed not to capture, convert or transmit video or audio from any Copyright
    Protected sources or devices (HDCP devices & Macro Vision protected content).
    There is a driver exploit that allows HDCP to be ignored, and Cauptain posted a link for software that supposedly serves the same purpose.
    Quote Quote