VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear Forum
    I wish to enquire if the following is possible and if so how.
    I have a DVD with two movies on: furthermore one has option to turn subtitles on or off. Also subtitles are available in about five languages including English.
    In this regard, I would like to convert the movie(s) to a file such as a .mov file, a wmv file, or a divx or some other format file that can be played from the hard drive. Also I would like the subtitles in English to be showing.
    Please do anyone know if this can be done and if so how please.
    Yours with thanks
    Ian
    ian c
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our dvd ripping and conversion section.

Yes, it's possible. Most dvd converters can include(burned in or switchables) subtitles like handbrake(mp4,mkv files), autogk(avi file), fairuse wizard(avi file), dvdfab(avi,wmv,mp4,mkv), etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV should repackage a DVD source into an MKV container without any recompressing/converting, and include the (switchable) subtitles. You'll probably need to rip the DVD first, though, with DVDFab, AnyDVD, etc.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Given that "some other format file that can be played from the hard drive" INCLUDES the exact file format of DVDs, is there some reason you want to convert to another format and, thus, sacrifice quality? Lots of users simply rip their DVDs to a hard drive, as is, and play them from there with selectable subtitles, extras, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like dvdfab hd decrypter (the free part of dvdfab) or dvd shrink, set to dvd9 for no compression, then handbrake to mkv.

Mkv is really the most convenient format with subs. They can be embedded within the file. No separate sub files are needed.

But cobrapilot is right too ... if you aren't worried about the disc space just rip the dvds to a video_ts folder and play them with software.
    Quote Quote