VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As title says, I am supposed to create NTSC and PAL format of DVD.
    The video assets I have is 1 wmv file(30.00 fps), 1 mp4 file (59.94fps), 1 mp4 file (24.99 fps) 1mp4 file(24.98 fps)
    1 wmv file (29.97 fps), 1 wmv file(25 fps).

I have two questions at this point.
    If I need to create NTSC version, do I have to adjust all the fps and specification to 30fps (ntsc standard) and export them?
    I use 59.94 fps since it is the main clip movie's fps. I did not change the others' fps. I leave them as they are. Am I on the right track?

If I cannot use Adobe Encore, which is my initial plan at this point, what can be an alternative dvd maker program Could you recommend one I am thinking DVD maker on my window. Am I wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    NTSC is 29.97 fps or 23.97 fps with 3:2 pulldown.

My advice would be to use either the 1 wmv file (29.97 fps) or the 1 mp4 file (59.94 fps) as they are the "simplest" to use without risking poor output due to frame drops and/or audio synch issues. You should also find that these will be quickest to process due to not having to perform complex operations on.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your response. Let me make sure I understand your advice correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    I have to change the fps of the files that does not fit to 59.94fps or 29.97fps before I export them as mpeg2 DVD format.
    Do I understand your advice correctly?
    Also, is there any alternative DVD authoring tool other than Adobe Encore?
    Quote Quote  
  4. As mentioned above, you're going to have a lot of problems because of the different specs

It's very complex issue doing these type of conversions. You can just drop them on the timeline but usual programs will resample to the timeline specs by either dropping frames, duplicating frames and/or blending frames - so will get either a mix stuttering, blending frames (blurry) or dropped frames (choppy).

There are more advanced methods of motion interpolation/optical flow to retime clips, but they can have side effects as well like morphing edge artifacts. The bottom line is there is no good way of doing PAL/NTSC framerate conversions. 24p<=>25p conversions can be done by just slowing or speeding up the clip , there is slight change in audio , but the difference might be acceptable. But the problem is your main clip is 59.94. Big problem.

Also, is there any alternative DVD authoring tool other than Adobe Encore?
    There are many DVD authoring programs, but none of them will magically solve your problems. This is an advanced topic with no easy solution

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-dvd
    Quote Quote  
  5. Of course, the obvious answer to the 59.94fps problem is to interlace it. This assumes every frame is different and unique. If every other frame is a dupe, you just remove them. Anyway, by interlacing 59.94fps you wind up with 29.97fps. Either that or just drop every other frame and lose some of the motion fluidity. Unfortunately, I don't think any program such as the this DVD Maker you mentioned can do that, and I doubt you're willing to learn AviSynth for the job. Have you considered that you might have bitten off more than you can chew?
    Quote Quote  
  6. That's exactly what encore would do , or if you edit in premiere and then send to encore - it will make a 59.94 fields per second/ 29.97 frames per second interlaced DVD automatically. So if he took just that 1 main video as jimmalenko suggested for the NTSC DVD, there is no problem (at least for the NTSC version).

The problem is integrating the other clips together smoothly. Premiere/Encore will either add/drop dupes or blended frames. Not ideal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    my bad

I read the original post as though they were all different versions and formats of the same clip, and that you were asking which versions/formats were best to use, and not that you needed to combine ALL of them.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much your help and advice.
    I really appreciate that. It is a lot of trial and error, and
    I need to present my result to my boss tomorrow. All the video clips are not mine, and my boss gave them to me.
    But, I kind of like him. Thus, I wanna do my best.
    Quote Quote