VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new to ripping and Gordian Knot. I recently bought a DVD of a bad movie that had a little audio sync and interlacing problem, and since I wanted a copy on my hard drive anyway, I grabbed Gordian Knot 0.35.0. While working on the DVD I got the sound synched up and improved but did not fully correct the interlacing. I also noticed that the movie on the DVD was in a moderate widescreen though when played on a standard DVD player it looked pan and scan and grainier -- I've never seen that before, don't know what that's about.

The problem is that Gordian Knot only did the first 23:35 of the DVD. I think that's just one VOB "section" -- no idea about the terminology, but the DVD separates out into five VOB files, and one is about 23 minutes long. It might be coincidence, I have no clue.

No error messages come up, GK just says it's completed after about 2 hours, but it's always that 23:35 segment. After struggling with this for ages I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Start with VOB2MPEG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Been a long time sunce I used gk. But I believe you have to load the .ifo file to encode the entire dvd.

It is also quite a complicated program especially if you are starting out. It's little brother autogk may be more suited to you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by glitterninja View Post
    The problem is that Gordian Knot only did the first 23:35 of the DVD.
    No, I think you only did the first 23:35 of the movie (most likely a single VOB, as you're suggesting). GKnot doesn't decrypt - you do that. Nor does GKnot prepare the D2V Project file using DGIndex - you do that also. My guess is that you only opened a single VOB rather then the entire Vobset. If you have the log still, it should clarify what happened.

GKnot isn't for every kind of DVD because some are just plain too messed up. You say you're having trouble with the interlacing and a look at an untouched piece of it will help us to determine the problem. If you agree, upload a 10 second piece of the video. Open a VOB in DGIndex, scroll to a place with steady movement, use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a small section, and then File->Save Project and Demux Video. If the resulting M2V is OK, upload it to such places as MediaFire, Sendspace, or here, so we can have a look.

I also agree with DB83 that you might be better off beginning with AutoGK before then moving on to GKnot after getting a few movies under your belt. It'll handle the DGIndex step automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just because I said GK only did 23 minutes of the movie does not in ANY way mean I thought the program was entirely responsible for the problem. It's just the way I worded my question.

Yes, you're right that GK is not the same as DVD Decrypter or DGIndex. I have both of those programs listed in the Program Paths tab in GK, along with the other programs that came with the GK download like BeSweet, etc.

I did use AutoGK at first but got a really horrible rip from that. It didn't crop all the black borders and didn't deinterlace at all, plus the sound was even more out of sync in a couple of spots than it already is on the DVD. The 23 minutes of the movie I got with GK was far superior, and while I know it's not as easy to use, I'd like to use it if possible.

The logs do show only one file. If I'm understanding GK correctly, after DGIndex is finished you load in the .d2v file it creates and at that point do the cropping and deinterlacing, then use BeSweet to encode the audio, then use GK to encode. The .d2v file I previewed had the whole film, I was able to scroll to the end while checking the cropping within GK. I must be misunderstanding something about the step(s) after DGIndex is finished. I'll go through the process again and see if I can narrow down what it is I'm doing wrong, or at least get more of an idea about it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by glitterninja View Post
    The .d2v file I previewed had the whole film, I was able to scroll to the end while checking the cropping within GK.
    That's helpful, to know you opened the D2V that you created using DGIndex and were able to scroll through the whole movie. So it's not the D2V that's at fault. Then perhaps the movie got cut in the script somehow, maybe through the use of an accidental Trim line in the script. If you're not good yet at deciphering AviSynth scripts, you can post it here for us to have a look.

As for the problem with using AutoGK, if you set a final file size and especially if at the same time you set a width in the advanced settings, sometimes AutoGK can't 'make' a nice looking movie with those constraints, where if using the same final size and width for a much shorter section of the same movie, GKnot will make a very nice looking AVI. But that doesn't explain the problems with the deinterlacing. Also, when crops are different in different places in the video, AutoGK can screw up. In the Hidden Options are several ways to correct the crop values, when after playing the Preview (or after getting back the final movie) you discover it hasn't been cropped correctly. Again, as with GKnot, a log can be helpful, if you have one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I rather stupidly deleted the logs when I deleted my previous attempts. I tried again a couple of days ago, this time using Inverse Telecine as the option for deinterlacing and that improved it, but it still was only 23 minutes long. I'm going to try again overnight and if it still happens, I'll save the logs and post them here. Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have absolutely no idea how this happened, but the length issue seems resolved. When I ran GK again I went through the VOBs and took out the "scene selection" one, and now the whole movie ripped.

But I have another problem: Choppiness in playback. The film itself has some choppy quality to it, and I think ripping it has exacerbated that. It wasn't this choppy in previous rips, and again even though I took notes, I must have done something differently. Should I start a new thread about this or continue in this one?
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's still about GKnot, so you may as well keep it here.

To answer any questions about your film, a sample will be helpful. Open a VOB in DGIndex and scroll to a place with steady movement. Use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a small 10 second piece. Then File->Save Project and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V here or Sendspace or Mediafire and give the link.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for being patient. I have two files to show, the first is the VOB snippet I grabbed through DGIndex:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2f431f9v8gevrqo

You'll notice it's a little choppy but not that bad.

The second file is a snippet from the avi file after GK et al. has processed it, and now it's a lot choppier. (The clip is about 2 minutes long, sorry. But at least it's the same part of the film.)

http://www.mediafire.com/?76rh7zdpytczoqn

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To me, it looks as if the source m2v is bad. There appears to be frames missing. The action occasionally
    jumps an amount that looks as if there should have been an intermediate frame.
    Is this a commercial DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  12. It is a commercial DVD, released in 2003 with a company that seems legit. The movie itself is a 1994 indie Z-grade rip-off of a popular TV show, and the quality of the film is pretty bad. If you've ever watched an old film that's in public domain and was released on a cheap DVD, I'd say the quality is about on par with that.

With Gordian Knot I was able to mitigate some of that and make it more watchable, but the choppiness got worse. I'm somewhat optimistic because the first rips which only got about 1/5th of the film were relatively smooth, so in theory I should be able to make the whole film play more smoothly, but I have no idea how.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My quick thoughts on this.

The original m2v has a constant bit rate. I wonder if this can cause jerkiness at authoring stage. A result of a poor transfer to dvd ?

The original is 29.97 fps. Have you reverse-telecined this as your avi is now 23.97 fps. Do another but at 29.97 (remove whatever adjustment you did to encode at 23.97) and compare.

I do not think that the issue is an interlacing one. That jerkiness is in the 'master'. It IMHO can not be removed.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yeah, it's really weird. Every sixth field was removed and replaced with a duplicate of the 5th field. I have no idea why. I suppose some field interpolation could be used to recreate the original field. It's not something you can fix with the filters included with GKnot. It looks to me like it was shot on video and not film.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I just wanted to come back and thank you, even with the weird missing frames I was able to get a nice backup of this DVD through Gordian Knot with your help. Thanks!
    Quote Quote