VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i am burning .wmv to dvd but when you do all the stuff to make it playable on dvd player the file comes out masive.
    i am using windows dvd maker and have wasted lots of dvd-r's. the file is about 30 mins and 127mb. (would like to fit more) people get films on to dvd dont they. just wanted to know if you can get the files to fit. burners or difrent format?
    i also tried dvd flick.
    how do people get films to burn to dvd?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To burn use imgburn.

For making dvds I would suggest avstodvd. I can't comment on dvd flick as I don't think I've ever tried it.

For avstodvd you can set just about anything you want. You can set the bitrate to anything you want. You can set it super low or super high. Just remember it won't look any better than your source.

And of course since you'll be making a standard definition dvd it won't look the same if this is a high def wmv file.

So to summarize you will author the dvd folder (the video_ts folder) with avstodvd and burn the video_ts folder with imgburn.

That should do it.

Edit - just an fyi you should know bitrate determines the file size. Generally speaking the higher the bitrate the larger the file size will be and the quality will be retained better (generally speaking since conversions of this nature result in some quality loss due to conversion but shouldn't be noticeable to most unless you are using a really low bitrate).

Also you can use a preset in avstodvd to make it fill a whole dvd. There are guides around here on how to do it. Also check out avstodvds website for more detail as well.
    Last edited by yoda313; 5th May 2012 at 22:18.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok so if i get avstodvd it will fit the file (the one it makes from the vids able to play on a dvd player that become masive) however big even if it is over the 4.7gb? and make it fit the dvd and play on a dvd player

ps can you cange bit rate to the .wmv vids?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If your dvd player supports avi divx/xvid then convert to it instead of dvd-video. You can then use similar file size as your wmv files. With for example winff, xmedia recode, freemake video converter, format factory, divx converter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks for helping but can some one tell me if i make a video_ts folder that is bigger than 4.7gb will i burn to my dvd-r and fit and be able to play in a dvd player.
    I didnt think it would be so hard to make a dvd!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by duckduck77 View Post
    thanks for helping but can some one tell me if i make a video_ts folder that is bigger than 4.7gb will i burn to my dvd-r and fit and be able to play in a dvd player.
    If the folder is too big to fit on a single-layer DVD and you do not want to try the other suggestions offered to you, then use DVD+R DL media (dual layer), which holds up to 7.9 GB. Use ImgBurn for burning so the layer break can be positioned in the right spot.

The problem is, that some older burners won't burn DVD+R DL media and DVD+R DL media is harder to find. Verbatim DVD+R DL media is the only DL media that most VideoHelp members would recommend.
    Quote Quote  
  7. its not so much not want to try but not knowing what the hell im doing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by duckduck77
    can some one tell me if i make a video_ts folder that is bigger than 4.7gb will i burn to my dvd-r and fit and be able to play in a dvd player.
    Use a bitrate calculator:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/bitrate-calculators

Also avstodvd has an autofit feature. You will have no problem fitting a half hour video on a single layer dvd with decent quality.

However it gets a bit trickier when you say you would like to fit more. Personally I wouldn't try to fit more than two hours on a single layer dvd. You can but the quality would start to suffer using a lower bitrate.

If this is your first time this your learning curve. It's not for everybody. But you have to do some learning in anything you try.

Just follow the recommendations given and you should be all set.

One last thing if you miss your target of a single layer dvd you can run it through dvdshrink and transcode it to fit a single layer dvd (this will output a new folder that you would then burn). However this is not ideal as there can be some quality loss depending on how much compression you need to do (ie how much over the 4.3gb you are).

But as mentioned by baldrick if your dvd player can play divx/xvid files you can convert to one of those formats and burn as a data file with imgburn. It will be much smaller. But again bitrate still applies so the larger the bitrate the larger the file size will be.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. where is the autofit feature on avstodvd

thank you for your help
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    where is the autofit feature on avstodvd

thank you for your help
    Click on the arrow beside "DVD Size" on the toolbar, then select "DVD-5 (4.7 GB)".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for your help
    You're welcome.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Click on the arrow beside "DVD Size" on the toolbar, then select "DVD-5 (4.7 GB)
    Thanks usually_quiet for filling in while I was unplugged from the net
    Quote Quote  
  12. the sound and picture dont fit?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the sound and picture dont fit?
    They should fit if you allow AVStoDVD to re-encode your .wmv file(s) and aren't trying to put more than a few short videos on one DVD for a running time of about 2 - 3 hours or less, total. AVStoDVD using autofit with default settings is as close to fool-proof as any DVD converter can be.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps if the original poster would provide the AVStoDVD log it would help with the problem solving.
    Quote Quote  
  15. how do i get the log?
    what makes the delay happen?
    should i have longer vid insted of many short ones?
    thanks for all the help
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how do i get the log?
    what makes the delay happen?
    should i have longer vid insted of many short ones?
    thanks for all the help
    Right-click on the section on the main screen labled "Operations", then click "Save Log..."
    Quote Quote  
  17. A screenshot of AVStoDVD main window with the wmv loaded may be useful as well.

I suspect the wmv duration is so big that default AVStoDVD minimum avg bitrate (2500 kbps) is not enough...

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  18. when i put the files in i got a mesage saying "mediainfo abnormal audio track delay 564.125" i pressed ok and it looked ok in the prevew. it burn ok i think
    why does the file have this delay on it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Where did you get that wmv? Do you have the possibility to upload it somewhere, so that we can test it?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  20. Use DVDShrink, it's old but it's still useful for fitting on a SL DVD. As for the audio delay it's probably a glitch in MediaInfo or the header is wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  21. '21:28:39' AVStoDVD Release 2.4.2 loaded!
    '21:28:39' AviSynth 2.5.8 is installed.
    '21:28:39' ImgBurn is installed ("C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe").
    '21:28:39' MKVExtract is installed ("C:\Program Files (x86)\MKVtoolnix\mkvextract.exe").
    '21:28:39' New AVStoDVD Project started!
    '21:28:57' MediaInfoLib - v0.7.50 initialized.
    '21:28:57' Title 1 "C:\Users\me\Videos\RealPlayer Downloads\Part 1.flv" added.
    Quote Quote