VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ok, i'm new at all of this, and i've spent the last 3 hours working between two video files.
    here is what i've done so far : there is a movie which i am trying to patch the audio for. I have a japanese 720p video file and an english 480p one. using tools found in other posts i have converted them both to mkv, and even muxed(?) the audio from the 480p into the 720p
    my problem is this : turns out the frame rates are different so it isn't synced at all. i need to lower the audio one from 29.970628 to 23.974491. any advice?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by eponarider1 View Post
    i need to lower the audio one from 29.970628 to 23.974491.
    No you don't. Do you really think you have to lengthen the audio by a full 20%, thus making the audio play that much more slowly? Check the relative lengths of the two versions. For a movie, the interlaced or progressive 29.97fps output is the same length as is the progressive 23.976fps source. Movies aren't 29.97fps.

If you're lucky, you only have to set a delay (change where the audio starts). If you're unlucky the 2 versions of the same movie have some scenes different from each other and your synching job becomes exponentially harder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. well... the 29. one is 2:18, and the 23. is 2:43... so maybe it does play slower? i might just keep searching for an english version. the audio delay was the first thing i played with, i made sure to sync a book hitting the floor at 37:50, and all the convos were in sync after that. then at about 50 minutes the words were appearing before the mouths moved, and by 1:40 it was completely off... that's why i compared the frame rates of the two in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  4. in fact i found another thread of you explaining the different between a pal and ntsc dvd, which i think might be the case here, since one is from japan and the other america, and you were saying that even a 24fps to a 25fps would cause an hour longer movie to be about 4 minutes shorter. so if it's a 2 hour movie going from 23 to 29 that would explain the 20 minutes easily. so yes, i "really do" think that i need to change the frame rate on the video that i'm using the audio from. and idk what to tell you about "Movies aren't 29.97fps" three different programs confirmed this frame rate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Japan is NTSC.

Movies, as shown in a movie theater, are 24fps. If you have a movie at 29.97fps the difference between 23.976fps and 29.97fps is made up of duplicated frames and/or fields. An NTSC DVD, for example, outputs interlaced 29.97fps with the usual 3:2 pulldown making up the difference by duplicating fields. Unless some fool that doesn't know what he's doing just speeds it up to 29.97fps.

There is a slight chance that there was a PAL to NTSC conversion done somewhere along the line, but the odds are against it. And the relative lengths don't support that theory.

well... the 29. one is 2:18, and the 23. is 2:43... so maybe it does play slower?
    And that's what you get for downloading garbage from the internet. Any idiot with an internet connection can upload crap for all the world to get. What happens if you set the framerate of the 29.97fps one to 23.976fps and then add in the audio? Does everything synch up? You can look up the real length of this thing at such places as IMDB or review sites. I'd almost be willing to bet it's closer to 2hrs 43min than it is to 2hrs 18min.
    Last edited by manono; 5th May 2012 at 20:19.
    Quote Quote  
  6. imdb says the movie is 2:43, so someone must have done what you described.
    What happens if you set the framerate of the 29.97fps one to 23.976fps and then add in the audio? Does everything synch up?
    i never got to set the fast one back to 23 fps because although a ton of info was posted, none of it actually related to my original question, which was how to change the frame rate. and yes, i do believe that would have fixed my problem. i found a torrent for a dual audio version and ended up downloading that instead.

edit : and i love how in your first response you refute my claim of needing to lower the frame rate on the sped up file, and by the end of this useless thread you practically quote my original question, and then tell me to do exactly what i was asking in the first place... useless. helpful advice for future reference, don't respond to questions unless you're posting the answer.
    Last edited by eponarider1; 5th May 2012 at 22:20.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by eponarider1 View Post
    edit : and i love how in your first response you refute my claim of needing to lower the frame rate on the sped up file, and by the end of this useless thread you practically quote my original question, and then tell me to do exactly what i was asking in the first place... useless. helpful advice for future reference, don't respond to questions unless you're posting the answer.
    Oh, so now I'm getting scolded because you downloaded a movie made by a clueless incompetent? It's way more common for people to keep the duplicate frames and encode for 29.97fps - making the mistake that way - rather than take a perfectly good 23.976fps movie and speed up both the video and the audio to 29.97fps. In fact, I dare say that's the first I've ever heard of that particular bit of lunacy. It's much more common for people to think that a 29.97fps video has to be slowed to 23.976fps, when 99% of the time they're the same length. You found an example from the remaining 1%.

After all, you did begin your thread by saying you were new at this. And one might be excused for thinking that you had already figured out what the length of the real movie was when you began having framerate and synching problems, and thus figure out what the real problem was. Based on the framerates given - and no other relevant information, like the lengths - the usual advice is to adjust the delay rather than the length of the audio.

In addition, you were never quite clear on what had to be done - the format of the videos, and the format of the audios. Different tool are used depending on the kinds of audio and video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. i didn't ask for an analysis lol. i said i needed to change the framerate, which i have never done before and am new at, and asked how to go about changing it. i'm not a multimedia noob, i am a "pulling audio from a video with one frame rate and moving it into a video with a lower one" noob.

In addition, you were never quite clear on what had to be done - the format of the videos, and the format of the audios. Different tool are used depending on the kinds of audio and video.
    read the original post again lol. i stated exactly what i had done to that point : that i had converted both to mkv, and i had even done a trial run of muxing the two together, but had ran into sync issues due to different frame rates. i then asked how to change that frame rate. epic fail sir.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eponarider1
    epic fail sir.
    I think someone who is asking for help should do so without the attitude.

We are here to help not take abuse.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I don't mean to come across as having a negative attitude, but when a new member is posting questions they're probably looking for answers to that question : i stated exactly what i needed help doing, and instead of providing help, i was given
    No you don't. Do you really think you have to lengthen the audio by a full 20%, thus making the audio play that much more slowly?
    . again, i didn't figure i needed to give every detail about the videos i was working with, who cares about those details when i'm asking where to find something to change a framerate. a lot of this thread was filler content about how "movies aren't in 29fps" when this one was just so. i posted my goal, and where i was at in achieving that goal. i wasn't asking to have my current work graded, i was asking for how to finish it. the part i have quoted is negative and not helpful at all, and considering how i started the thread it's unnecessary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't mean to come across as having a negative attitude
    Thank you for that.

a lot of this thread was filler content
    Some people talk around issues and get to the details in different ways. Some of it is directly related to the issue and others are extraneous. I would think more information is better than less. Lots of people have different ways of dispensing information.

not helpful at all, and considering how i started the thread it's unnecessary.
    Ok just remember this is not a pay site and we offer advice and assistance on our free time.

Just be patient and grateful for any assistance you do get. Getting into arguments over trivial matters is not helpful to anyone.

Thank you for understanding.

Please return to the regular thread.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  12. There are many ways to change the frame rate of a video, some without reencoding. AviFrate works for AVI files -- it just changes the frame rate value in the header. You can also specify a frame rate in the header of an MKV file (not all players will respond to that though) with MMG.

I doubt a simple frame rate change will will fix your problem though. It's more likely the shorter movie had a lot of scenes cut out to reduce running time. Play the two sources side by side and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eponarider1 View Post
    so if it's a 2 hour movie going from 23 to 29 that would explain the 20 minutes easily. so yes, i "really do" think that i need to change the frame rate on the video that i'm using the audio from. and idk what to tell you about "Movies aren't 29.97fps" three different programs confirmed this frame rate.
    In most cases this would be wrong, 29.970 movies are actually more like 24 fps with a 3:2 pull down applied (frames are duplicated). If you have two versions of a movie one at 23.976 and the other at 29.970, the movies would have the same length.

Japan and USA both use NTSC format, add to this (identical movies one at 23.976 and the other at 29.970 will have the same length) . A difference in length of 20 minutes most likely means you have two different versions of the film, what is consider acceptable for a targeted viewing audience varies greatly between countries. (i.e. scenes removed.)

And if you truly desire help, posting as much detail about the video(s) you are working with will be the most expedient option. And in hind site, Manono actually gave you the answer you needed. What you do with that information is up to you.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  14. unfortunately the dual audio version i downloaded doesn't do anything at all. so i had to go back to the original two files. again, i understand that 29.970 does not seem to be the standard frame rate, and as i've stated above, it seems to be sped up. i'm using vlc media player to play the files, which i also believe to be one of the best pieces of video playback software. using a new piece of software i found (avidemux 2.5) i was able to re-encode the video to 23.974491, and after muxing with the 720p video VOILA! it's synced, every scene. and once again, i understand manono gave this answer, but i also stated it in my original post. And of all of you that replied NO ONE actually suggested a piece of software that would have worked with the files that i also stated in the original post were mkv. i originally watched the jap version, and later found the dubbed at a lower quality (480p). no scenes are removed, it's the same movie, and both language versions should run at 2:43. again i stated this in my posts. please for future members, if they're asking for a piece of software to do one thing, just give them a name if you know it. i have had two files seemingly analyzed by several members now, and have been educated on standard frame rates for ntsc and such... but again, it was running at 29 and seemed to be going too fast. i know what it all would have "likely" meant. if it had been that i had two different versions or something simple (again remember i stated that i had worked on this for 3 hours at the point to resorting to this forum) i wouldn't have even bothered posting.
    Again : please for future members, if they're asking for a piece of software to do one thing, just give them a name if you know it. That would've fixed my problem immediately, and would've been incredibly helpful. thank you anyways to all of you who tried, i understand i didn't have the most simple problem, and that it actually ended up being quite complicated, and i appreciate the patience, i just think the problem was over-analyzed.
    Quote Quote