VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I play video files from USB storage on an Xbox 360 most often. It will play AVIs that I've downloaded, but anything I convert myself it will refuse to play unless it's from Virtualdub. I've tried otherwise reliable programs like MediaCoder and AVIDemux, and the AVI/Xvid files they output will play on pretty much anything else (DivX compatible TV, DVD player etc). But to make them work with the Xbox, I have to reencode using Virtualdub. I can't see any difference between the files and I can't see what settings in the other programs are making them incompatible. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. might be something like packed bitstream

you can use gspot and then check the differences between the files that work, and those that don't work
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Probably VirtualDub muxes AVI files in a "more-compliant" way than Avidemux, for example.

Equally possible, Xbox360, being a Micro$oft product, is very-picky about the formats it supports.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It might be a profile issue. I'm not sure if the "high profile" function that h264 has applies to all digital video or not. But typically speaking I think it needs to be 4.1 or lower for consoles to read it.

And I have not tested it myself but I have read other posts that apparently if its over 4gbs the 360 can only read wmvs natively when its over 4gbs. I don't know that for a fact.

It can play h264 and divx/xvid of course. As mentioned use gspot and check the files that do play correctly against the files that aren't playing. Check for the codecs and all the other factors. And check file size to be sure.

Just remember that the 360 and ps3 only do fat32 external drives. The xbox 360 can in fact use the mac hfs + format that is similar to ntfs (in so much that it doesn't have a 4gb file limit). However I can't confirm or deny that it only reads wmvs that are over 4gbs. If that is the case it would be a limiting benefit to use that in an external drive.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for the replies. After comparing Gspot results, I think it's a FourCC issue. Much of the output of other programs has odd FourCC data for the codec, such as 'FMP4' from Mediacoder. Mediacoder has an option to force a FourCC, and using 'DIVX' seemed to make the files play. What a silly restriction for the Xbox to have!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flugflug
    What a silly restriction for the Xbox to have!
    I think its either jman98 or jagabo would say that the xbox is a gaming console first and media player second (fyi those are two long standing members here at videohelp with a high pedigree).

It is not designed with the intent to be a media player. That is an afterthought. However it is charging forward with loads of streaming apps in the last few months so it is pushing its way in to the conversation. But it is first and foremost a game console.

I don't think we'd ever see the ps3 or xbox 360 given the ability to play mkv files.

But I'm glad you found a solution.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote