VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I can´t make proper screenshots from any bluray menu.
    Doesn´t matter what player I try, I always get just the image of the video playing in the back of the menu, and not the interface or buttons.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use to be an older version (~2 years ago?) of WinDVD and PowerDVD that allowed this, but all recent versions of ALL the BD-capable Media player apps have had this feature REVOKED by the powers that be.

Best bet is to Decrypt and Rip/Export the assets...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure it does not have something to do with BD having Java based menu's ?

How long has WinDVD & PowerDVD supported Bluray ?

Because i have quite a few older versions, way back some time before Bluray, and it seem's like they have not supported bluray for that long of a time.

But i never tried to get a screencap of menu's from bluray as those 2 apps always seemed to suck for bluray playback so i just went to TMT.

I have done TONS of screencaps of menu's from standard dvd's and they always included the interface buttons/text/etc., but then those are WAY different than Bluray popup Java based interface buttons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, I think you might be combining separate BD elements in your mind there.

BD can contain one or both of 2 kinds of structures: HDMV objects and BD-J (java) objects. Within either of these there can either be regular style menus/overlays, known as Presentation Graphics. There are also Interactive Graphics (the "popup" kind), but these are available only within HDMV objects, not BD-J. In fact, BD-J is currently used in only a small minority of discs.

The graphics have little to do with the presence or absence of java. They are muxed in with the video in the M2TS files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried to capture a screenshot of a BD menu with TMT and it works. On a homemade BD anyway.
    Last edited by p_l; 5th May 2012 at 02:50.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well I am no Bluray expert as far as authoring or menu structure but the pop up menu/s are definitely separate from the video as they pop up, change, move, while the background video is playing or even during the main movie.

I just assumed most bluray's used BD-J (java) for the menu/s - popup's.

I tried TMT5 on a few pressed bluray's and it would only capture the background video, none of the menu elements/buttons/popups.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I found two ways to take screenshots from a blu-ray menu:

1. If the disc is HDMV and has an IGS menu, you can use BDedit to open the menu elements. More info here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152952

Once you open the menu in BDedit, you can use the screen capture program of your choice. The only problem I found was getting a full 1080x1920 image.

2. Buy a Hauppauge HD PVR or something similar. Using a blu-ray player manufactured before January 2011, run a component (not composite) feed into the PVR (after January 2011, blu-ray players were required to downgrade to SD for analog output).

The PVR captures at 1080i resolution. The video files can be opened in VLC player (change the settings to deinterlace the video). The snapshots taken in VLC player look pretty good and are 1080x1920.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I believe there is a possible solution, and it is working as far as i know. You could try out the DVDFab Media Player by Fengtao. It is a great media Player/Streamer and looks and works like VLC, except it can play and supports BD menus as well.
    Only problem, the buttons don't render properly. Something with the transparency and bitmaps i suppose. You could try capturing with different buttons selected and may combine the images in a image editor to make a full undistorted image.

For example, here is an image from the top menu of Avengers bluray.

hopefully this will help!

Cheers
    Prat
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDfab makes bad screen captures! Maybe an external screen capturing app might do this?
    Quote Quote