VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have just upgraded my DishNetwork subscription to the Hopper. Very nice.

The previous DVR was the 722, and I was capturing and making SD DVDs with Svideo into a Pinnacle Moviebox USB, into WinXP, and then using Nero Vision on Win7. This has been working quite well.

Now with such a nice DVR, I'd like to upgrade my tool chain to HDMI capture and blu-ray media to play on my PS3.

The Blackmagic Shuttle looks nice and is affordable, but all reviews talk about difficulty in setting it up and at least one mentions that it will not record PS3 game play from HDMI.
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Hauppauge HD PVR does not have HDMI input, so it is off my list. Component video is just too many wires.
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

• Does anyone have experience with Blackmagic?
    • Does it work with HDMI?
    • Is there a better HDMI 1080i/p capture device to USB, USB3 or Firewire?
    • Can Dishnetwork HDMI output be recorded? From Hopper?
    • "Premium" movie channels, like SHO, TMC, etc are not on the menu.
    • "Timeshifting" EPIX, Syfy, Research channel, UCTV, PBSHD, etc. for personal use only is the goal.
    • My Win7 production system has USB3, or can easily have using an expansion card.
    Also I see this StarTech card:
    http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/PCI-Express-HD-Video-Capture-Card-1080p%E2...onent~PEXHDCAP
    Anybody have experience with this?

Looks like BD has finally come down enough in price so that a burner for ~$100 and media at $1-$2 each are available.

Thanks,
    ww
    Last edited by windyweather; 4th May 2012 at 16:28. Reason: Add StarTech card
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hauppauge's Colossus card does have HDMI input. However, they are very explicit in pointing out that most cable and satellite boxes encrypt HDMI output and they do NOT record encrypted HDMI. I'm not aware of any device that can record encrypted HDMI. I have no idea whether PS3 video output from games is encrypted or not, but given that the PS3 is made by consumer unfriendly Sony, my guess is that it is encrypted.

Component video is really excellent quality. If it's "too many wires" for you then you are SOL my friend.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by windyweather View Post
    Hauppauge HD PVR does not have HDMI input, so it is off my list. Component video is just too many wires.
    A good component hookup will beat typical HDMI PQ any day, 24/7/365. Go for Hauppauge's PVR. It ignores most copy protection. However, there's no workaround for all the crummy image and audio junk on most cable channels.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 12:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There you go again, sanlyn, spouting stuff that is patently false.

Just as "the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line", it is a cardinal axiom that the straightest, least-changing path between devices retains the highest quality.

So, with most signals now originating digitally, the least-changing path is a single conversion to analog AT THE DESTINATION (the "sink"), or ON THE TV SCREEN and AT THE AUDIO AMP/SPEAKERS.

Using component analog clearly detours that path. And with devices with HDCP, it is mandated that an analog output be of lower resolution!

Plus, component video's days of benefitting displays are numbered when more and more visual devices use mapped/digital pixels (LCD/LED) as opposed to scanned/swept pixels (CRT/Plasma).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    HDMI sucks at my house, and pros wouldn't be caught using 30-gauge twisted-pair wire for a/v. Strictly for the average consumer. But suit yourself, whatever makes you feel better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. so I get it. There's a war out there on the subject of YPbPr vs HDMI.
    So the remaining question is has anybody used the BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle?

Since this has both component and HDMI inputs, we can turn the flame off on the YPbPr vs HDMI wars.
    The reviews I've seen on this device talk about it being very hard to set up.
    Any experience out there? Does it work?
    Can you take the recorded video and make a BD disk?
    What tool chain did you use? I'd prefer an affordable Video editor and not a $700 or more Adobe Premier solution. I'm currently using Nero Vision for SD DVD, and it works very well for my needs.

Thanks,
    ww
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    News: HDMi outputs YPbPr in digital form.

The reiews I see for the product you want look mighty troublesome. Whether it ignores encrypted HDMI is another question: I don't know if it does or not. Most who have the Hauppauge PVR are pleased with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ahem, most PROs use: HDSDI, SDI, HDMI/DVI/DP, Firewire, RGBA, Component,VGA, S-Video & Composite. In that order, wherever available.

HDMI outputs YCbCr or RGB depending upon the device(s) connected. YCbCr is digital, YPbPr is analog. And the whole point mentioned above, and again, is to NOT make those detours into analog land unless necessary. Defeating encryption might be one of those excuses, but it can and does often come with a resolution/quality penalty.

Never had any trouble here with Intensity Pro. But I don't give it encrypted streams, either. I'm 90% sure it wouldn't accept them. Setup is not that hard as long as you follow their "acceptable configurations" as regards the hardware & OS. Shuttle shouldn't be very different.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. so I get it. There's a war out there on the subject of YPbPr vs HDMI.
    So the remaining question is has anybody used the BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle?

Since this has both component and HDMI inputs, we can turn the flame off on the YPbPr vs HDMI wars.
    The reviews I've seen on this device talk about it being very hard to set up.
    Any experience out there? Does it work?
    Can you take the recorded video and make a BD disk?
    What tool chain did you use? I'd prefer an affordable Video editor and not a $700 or more Adobe Premier solution. I'm currently using Nero Vision for SD DVD, and it works very well for my needs.

Thanks,
    ww
    According to Blackmagic, their Intensity product line won't record HDCP protected video. Since newer satellite boxes/DVRs apply HDCP protection to HDMI output, the Intensity shuttle is unlikely to record the output from your DVR via HDMI. This means that you will have to use component video to capture HD video from the the Hopper, and you will be limited to recording stereo audio too.

I recall from other threads that the Intensity Shuttle doesn't perform well with some USB 3.0 controllers. That tends to be where people encounter the most problems with the device, but there could be others too. I can't tell you which USB 3.0 controllers are good or bad. You can use Google to find out as readily as I can.

Blackmagic's Intensity product line supplies video in uncompressed form, and software is used to compress it. For optimum quality, many users choose codecs that apply light compression, resulting in enormous files that are compressed to an end format later. Blackmagic's products are geared towards professional and prosumer use. Cornucopia may know if there is less expensive software that might work well with it, instead of the programs that Blackmagic mentions at the website.

If you must use HDMI, then there is a work-around for HDCP available for the AVerMedia HD DVR PCI-e device, but it only allows capturing stereo audio. The AVerMedia HD DVR also supplies video in uncompressed form, and software is used to compress it too. Here again, most people using the card choose codecs that apply light compression, resulting in enormous files that have to be compressed to an end format later. Applying heavy compression during capture creates a less satisfactory result.

Capturing HD video using light compression and re-encoding later, seems like a lot of trouble to go to just for the purpose of time shifting. If you want something convenient for time shifting that can record 5.1 audio, the Hauppage HD-PVR, or Hauppage Colossus, which use hardware compression, can do a good job.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    cornucopia, If you're gonna get tied up in knots every time someone disagrees with you, you'll look like a pretzel for a looooooooooooooog time. The two video shops I visited and the film archive labs in Astoria had no HDMI or DVI that I could see. They're still using CRT's to master color and levels. They use LCD's (sometimes) for email and for public display.

Believe me, I fully understand how much you and so many others truly enjoy your blurry Jello-color LCD's. Great for line-drawn toons, where subtlety, depth of tone, and low-level detail aren't at issue, but a real travesty for Toy Story, Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, or even March Of The Penguins. We're all analog creatures, but apparently many today have their senses numbed and muddled by the denuded, rounded-off, destructive digital remnants they've grown up with. Or maybe they were too strongly affected by that purple-tinged, smeary, snowy Emerson or Zenith of their childhoods. My LCD is strictly for utilitarian purposes (low-power "visual Musak", Weather Channel, that sort of thing. Keeps the power bill down). I Use 3 of its HDMI inputs. When I want to seriously get involved in a movie or something like the darkly-photographed Mentalist, I use the plasma or the CRT. And I still use my $3000 turntable to play LP's. If you've ever made a film or spent time in the likes of Carnegie Hall or worked with live Broadway sound, you'd be able to see and hear how HDMI, DVI, BluRay and CD's kill so much of the life in video and audio. So I disagree 100%. I can see and hear the difference. If you can't, that's your business. But don't beat up on others who don't share your preference for media that has been gutted and distorted.

It's up to the O.P what he wants to use. We are throwing up suggestions and alternatives. He should keep in mind that the number one priority for the development of HDMI was to stop consumers from copying anything, and to reduce production costs and increase annual bonuses. Quality and convenience were near the bottom of the list, if they were there at all.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 12:09.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    For convenience, I would recommend an HDCP stripper paired with the Hauppauge Colossus. Advantages: hardware compression, 5.1 audio, you can choose whether to use HDMI or component+optical. Never used this card myself however.

The AVerTV HD DVR card that I do own would be cheaper, and no need for the stripper, but you'd have to rely on your CPU to do the compression.

I don't think any of the options will present a huge gulf in quality, given how much detail is already removed by Dish's overcompression.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use a 4x2 Matrix splitter, an HDFury2, an Hauppauge HD PVR, and my (puny i3) laptop.
    1. Inputs (STB, Blu Ray) into the matrix splitter
    2. First matrix splitter output to TV
    3. Second matrix splitter to HDFury
    4. HDFury to HD PVR
    5. HD PVR to laptop

You lose a bit quality-wise with the analog conversion, and the HD PVR is only capable of 720p or 1080i, but the PQ is still pretty darn good. I *think* the colossus can record 1080p over component, so might yield a slight improvement if you were so inclined.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If you must use HDMI, then there is a work-around for HDCP available for the AVerMedia HD DVR PCI-e device, but it only allows capturing stereo audio. The AVerMedia HD DVR also supplies video in uncompressed form, and software is used to compress it too. Here again, most people using the card choose codecs that apply light compression, resulting in enormous files that have to be compressed to an end format later. Applying heavy compression during capture creates a less satisfactory result.

Capturing HD video using light compression and re-encoding later, seems like a lot of trouble to go to just for the purpose of time shifting. If you want something convenient for time shifting that can record 5.1 audio, the Hauppage HD-PVR, or Hauppage Colossus, which use hardware compression, can do a good job.
    Yes, it is a lot of extra trouble. Interesting you should mention this workaround. I'm still augmenting the PC I built for the Hauppauge HD PVR. I don't record many shows with this thing, and almost all of them need some rework and edits of some kind. Yeah, cleaning up the low-bitrate damage on some telecasts is dreary and somewhat destructive business, but if the source isn't in retail print and never will be, there's not much choice.

If the AverMedia HD unit can allow me to capture to lossless compression of some kind, that would be an improvement. The PC can physically accommodate 3 hard drives (the motherboard will take six drives, 3 USB-3 and 3 USB-2 sata drives, but no room in the case for all six. And I can't see myself trying to maintain 6 big HDD's!). For now, the originals get transferred to external drives and then reworked from the Hauppauge's compressed product; that's a big headache, and some obvious quality loss that requires really careful treatment. Thanks for mentioning. I wasn't aware of the AverMedia unit. . . .
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 12:09. Reason: correct sata specs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post

Yes, it is a lot of extra trouble. Interesting you should mention this workaround. I'm still augmenting the PC I built for the Hauppauge HD PVR. I don't record many shows with this thing, and almost all of them need some rework and edits of some kind. Yeah, cleaning up the low-bitrate damage on some telecasts is dreary and somewhat destructive business, but if the source isn't in retail print and never will be, there's not much choice.

If the AverMedia HD unit can allow me to capture to lossless compression of some kind, that would be an improvement. The PC can physically accommodate 3 hard drives (the motherboard will take six drives, 3 USB-3 and 3 USB-2 sata drives, but no room in the case for all six. And I can't see myself trying to maintain 6 big HDD's!). For now, the originals get transferred to external drives and then reworked from the Hauppauge's compressed product; that's a big headache, and some obvious quality loss that requires really careful treatment. Thanks for mentioning. I wasn't aware of the AverMedia unit. . . .
    Hi Sanlyn,

I have 2 cards AVER HD (C027).

Yes, its record full uncompressed video from HDMI inputs. Down? Yes, sound is mencioned above, Stereo only. But you can setup PS3 to Output Optical and record using your sound card.

For my captures its very nice. Virtualdub or AmarecTV, uncompressed or UT video ULY2 mode, 1080i max.

Ah very cheaper (~90.00$).

One tip: the HDCP pack works with ANY Aver devices HDMI input (All Dark Cristal series and newlys).

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Claudio, I'll look into it. No PS3 around, but stereo is OK with me. I usually clean it up anyway (why is audio on Turner Classic Movies so awful???). Most of the HD clips are old classics anyway, and those were all mono. True, TCM broadcasts a lot of SD but they're encrypted thru the HD box. Stuff like Mentalist or 30Rock in stereo is fine, I won't keep those forever anyway.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 12:09.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chopmeister View Post
    You lose a bit quality-wise with the analog conversion, and the HD PVR is only capable of 720p or 1080i, but the PQ is still pretty darn good. I *think* the colossus can record 1080p over component, so might yield a slight improvement if you were so inclined.
    The Hauppauge Colossus can record 1080i, but not 1080p. The Startech PCI Express HD Video Capture Card PEXHDCAP is the only device mentioned in this thread that can capture 1080p video, although it only captures stereo audio. HD capture devices record the resolution they receive, and as far as I know, Dish's normal programming is still 720p or 1080i. Their On-Demand and PPV can be 1080p, but the OP doesn't want to record that.

Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Regarding hard drive set up... Capturing standard definition interlaced content with a lossless codec creates file sizes in the neighborhood of 30-40 GB/hour. Losslessly compressed HD files from the AVerTV HD DVR PCI-e card would be 5 1/3 or 6 times larger. Capturing that amount of data successfully requires a RAID array.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th May 2012 at 12:06. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Reviews indicate that the Avermedia AVerTV HD DVR c027 works quite well.
    Corel video studio pro x5 Ultimate is quite nice. I'll give it a try with the free trial.
    Looks like I need an HDFury4 to clean up the signals and as a splitter.
    BluRay drive from LG and media from Verbatim round out the package.

Thanks all for weighing in.
    - ww
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reviews indicate that the Avermedia AVerTV HD DVR c027 works quite well.
    Corel video studio pro x5 Ultimate is quite nice. I'll give it a try with the free trial.
    Looks like I need an HDFury4 to clean up the signals and as a splitter.
    BluRay drive from LG and media from Verbatim round out the package.

Thanks all for weighing in.
    - ww
    You may not need the HDFury4. There is a software plugin, "HDCP pack", for the Avermedia AVerTV HD DVR. If it works for you, then a powered HDMI splitter is all you need. This is a popular model: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=...seq=1&format=2
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using the Hauppage Collsus with the hopper connected via HDMI with no problems.
    I have recorded hours of shows in the ts format in Arcsoft Showbiz (supplied) and then cutting comercials with VideoReDo and saving in h264 mp4 format and it works great.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    ^ You're saying the Hopper doesn't encrypt its HDMI output for regular viewing?

Regarding hard drive set up... Capturing standard definition interlaced content with a lossless codec creates file sizes in the neighborhood of 30-40 GB/hour. Losslessly compressed HD files from the AVerTV HD DVR PCI-e card would be 5 1/3 or 6 times larger. Capturing that amount of data successfully requires a RAID array.
    When using Ut Video, it's around 100GB/hr for 720p60, 1080i60, and 1080p30 in my experience. I think my SD recordings are more like 25GB/hr. No RAID required, provided you aren't trying to record a deliberately noisy test pattern.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post

When using Ut Video, it's around 100GB/hr for 720p60, 1080i60, and 1080p30 in my experience. I think my SD recordings are more like 25GB/hr. No RAID required, provided you aren't trying to record a deliberately noisy test pattern.

In theory its necessary, but in theory. I record 720p with UT Video and RAID and normal HD, no problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bandwidth_SDI.jpg
Views:	6985
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	12323

720p: the image in the 720p60 format has about 0,922 megapixels per frame (1280×720), with 24-bit color per pixel (RGB) and 60 full images per second it needs a bandwidth of about 1.30 Gbps.

1080i: the image in the 1080i60 format has about 2.07 megapixels per frame (1920x1080), with 24-bit color per pixel (RGB) and 60 half-images per second it needs a bandwidth of about 1.46 Gbps.

1080p: the image in the 1080p60 format has about 2.07 megapixels per frame (1920x1080), with 24-bit color per pixel (RGB) and 60 full images per second it needs a bandwidth of about 2.97 Gbps.

Code:
    Standard Definition
    Frame Size                  MB/second       MB/minute      GB/hour
    720x486/29.97fps (NTSC)       21.5            1288          75.5
    720x576/25fps (PAL)           21.2           1274.4          75

High Definition
    1280x720p/59.94fps            106.8          6409.7         375.6
    1920x1080/50i                 100.3          6020.5         352.8
    1920x1080/59.94i               120           7199.9         421.9
    source: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18254633#post18254633

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 5th May 2012 at 18:19.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM

The figures I quoted were supposed to be for Lagarith and HuffYUV. Maybe things have changed with SATA 6 Gb/s and faster drives, so it is possible to record capture files at 100 GB/hr no problem without using RAID.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

The figures I quoted were supposed to be for Lagarith and HuffYUV. Maybe things have changed with SATA 6 Gb/s and faster drives, so it is possible to record capture files at 100 GB/hr no problem without using RAID.
    Sustained transfer rates are more in the 90-120 MB/s range for a typical hard drive and this varies for the inner vs outer end of the drive platter. You would need to move to a 10K or 15K RPM Raptor to attempt single disk capture. Best to use a two disk RAID0. A RAID reads one disk from the fast end and the other from the slow end to average to a combined 2x rate over the full range of the drive.

Here are the uncompressed data rates for a BlackMagic Intensity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bmintensityuc.jpg
Views:	19922
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	12324

Keep in mind that 1MB/s is equivalent to 8 Mb/s (Bytes vs Bits).

And yes, 1 hour of uncompressed 1080i takes up 421.9 GB !

I capture most HD off the Firewire port on my cable box. This way I get their best quality as MPeg2 TS in the 8-16 Mb/s range (~1-2 MB/s). Second I capture OTA or QAM off a tuner card which is also MPeg2 @ 10-16 Mb/s.

If I were to cap from analog component, I'd compress (MJPEG, Cineform, etc.) to at least fit on a single drive sustained rate. I'm glad I don't need to do that very often.
    Last edited by edDV; 5th May 2012 at 19:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may not need the HDFury4. There is a software plugin, "HDCP pack", for the Avermedia AVerTV HD DVR. If it works for you, then a powered HDMI splitter is all you need. This is a popular model: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=...seq=1&format=2
    Yes I see that I don't need the HDFury4. It took some digging on their site, but I finally understand that the HDFury boxes are Digital IN >> Analog OUT boxes. sigh...
    Software plugin? I'll research that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by n8tvm53 View Post
    I have been using the Hauppage Collsus with the hopper connected via HDMI with no problems.
    I have recorded hours of shows in the ts format in Arcsoft Showbiz (supplied) and then cutting comercials with VideoReDo and saving in h264 mp4 format and it works great.
    Very interesting about the hopper.
    Thanks,
    wp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by n8tvm53 View Post
    Very interesting about the hopper.
    Thanks,
    wp
    So does that mean Dish isn't using HDCP?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    On their site: http://www.mydish.com/support/drm
    Scroll down to the HDCP section. Looks like their policies include PPV and Streaming stuff at least are encrypted.

Not sure. On the hopper, checked several channels: SyFy and ABC Evening News.
    And if you look in Menu >> Settings >> Network setup >> Tests >> HDMI >> HDCP
    it shows you the Encrypted state.
    It shows unencrypted for SyFy live and ABC Evening News playback from DVR event.

wp
    Last edited by windyweather; 5th May 2012 at 19:39. Reason: clarify
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    On their site: http://www.mydish.com/support/drm
    Scroll down to the HDCP section. Looks like their policies include PPV and Streaming stuff at least are encrypted.

Not sure. On the hopper, checked several channels: SyFy and ABC Evening News.
    And if you look in Menu >> Settings >> Network setup >> Tests >> HDMI >> HDCP
    it shows you the Encrypted state.
    It shows unencrypted for SyFy live and ABC Evening News playback from DVR event.

wp
    If Dish's DVRs don't apply HDCP to most content, then the Hauppauge Colossus is an option as well as the AVerMedia HD DVR PCI-e. The Colossus's hardware encoder is supposed to do a good job, and would free up your CPU for other tasks, plus it can record 5.1 audio. You would still need a powered HDMI splitter to supply a signal to your TV and the Colossus. The Colossus's component pass-through only works for component input. One thing to be aware of, the Colossus apparently needs to be power cycled every few days, like the Hauppauge HD-PVR USB capture device.

It is possible Dish could change their policy at some point. Most other paid TV services do apply HDCP to discourage recording using 3rd party devices. That arrangement tends to make both the service provider and the content providers happy. Neither wants subscribers to have portable recordings which might be given to someone who does not have a subscription.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th May 2012 at 20:20. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I accualy have it hooked to a receiver in another roon (JOEY) if I hook it straight in it works but if i hook it through a splitter it don't.
    If the JOEY is hookef to anything that supports HDCP it encrypts but hooked to the Colossua alone it Doesn’t. It took me a while to figure that out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Everything on Comcast HDMI is HDCP encrypted but in my community most channels are in the clear over IEEE-1394 (not Premium or PPV).

If Dish isn't using HDCP, I'll consider changing. If Comcast blocks IEEE-1394, I'll switch anyway.

Note that I added info on "uncompressed" above.
    Quote Quote