VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a purchased a second hand USB stick capture card and require a buy software for the same - hence am on the look out for software taht will id my card and enable schedule captures from sundry video sources

I trialled Christrv but it does not recognise my stick
    Others I have heard of are Honestech and Intervideo

I have managed to find out that the chipset within is Trident TV Master 5600

Can you add some more names for me to trial, decide and buy?

BTW what are WDM drivers?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You could try Arcsoft's TME. A little pricey, but if it recognizes your card you'd be pretty well set. It also includes excellent Blu-Ray player software. The editing and conversion software is rather primitive, but it does work. I use TME with my Hauppauge HD-PVR.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    I have a purchased a second hand USB stick capture card and require a buy software for the same - hence am on the look out for software taht will id my card and enable schedule captures from sundry video sources

I trialled Christrv but it does not recognise my stick
    Others I have heard of are Honestech and Intervideo

I have managed to find out that the chipset within is Trident TV Master 5600

Can you add some more names for me to trial, decide and buy?

BTW what are WDM drivers?
    Windows Driver Model (WDM) is the current Windows driver standard used for analog capture devices and analog TV tuners, while Broadcast Driver Architecture (BDA) is is the current Windows driver standard used for digital capture and digital TV tuners.

I'll assume your profile is out of date and you have upgraded to a newer machine running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7.

The USB-stick type capture devices with no tuner only seem to work with Windows capture software which does not allow users to schedule recordings. DScaler and AmaRecTV are free options for watching TV and manual capturing, although encoding options are limited. (DScaler works best with XP.) I do not know of any DVR/PVR software for Windows that allows scheduled recordings from a pure analog capture USB-stick type device with no analog tuner.

If your device has an analog tuner and WDM drivers, there are also these options in addition to Arcsoft Total Media Extreme:

MediaPortal, which is good a free program but definitely not plug-and-play. You will need to spend considerable time configuring the software to get it in working order.

Windows Media Center is worth trying if you have it.

Snapstream BeyondTV is a commercial product and not cheap, but if recognizes your device, it is easier to set up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks you both - will download and try the free versions first
    Quote Quote