VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey...I am trying to play MKV file which I have converted from AVI file on my Blu ray player to watch on television. I know that the player should play these files and have done once before but have problems with most. I copy to it to a USB, plug in which player picks up, select file then am told to wait for a while then get the option to play then get black screen. Can anybody tell me what I maybe doing wrong, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. AVI and MKV are containers. They can contain audio and video encoded with any of a number of different codecs. Players typically only handle certain codecs. Figure out what you player requires and convert to those specs. Blu-ray players that play MKV typically take h.264 video and AC3 or MP3 audio. You can use MediaInfo to see what codecs and properties your files have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jagabo. Below is the info from MediaInfo...Can you give me an idea of what I should be tweaking?

General

Unique ID : 184987112444769441621290835985851673141 (0x8B2B38CFA37032128F61367058CAEA35)
    Complete name : C:\Users\Debbie\Videos\tel10.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 1
    File size : 858 MiB
    Duration : 1h 26mn
    Overall bit rate : 1 392 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-05-04 13:39:53
    Writing application : AVSMatroskaFile
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video

ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L5.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 1 172 Kbps
    Width : 712 pixels
    Height : 356 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.000
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.193
    Stream size : 723 MiB (84%)
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio

ID : 2
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Codec ID : A_MPEG/L3
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 118 MiB (14%)
    Writing library : LAMELAME_MAJOR_VERSI
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is that a file that doesn't play? Do you have specs for a file that does play? For comparison.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Is that a file that doesn't play? Do you have specs for a file that does play? For comparison.
    Yes it is. No I don't have that file anymore that played so have nothing to compare. My player is a Sharp BD-HP25.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are you using a recent version of MediaInfo? There is an MKV feature that causes problems for many players but old versions of MediaInfo may not show it.

Try this: download MkvToolnix. Start the program called MMG.EXE (Mkv Merge GUI). Select File ->Options. On the MMG tab, put a checkmark in "Disable Header Removal Compression...". The program only checks that setting at startup so exit MMG, then restart it. Now open your MKV file and Save it (if it used Header Removal Compression, the new file won't have it). See if that new file plays.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using a recent version of MediaInfo? There is an MKV feature that causes problems for many players but old versions of MediaInfo may not show it.

Try this: download MkvToolnix. Start the program called MMG.EXE (Mkv Merge GUI). Select File ->Options. On the MMG tab, put a checkmark in "Disable Header Removal Compression...". The program only checks that setting at startup so exit MMG, then restart it. Now open your MKV file and Save it (if it used Header Removal Compression, the new file won't have it). See if that new file plays.
    Yes am using the most recent version of MediaInfo.

I have downloaded MKVtoolnix and checked the disable header removal compression and closed. Do I now have to add my file in MKVtoolnix and select muxing?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Deblk View Post
    I have downloaded MKVtoolnix and checked the disable header removal compression and closed. Do I now have to add my file in MKVtoolnix and select muxing?
    Yes, after restarting MMG use the Add button to add your MKV file, then pess the Start Muxing button to create a new file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Deblk View Post
    Yes, after restarting MMG use the Add button to add your MKV file, then pess the Start Muxing button to create a new file.
    Ok thanks. When I added the file it showed two entries would that be correct?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Deblk View Post
    When I added the file it showed two entries would that be correct?
    Yes, the audio and the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, this is outcome:

General
    Unique ID : 194369698061164626725753843408929775964 (0x923A3DFF5C6D31098D03D4347AFB615C)
    Complete name : C:\Users\Debbie\Videos\tel10 (1).mkv
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 855 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 1 386 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-05-04 19:10:28
    Writing application : mkvmerge v5.5.0 ('Healer') built on Apr 6 2012 21:43:24
    Writing library : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
    Format profile : Main@L5.1
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Bit rate : 1 167 Kbps
    Width : 712 pixels
    Height : 356 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.000
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.192
    Stream size : 720 MiB (84%)

Audio
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Codec ID : A_MPEG/L3
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Stream size : 118 MiB (14%)
    Writing library : LAMELAME_MAJOR_VERSI
    Quote Quote  
  12. Did your Blu-ray player play the new file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry have not had a chance to test it. All ready to test in morning, will let you know. Thanks for asking
    Quote Quote  
  14. If that doesn't work about the only other thing I can see is the frame size. Some players require that the frame dimensions be integer multiples of 16. So 704x352 is more likely to play than your video's 712x356.

Oh, one other thing: the profile is listed as Main@L5.1 although the level appears to be well below 5.1. Try changing it to 4.1 or 4.0 with a profile editor.
    http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/h264leveleditor
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th May 2012 at 18:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok...will let you know hun...thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, one other thing: the profile is listed as Main@L5.1 although the level appears to be well below 5.1. Try changing it to 4.1 or 4.0 with a profile editor.
    I changed the profile to 4.1 then checked with MediaInfo and it was still showing 5.1....What do these profiles mean?
    Quote Quote  
  17. What do these profiles mean?
    Profile&Level combination are ment to provide categories.
    These categories are ment so restrict the features used during encoding to ensure devices/decoders that content can be created in a way such that devices that are only capable to handle a restricted subset of these categories can handle the content.

Overview of Profiles and Levels in H.264:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

Cu Selur

Ps.: changing the profile&level flags won't change the content of the stream, so if the stream uses a feature that needs High@4.1 changing it to Main@3.1 won't allow the content to be playable on a device that only supports content up to Main@3.1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Selur for the info although I have to say this is far too complicated for me. I thought when buying the player it would play MKV files without all this fuffing about

When I have done this I end up with 2 files...MKV and a BAK file. Do I have to copy both these files onto my USB or just the MKV? On my laptop I have set up VLC Player to play MKV files, would that make a difference if you get my meaning?
    Last edited by Deblk; 5th May 2012 at 06:55.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Deblk View Post
    Try changing it to 4.1 or 4.0 with a profile editor.
    When I have done this I end up with 2 files...MKV and a BAK file. Do I have to copy both these files onto my USB or just the MKV?
    You only need the MKV file. The BAK file contains a list of the changes the program made so restore the original data if necessary.

I changed the profile to 4.1 then checked with MediaInfo and it was still showing 5.1....
    That's odd. It should have shown the new profile@level. Are you sure you didn't make a mistake? Maybe changed or checked the wrong file?

On my laptop I have set up VLC Player to play MKV files, would that make a difference if you get my meaning?
    No, it doesn't matter what player you have associated with MKV files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have found the MKV file that plays

General
    Unique ID : 193952070835471502887458916873769945754 (0x91E9CF62B33D88268306071C12B98A9A)
    Complete name : F:\Movie Library\Movies\Thriller-Sci-fi\Another Earth\ArEh11\ArEh11.mkv
    File size : 697 MiB
    Duration : 1h 32mn
    Overall bit rate : 1 054 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-10-29 03:43:19
    Writing application : mkvmerge v5.0.1 ('Es ist Sommer') built on Oct 9 2011 11:55:43
    Writing library : libebml v1.2.2 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
    Format profile : High@L3.0
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Bit rate : 863 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 384 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.85:1
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.130
    Stream size : 556 MiB (80%)
    Writing library : x264 core 119 r2106 07efeb4
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=863 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 127 MiB (18%)

Changes below:
    Format profile : High@L3.0

What is format version?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I cannot change to the format profile from 5.1 to 3.1....I have tried TSMuxer and H264 Level editor and everytime I check with MediaInfo it stays at 5.1?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Try a quick remux with mmg (add file, start muxing). Then see if h264 level editor can change the new file.

The info you posted about the file that does play looks to use much higher profile settings than the file that doesn't play (regardless of what the profile@level flag in the header says). I suspect the problem is the non mod-16 frame size in the "bad" file.

<edit> I did find an old MKV file that was version 1. h264 level editor had no problem changing the level. You did press the Change Level button, right? </edit>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try a quick remux with mmg (add file, start muxing). Then see if h264 level editor can change the new file.

The info you posted about the file that does play looks to use much higher profile settings than the file that doesn't play (regardless of what the profile@level flag in the header says). I suspect the problem is the non mod-16 frame size in the "bad" file.

<edit> I did find an old MKV file that was version 1. h264 level editor had no problem changing the level. You did press the Change Level button, right? </edit>
    MediaInfo still says 5.1 but when I add the file to H264 it shows 3.1

Erm....yes, did press the change level button lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have changed to 3.1 by using TS in TSmuxing which shows as correct in MediaInfo. I am not sure what this file is now?
    Quote Quote  
  25. All you're doing is changing a flag in the header. You aren't changing the properties of the video itself. But many players use that flag to determine whether they will attempt to play the video. Have you tried playing any of the modified files yet?

TS is just another container. You might try using MMG to mux that TS to a MKV if your player doesn't support TS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All you're doing is changing a flag in the header. You aren't changing the properties of the video itself. But many players use that flag to determine whether they will attempt to play the video. Have you tried playing any of the modified files yet?

TS is just another container. You might try using MMG to mux that TS to a MKV if your player doesn't support TS.
    Have not tried the TS file as I did not think it would play. Did not realise I could mux that to a MKV file. Whats the best way to change the frame rate as you said I should try changing it to multples of 16 earlier?
    Quote Quote  
  27. What program are you using to remux into TS? TsMuxer allows both TS and M2TS muxing. M2TS is the native container for Blu-ray so it may play.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What program are you using to remux into TS? TsMuxer allows both TS and M2TS muxing. M2TS is the native container for Blu-ray so it may play.
    I am using tsmuxer, will try M2TS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Woop Woop...this is what I did:

The file that played before was a format file 3.0 so needed to get this result showing with MediaInfo
    I used TSMuxer and changed level with tsmuxing selected which created a TS file
    I then used MKVMerge to mux the TS file which created MKV file with the format file of my choice

I am sure there is a much easier way but I did this with 2 files and they both worked. I have no idea why H264LevelEditor did not work as that would have been a much quicker solution

Thanks guys for all your help and will now leave you in peace
    Quote Quote