VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi all,
    im trying to create an animation out of still images in sony vegas pro 9.0
    so i simply add the images (untitled1.bmp, untitled2.bmp, untitled3.bmp, untitled4.bmp etc) to a new track

the problem? their order on/in the track is messed up, like untitled4.bmp is first, untitled2.bmp is second, etc etc
    how can i keep their order to be by filename?

thank you very much for your time, this tiny problem has incapacitated me

EDIT:
    problem is fully described with a video in post 11 and it was solved in posts 12-13
    inbetween posts are attempts of describing the problem
    Last edited by thesmotis; 4th May 2012 at 07:01.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is weird, I cannot reproduce this. It seems to always be in numerical order here. I either marquee select or ctrl+select , or shift+select, it's always in order...

Can you clarify how you are placing the images on the track ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. sony vegas > explorer > click - drag - select the files/images > click - drag - add the files to the timeline/track
    it's weird so i tried some other images and there was no problem
    edited: so the problem lies with the specific files and filenames and
    unfortunately i suppose only god knows how to solve this, bcz the images are generated automatically so i don't want to rename them every time even with a renamer
    Last edited by thesmotis; 3rd May 2012 at 18:19.
    Quote Quote  
  4. So it's only this set of bmp images that is giving problems? (I tried a set of .bmp's too without issue)

Did you try moving the location of the files? DId you try restart vegas and/or reboot computer?

Perhaps you can batch convert them to. png? e.g. gimp or photoshop (try a few first, not waste time with whole bunch)
    Quote Quote  
  5. edited:yeah apparently the problem lies only with the specific files/images which are generated automatically by other programs
    anyway it's not a one time thing but something i want to do regularly so batch converting or renaming is not desirable
    i mean it must be a joke, 2012 and im still getting file shorting bugs with these unbelievable computers
    windows xp recognises the filenames and shorts it fine, vegas doesn't - ok im changing video editor
    don't let me waste more of your time, thnx a lot
    Last edited by thesmotis; 3rd May 2012 at 18:19.
    Quote Quote  
  6. i am not sure why i was wrong, but i was
    the problem is not only with the specific files but general
    i just duplicated an image from the web, used flash renamer and renamed it to untitled1, untitled2 etc
    and vegas is still not accepting the images in the correct order
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something like that would never fly in Vegas, too many users make still sequences and slideshows. It must be something in your configuration. Try going into preferences and setting everything to default.

I'm still unclear of whether you are importing by multiple selecting, one at a time, or as a still sequence.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by thesmotis View Post
    edited:yeah apparently the problem lies only with the specific files/images which are generated automatically by other programs
    anyway it's not a one time thing but something i want to do regularly so batch converting or renaming is not desirable
    i mean it must be a joke, 2012 and im still getting file shorting bugs with these unbelievable computers
    windows xp recognises the filenames and shorts it fine, vegas doesn't - ok im changing video editor
    don't let me waste more of your time, thnx a lot

what are you talking about this "windows recognize filename and shorts it fine" mean ? Are you referring to file extensions or something else?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    what are you talking about this "windows recognize filename and shorts it fine" mean ?
    He means the "filename shorting bug", or "FSB" as we used to call it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. sry for the delay it was almost morning here
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Something like that would never fly in Vegas, too many users make still sequences and slideshows. It must be something in your configuration. Try going into preferences and setting everything to default.
    i know, im just trying to isolate the problem at the moment, bcz if i just bypass issues like that without identifying them like via resetting or reinstalling, then i' ll just keep getting more new trouble - i don't prefer the bless of ignorance
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I'm still unclear of whether you are importing by multiple selecting, one at a time, or as a still sequence.
    i wrote exactly what im doing in a previous post but bcz im new to vegas, im not sure what else you are asking for
    Originally Posted by thesmotis View Post
    sony vegas > explorer > click - drag - select the files/images > click - drag - add the files to the timeline/track
    it's certainly multiple selecting, that is, i select more than 1 files and drag them to a new track
    'still sequence' is a sequence of still images (sry im not british)? what else could it be (sry im new to vegas)?

again thank you for your time, the day has just began here so i'll do some more tests
    Last edited by thesmotis; 4th May 2012 at 03:33.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ok i made a little video to demonstrate the problem
    the images on the video are brand new, created in ps
    the quality is low due to the host's compression, click the little magnifying glass to maximize the video

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=qxrjh3&s=6
    Quote Quote  
  12. When you grabbed the group to drag them you grabbed untitled2. That's why untitled2 came up first in the timeline. Grab untitled1 instead.

Grab:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	grab.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	12303

Drop:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	drop.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	12304

In all the drag/drop operations when you grabbed the top item in the highlighted list they appeared in the right order. When you grabbed another item in the list they came up in the wrong order.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th May 2012 at 06:42.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    When you grabbed the group to drag them you grabbed untitled2. That's why untitled2 came up first in the timeline. Grab untitled1 instead.
    thank you! my fault then, i didn't read the basics for sony vegas so i thought multiple selected files acted as a block and didn't matter where on the block i would click drag from
    thank you for your time, sry for bothering for such a minor thing
    Quote Quote