VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Another possiblity for me would be to find an adapter 8pin(output)>s-video (input) directly
    You usually don't need an adapter for that. The four pins on a male s-video cable match the four holes in the 8 pin DIN. I can't tell for sure from the picture though.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    The adapter i have currently is exactly this one (minus the component parts and with 2x rca audio+1mini jack ): https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12281&d=1336058503

I want something more compact and not easily breakable (this one is in my eyes, with the time the cables become"loose" = problems) but it seems i can't find what i want...
    There are lots of breakout cables sold as spare parts for ATI All-In-Wonder series cards and other ATI capture devices, plus some Hauppauge cards, but none look like the item you want.

I have not seen many adapters sold as spare parts for other capture devices, so I agree that you probably won't find an adapter that will work for the unnamed capture device you have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pinnacle tech support will know the pinout and can probably supply a breakout cable..

If you don't want to make the call, buy the connectors and a soldiering iron then try all combinations of pins 5-7 until you find the L and R audio inputs. Pins 1-4 will be S-Video (with grounds). The third unidentified pin is probably composite video in.
    Last edited by edDV; 4th May 2012 at 12:57.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. You usually don't need an adapter for that. The four pins on a male s-video cable match the four holes in the 8 pin DIN. I can't tell for sure from the picture though.
    I had that card and 4pin svideo cable or connector works ok on input also I used svideo to composite converter and it works great. I never did get any converter with the box and i assume that there is not any.
    You can use the composite from box to your card via converter like on the picture and use sound out from box to your sound card like on the second picture and you will get stereo and composite in your PC.

Concerning other question ( 320x240 restrain ) if you use windows 7 you cant do it automatically ( get other resolutions )in Vdub you have to choose custom res and chose there 720x576 yuv2 and then not touch anything else in vdub or it wil revert back again. The card ( windows 7 driver ) also don't let you use levels ( hardware proc amp controls of the card) so I used Xp as a paralleled OS.

The technical support of pinnacle hardware was always bad and driver support is even worse.
    Image Attached Images    
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Re: S-Video to composite adapter.

Name:  Adapter_S-comp.png
Views: 3441
Size:  50.5 KBName:  Adapter_S-comp_pins.png
Views: 6709
Size:  9.6 KB

This type of "adapter" should only be used on the S-Video output, never on the input. Its purpose is to sum luma+chroma into composite. It doesn't work in the reverse direction. It will put composite into luma and chroma channels causing severe cross-color, cross-luma artifacts.

The input side connector will usually have a pin assigned as composite input that will be routed to the Y/C separator.

There are exceptions with some Hauppauge cards where the Y channel can be switched (in setup) to be composite or S-Video luma.
    Quote Quote  
  6. This type of "adapter" should only be used on the S-Video output, never on the input. Its purpose is to sum luma+chroma into composite. It doesn't work in the reverse direction. It will put composite into luma and chroma channels causing severe cross-color, cross-luma artifacts.
    I don't know about other cards but i have used it in this card couple of years with no problem at all and the picture was excellent ( as composite can be . I used it as composite to svideo in no problems you have to select composite in vdub not svideo tough
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    This type of "adapter" should only be used on the S-Video output, never on the input. Its purpose is to sum luma+chroma into composite. It doesn't work in the reverse direction. It will put composite into luma and chroma channels causing severe cross-color, cross-luma artifacts.
    I don't know about other cards but i have used it in this card couple of years with no problem at all and the picture was excellent ( as composite can be . I used it as composite to svideo in no problems you have to select composite in vdub not svideo tough
    You have a Pinnacle PCTV 110i tuner card with 7 pin Mini-Din input connector?

If what you say is correct, then the 110i switches Y (pins 1,3) to be S-Video Y or composite internal to the card like some of the Hauppauge HVR cards do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You have a Pinnacle PCTV 110i tuner card with 7 pin Mini-Din input connector?

If what you say is correct, then the 110i switches Y (pins 1,3) to be S-Video Y or composite internal to the card like some of the Hauppauge HVR cards do.
    Yes I had exactly the same card with 7 pin Mini Din but i sold it now i have aver media trinity. I used it without problem as i sad i never get any converter in the box that came with it i just used the same composite to svideo as shown on the picture ( that i had it before) when was using the composite in to the pc, and svideo cable ( the 4 pin one ) when i used equipment that has svideo out ( like mine svhs recorders for instance ) and it fits perfectly.
    The card is very stable for bad signal in ( unlike allot of newer pci-e cards ) takes good hits from tbc errors from vhs for example but poor driver support and as I sad not been able to work "properly" in windows 7 made me sell it.

I never even new that on the 7 pins there is audio as he is saying, never tried it ether i always use audio in directly
    Last edited by mammo1789; 4th May 2012 at 18:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    You have a Pinnacle PCTV 110i tuner card with 7 pin Mini-Din input connector?

Yes I had exactly the same card with 7 pin Mini Din but i sold it now i have aver media trinity. I used it without problem as i sad i never get any converter in the box that came with it i just used the same composite to svideo as shown on the picture ( that i had it before) when was using the composite in to the pc, and svideo cable ( the 4 pin one ) when i used equipment that has svideo out ( like mine svhs recorders for instance ) and it fits perfectly.
    The card is very stable for bad signal in ( unlike allot of newer pci-e cards ) takes good hits from tbc errors from vhs for example but poor driver support and as I sad not been able to work "properly" in windows 7 made me sell it.

I never even new that on the 7 pins there is audio as he is saying, never tried it ether i always use audio in directly
    Other similar cards cards (e.g. Hauppauge, ATI, NVidia VIVO cards) with 7-8 pin connectors take S-Video, audio and composite in. The pin assignment isn't always the same. Pins 1-4 are always S-Video. Some cards also take composite in on pins 1,3. Others take composite and left/right audio on pins 5,6,7 and 8 (ATI only).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Following-up

Since apparently the 4 pins of the 8 pins mini-din and s-video match as suggested here (and as verified by me with the 8pins male ) today i tried to connect the s-video male (i have removed the little plastic part inside otherwise it would not insert) ) directly into the 8pin mini-din input of my card an all i could get was a colorless image (black&white).

I'm pretty sure i have well connected them (all the way in) so i don't know what's wrong, the s-video cable is brand new (cheap one but new and tested ok)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Following-up

Since apparently the 4 pins of the 8 pins mini-din and s-video match as suggested here (and as verified by me with the 8pins male ) today i tried to connect the s-video male (i have removed the little plastic part inside otherwise it would not insert) ) directly into the 8pin mini-din input of my card an all i could get was a colorless image (black&white).

I'm pretty sure i have well connected them (all the way in) so i don't know what's wrong, the s-video cable is brand new (cheap one but new and tested ok)
    For S-Video, monochrome luma (Y) is carried on pins 1+3 and modulated chroma (C) on pins 2+4.

Are you sure you switched the capture app to S-Video? If set to composite, it may be only looking at pins 1+3.
    Quote Quote  
  12. 100% sure
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    The fact that you had to remove the plastic key implies the port doesn't have standard s-video pinouts.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You can use the composite from box to your card via converter like on the picture and use sound out from box to your sound card like on the second picture and you will get stereo and composite in your PC.
    Thanks for your input. Is there any A/V lag when u connect the audio thru the line in ports of the mobo. I have an intel DG45id mobo, i believe i have to get rca to 3.5mm convertor for the connection to work, right ?

Concerning other question ( 320x240 restrain ) if you use windows 7 you cant do it automatically ( get other resolutions )in Vdub you have to choose custom res and chose there 720x576 yuv2 and then not touch anything else in vdub or it wil revert back again. The card ( windows 7 driver ) also don't let you use levels ( hardware proc amp controls of the card) so I used Xp as a paralleled OS.
    Yes, i m using win 7. I will try vdub, i was using chris tv and pinnacle tv center which sucks. The picture quality is atleast 2x better on christv.

This adapter comes as a standard accessory with pctv 110i. I have it too, but i never bothered using it since i wanted one connector to carry both the video and audio. Never wanted the audio to go in thru the mobo.

100% sure
    Try changing to composite 1 or composite 2 if you hv those options. Which application are u usuing. For me i have to select composite both in christv and under pinnacle's tvcenter pro for the sound and colour video to show up. If i do s-video i get only black and white video minus the sound.
    Last edited by techspark; 8th May 2012 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What did Pinnacle tech support have to say?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I did not try contacting them. I am sure they would not entertain my request as my card is almost a 5 yr old card. Anyways, for now i am getting used to the mono audio and maybe in a month or so i will get the hauppauge hd pvr.
    Quote Quote  
  17. If you're going to capture with only one channel use a y adapter cable to sum the left and right channels from the source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't want to ask Pinnacle, then test all possible combinations of pins 3-7 until you find Audio L and Audio R in.
    Quote Quote