VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've asked this question in other forums and haven't gotten an answer so here goes.
    I shoot a lot of video of reenactments and then add effects to make the footage look old (greyscale,grain,lines,ect). My camera of choice is a Canon sd1000,which shoots at 15 frames per second at 4:3 aspect. Cameras like this have pretty much disappeared from the landscape. The closest I can find is an hd camcorder that shoots 24p. So, my question is, how can I: A)convert 16:9 footage to 4:3 with out adding the very noticeable black bars on the sides of my video? And, B) How can I drop frames to make it look like it was shot at 15-16 frames per second. Essentially,I'm trying to make my footage look like it was shot between 1900 and 1925. All of my NLEs have an export option of QVGA, but the image size is smaller than 640 x 480. but it does export at 15 fps. Any ideas on how to get the effect I'm looking for? Thanks for any help you can give.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Take a look at Cinelerra and Cinepaint.

Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. mencoder/mplayer with 'filmdint' and 'io=' option should to the trick,.. see: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.txt
    (assuming you got some basic knowledge how to use mencoder)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by oldmanfilm View Post
    A)convert 16:9 footage to 4:3 with out adding the very noticeable black bars on the sides of my video?
    Converting from 16:9 to 4:3 doesn't add black bars to the sides. It adds them above and below. Maybe you meant converting 4:3 to 16:9?

Either that or you crop away active video from the sides to go from a 1.78:1 ratio to 1.33:1.
    B) How can I drop frames to make it look like it was shot at 15-16 frames per second.
    AviSynth's ChangeFPS command is one way:

ChangeFPS(16)

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/FPS
    Quote Quote  
  5. totally forgot about AvxSynth,...
    Quote Quote