VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You might have better luck if you upload a short video clip of the original raw unconverted video.

I'm not saying you will, but there is a slightly better chance.
    If you do not know how to edit out a small clip of the video you can get the information of the video format, etc. with something like MediaInfo, then post that info here and someone can guide you further on what program to use to cut out a small clip to upload.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo

But don't expect a miracle as CSI show's tend to make people think more is possible than what really is...

Search PM
    How hard is it to tell the police to look for a grayish pickup truck with a big dent in the front corner? It is "leaving the scene of an accident ", right? So that becomes a police matter, regardless of license plate. And they do have "detectives ", so...

Scott

3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply Noahtuck.

I will try to get it uploaded. It's at the church and I'm at home and the video file was too big to email so I stuck with the screen shots. This was the best screen shot I could obtain from the video file.

It's a pretty bad raw video file, since it's from a security camera. Also it's a qsee camera system so the original raw video is a .dat file. Should I upload the .dat file or .avi it can convert to?

Thanks again

4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    How hard is it to tell the police to look for a grayish pickup truck with a big dent in the front corner? It is "leaving the scene of an accident ", right? So that becomes a police matter, regardless of license plate. And they do have "detectives ", so...

Scott
    Thanks for the reply Scott.

One of the members is ex-police and that's what he's trying to do. It won't be hard to find the person because they drop their kid off at the school every day... I doubt they'll come back with that same pickup for awhile though. And I was hoping to get some digits just to help the police out, it will only be that much quicker to find the person.

5. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Scott
    I was thinking that also, but i am a bit cynical when it comes to the police doing anything other than having idiot criminals fall into their laps because they are idiots.......

But ya know how people want to do the CSI thing

Search Comp PM
    The police can narrow that model/color Dodge truck quickly to a few possible. Every captured plate letter will narrow further but they have other ways to separate who was where. If this is a church member case solved.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about

7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Saving that image as compressed jpg won't help you or us. How was the original photo made? How did you get it into Photoshop? Photoshop can save images in lossless PNG format.

But none of this should be necessary. The photo of the car, model, color and the crushed front corner should be all the police need.

I agree with earlier remarks. The cute tricks you see on police TV shows are the fantasies of script writers who wouldn't know computer graphics from the holes in their heads.

8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    The police can narrow that model/color Dodge truck quickly to a few possible. Every captured plate letter will narrow further but they have other ways to separate who was where. If this is a church member case solved.
    Yep, when it comes to people with "common sense"....
    But we are talking about people who decide to become "police officers".....
    And in my lifetime of experience, that is usually people that do not hold a lot of the aforementioned attributes...

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    And in my lifetime of experience, that is usually people that do not hold a lot of the aforementioned attributes...
    Out here in CA they average $120k/yr and can retire in 20 years.

Search PM
    You'd better be either smiling, standing at attention or waving a flag when you say that. The uniform alone makes them a "hero".....and a "patriot", each and every one of them.

11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Saving that image as compressed jpg won't help you or us. How was the original photo made? How did you get it into Photoshop? Photoshop can save images in lossless PNG format.

But none of this should be necessary. The photo of the car, model, color and the crushed front corner should be all the police need.

I agree with earlier remarks. The cute tricks you see on police TV shows are the fantasies of script writers who wouldn't know computer graphics from the holes in their heads.
    It was originally a BMP but I saw in the image notes only jpeg and a few other formats were allowed.
    Last edited by user65; 2nd May 2012 at 13:45. Reason: remove picture

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The above image has more artifacts and blur than the earlier one. If you converted a JPG back to BMP, it will look worse. If you had Photoshop available, why not save the original BMP as PNG instead of going thru JPG ? Anyway, how was the original image captured? How did it get into Photoshop in the first place?

13. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You'd better be either smiling, standing at attention or waving a flag when you say that. The uniform alone makes them a "hero".....and a "patriot", each and every one of them.
    Nice cast, I'll bite.

Yeah, how did that meme get so embedded in the culture? It's embarrassing. I thought we were supposed to be beyond judging by the group.

Don't get me wrong, my best friends are retired state troopers. (We meet at the club's trap range weekly and hunt pheasants together every Autumn). They're just guys who tried to do their duty. And a neighbor is a serving police officer.

Sorry for the O.T.

[EDIT] BTW, they all have "Barney Fife" stories to tell about, um, less competent colleagues.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 2nd May 2012 at 08:50.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    My experience is that in larger American cities the police are quite a bit more competent. However, I was raised in a small town of 50,000 and I can tell you that in my hometown you'd be lucky if the police figured out that they were looking for a gray truck after seeing the video. Not kidding about that. Those guys are idiots.

Search PM
    I'm not always the police's biggest fan either, but I know a bunch that are just hard-working folks who don't get paid enough for the shit they have to deal with on a daily basis (both situations & people). And they're smarter than most people, too (those few officers that I know). They COULD figure this one out fairly quicktly. So, let's not go stereotyping, huh?

@user65, how large is the .DAT file? It would be best if you could give us the true original (assuming it uses a standard codec - this may be a problem with security cams).

Scott

16. There was a similar thread on VH a few years ago(which I can't find) and the general consensus was that if the original is blurry there's nothing you can do to clean it up, many members tried to get the license plate number but couldn't. As to the driver of the truck, he/she is an idiot if they think they won't get caught. A lot of numbnuts on the road these days hitting things and people and fleeing.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    There was a similar thread on VH a few years ago(which I can't find) and the general consensus was that if the original is blurry there's nothing you can do to clean it up, many members tried to get the license plate number but couldn't.
    Looking at the first still, there's a chance that there's enough information in the video to be able to get something. It's not just blurred, it's aliased. That's a bad thing when watching a normal video, but very helpful when trying to recover moving details from multiple frames of a video.

Cheers,
    David.

18. Member
    Search PM
    The above image has more artifacts and blur than the earlier one. If you converted a JPG back to BMP, it will look worse. If you had Photoshop available, why not save the original BMP as PNG instead of going thru JPG ? Anyway, how was the original image captured? How did it get into Photoshop in the first place?
    I didn't convert back, this is the original. I may have uploaded the jpeg I used a few filters on in attempt to get a better look.

I have to get the video file from the church. I didn't take the video file because it was fairly large. I doubt it's a standard codec because it requires "Super Cool Video" or something chinese to open the video file. Here is the BMP saved as png.

I will try to get the video on a remote link. It's pretty hilarious what the person does, she/he was obviously on their phone at the time because they swing the corner, and don't correct themselves before it's too late.
    Last edited by user65; 2nd May 2012 at 13:44.

19. Here's the latest thread asking the same question:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334150-Enhancing-a-still-from-video?highlight=license+plates

Poisondeathray got the best image by using the shadow feature.

20. Member
    Search PM
    No further help needed guys, thanks for all your comments and replies.

They called the school and went off the description of the vehicle and the suspect called back right away and apologized - blah blah blah. She is basically going to pay for the damages and all that good stuff.

Thanks again.

Search PM
    They'll likely also have to go to court and may have their license suspended for a time (->Moving Violation, Leaving the Scene of an Accident), regardless of however they compensate you/your church.

Lessons learned! I'm glad it worked out for you, though.

One of these days, you should upload a short clip of that .DAT just so others here can see whether that kind of file can be used in other apps, etc...
    Good for future reference.

Scott

22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not always the police's biggest fan either, but I know a bunch that are just hard-working folks who don't get paid enough for the shit they have to deal with on a daily basis (both situations & people). And they're smarter than most people, too (those few officers that I know). They COULD figure this one out fairly quicktly. So, let's not go stereotyping, huh?
    You'd eat those words if you lived in my hometown. If there are dumber cops anywhere than my hometown (which I will not name) then I truly feel sorry for anybody who lives in that place.

Search PM
    Wow!

Well, all I was saying was that there's a wide range to the profession and they all shouldn't be lumped together...

In the OP's case, it looks like they COULD figure it out farily quickly, since they did.

Scott

24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I keep thinking of the remark about some officers making 120k/year. I guess some don't deserve it, but some would deserve more. Have to ask the question: whether you're a good cop or a foolish one, what's your going rate for a job with the likelihood that you could be shot by some damn fool who's even dumber than you are?

Search PM
    I can guarantee you that the majority in the country don't even make 1/2 that much. And yeah, it's not the kind of job that I would want to do for $250k. Well... (maybe I could be bought)

Scott

Search Comp PM
    I keep thinking of the remark about some officers making 120k/year. I guess some don't deserve it, but some would deserve more. Have to ask the question: whether you're a good cop or a foolish one, what's your going rate for a job with the likelihood that you could be shot by some damn fool who's even dumber than you are?
    My brother was a long time city cop (recently retired) so I've got mixed feelings on the issue and he shares most. The high paid cops should be on the street but like teachers, the administrator class continues to grow (not on street) and gain the most pay by seniority. There should be something like a combat pay bonus only for those in harm. The administrator's pay should be tied to similar private jobs.

My brother wasn't in California but his pay rates were tied to California rates by union contract. California rates are set by metro LA and Bay area so the rural guys are very well paid.

I support reasonable pay for working cops but "administration" compensation is excessive. Plus, administrators should retire after age 65, not after 20 years.
    Last edited by edDV; 2nd May 2012 at 20:50.

Search PM
    I'd agree with that.

Scott

28. Originally Posted by user65 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Noahtuck.

I will try to get it uploaded. It's at the church and I'm at home and the video file was too big to email so I stuck with the screen shots. This was the best screen shot I could obtain from the video file.

It's a pretty bad raw video file, since it's from a security camera. Also it's a qsee camera system so the original raw video is a .dat file. Should I upload the .dat file or .avi it can convert to?

Thanks again
    Upload the dat preferably yes.

I remember a similar thread (some time ago...) i have participated where a guy needed a cleanup for a license plate, the video was as bad as yours i recall, we eventually found out the letters/numbers.
    The software Vreveal may actually help you here although many things are possible in avisynth
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

You'd eat those words if you lived in my hometown. If there are dumber cops anywhere than my hometown (which I will not name) then I truly feel sorry for anybody who lives in that place.
    Boulder, Colorado has retarded police...It's so bad, most people just ignore them.

30. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.