VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi,
    it takes a while to find such special place for video.
    we are a small media broadcasting and producing company that have several contracts with local channels so we are recording too many channels on a daily base, then burn these videos on DVDs and pass it back to the channel owners, beside some of these channels let us access its YouTube channel to upload daily shows.
    The recorded videos are mpeg-2 from the satellite tv cards.
    please i would like to ask for your advise for the best software to use to record all channels in the same transponder.
    we are now comparing 3 famous applications to use:
    DVBDream
    ProgDVB
    4TheRecord

so looking for an application to be used heavily and be reliable for our business.
    we have about 30-35 computers in our lab and each computer is dedicated for recording only.
    sorry for bothering you with all these details but just to let you know the exact situation so you can advise for the best solution.
    Thanks and much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by WuxiIxuw View Post
    hi,
    it takes a while to find such special place for video.
    we are a small media broadcasting and producing company that have several contracts with local channels so we are recording too many channels on a daily base, then burn these videos on DVDs and pass it back to the channel owners, beside some of these channels let us access its YouTube channel to upload daily shows.
    The recorded videos are mpeg-2 from the satellite tv cards.
    please i would like to ask for your advise for the best software to use to record all channels in the same transponder.
    we are now comparing 3 famous applications to use:
    DVBDream
    ProgDVB
    4TheRecord

so looking for an application to be used heavily and be reliable for our business.
    we have about 30-35 computers in our lab and each computer is dedicated for recording only.
    sorry for bothering you with all these details but just to let you know the exact situation so you can advise for the best solution.
    Thanks and much appreciated.
    Urgently your reply and help is highly much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    While it might be thoretically possible, the kind of setup you are suggesting would put too much burden on a single system.

You need multiple pieces of separate/dedicated hardware.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. The best software is DvbViewer the dvb cards users knows that, the license cost 15€(cheap, for 1 machine), 4 years i'm using it it's 100% reliable (unlike dvb dream) not sure about progdvb

You can automate recordings via the EPG / timer and record as many channels a transponder can contain (i have tried 2 personally) but more should be fine the only limit i guess would be the hdd.

I know people who have tried more than 2 and reported it was ok
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    While it might be theoretically possible, the kind of setup you are suggesting would put too much burden on a single system.
    You need multiple pieces of separate/dedicated hardware.
    Scott
    I will have a one computer for each transponder.
    So the computer is only dedicated for recording the channels in the same single transponder.
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    The best software is DvbViewer the dvb cards users knows that, the license cost 15€(cheap, for 1 machine), 4 years i'm using it it's 100% reliable (unlike dvb dream) not sure about progdvb

You can automate recordings via the EPG / timer and record as many channels a transponder can contain (i have tried 2 personally) but more should be fine the only limit i guess would be the hdd.

I know people who have tried more than 2 and reported it was ok
    Will it continue recording for a whole day? or will be the usual 4 GB limit!?

Also what about the other software I've mentioned 4therecord?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have never heard of "4therecord" in the past 5 years that should tell you something.
    The 4 gb limit is for fat16 volumes i believe so if you run xp,vista,seven (nfts volumes) you'd have more margin i don't know what's the limit though (wikipedia says max file size= 16 TB ?! that's huge)

Go to the official forum and ask your questions , they're good knowledgeable people there
    http://www.dvbviewer.tv/forum/forum/34-english/
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks a lot
    I will go there now.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just to update you with my found so far in case someone else may ask the same question.
    I've tried the 4 applications so far, DVBViewer, VBDream, ProgDVB, For the Record.
    I must say that DVBViewer is the most excellent one and the most reliable on.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by the_man_one View Post
    I never heard about it ever before except now.
    But what is so special about it compared to other applications ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. tsreader is a freeware it don't have a nice interface and is not really easy to use as far as i know.

Have you finally recorded more than 2 channels from a same transponder, how did it went down ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. The computer used for recording is:
    - Desktop Dell Optiplex GX 620.
    - Pentium D , 2.8 ghz, cach 2 MB.
    - VGA built-in 256 MB
    - 3 GB Ram ddr2.
    - HDD Segate Barracuda 2 TB.
    - PCI Tevii DVB-S2 - S/420.
    - DVBViewer Pro. tried both old version 4.5.0.0 and latest version up-to-date and did not found anything different in between the two versions.

The maximum channels tried to record from a one transponder were 7 channels and guess what!! working amazing brilliantly with no single issue at all.

The operating system used is windows 7 ultimate 32x sp1.

Also I tried DVBDream, DVBViewer, ProgDVB, and the only one that is really most stable and reliable and functional is DVBViewer especially regarding browsing channels in the same transponder during recording to see what is going on because other software does not allow it like DVBDream and when Allow it like ProgDVB it is hangging and closed, but DVBViewer is really reliable a lot.

The only issue that you may face with DVBViewerPro is the required or the suitable codecs to be used and you will need to trial and error to get a suitable one for your system.

That is all so far and so far so good.

HTH
    Last edited by WuxiIxuw; 18th Aug 2012 at 14:01.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Allrighty, good news all around then.
    Win7 have decent A/V codecs (microsoft DTV-DVD codec) for the HD channels i prefer third party codecs like the one from Arcsoft
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Allrighty, good news all around then.
    Win7 have decent A/V codecs (microsoft DTV-DVD codec) for the HD channels i prefer third party codecs like the one from Arcsoft
    Yes me too but I do not know which one available here?
    Quote Quote