VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been searching for awhile but haven't found anything regarding device control in regards for capturing.

I know that broadcast VTR's use the RS-422A protocol for device control and that some NLE's can utilize it when capturing. However, I would like to know if there is a good shuttle controller that I can use to control the VTR with in software?

Read about the Shuttle Pro V2 which is an excellent choice for software control, but cannot find any info anywhere on whether it will support deck control, especially 422 decks.

The Media Commander MC-20 PRO II I found will support it but costs a bit more however.

The decks in question I will be using it for is the Panasonic DS850 and 840.
    I have the staff of power, now it's up to me to use it to its full potential to command my life and be successful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    JL Cooper used to have a good series of USB Jog/Shuttle controllers. Just did a quick google search...lots came up.

No, wait - you want to use a USB to control software, not software to control a deck, right?

If not, you need to go to the software's site and see which decks they will control and with what protocols. If they're Pro decks, they're STILL using RS-422 and you'll need a true RS-422 controller board (can sometimes use a modded RS-232, but not recommended).

If you want both USB -> Software -> RS-422/Deck, you need something that is specifically recommended by both the software maker and the deck manufacturer (mainly check the software site, decks are usually agnostic as long as the protocol is to spec). and The software has to EXPLICITLY say it can control decks via RS-422, etc.

And I would doubt that you'll find anything that works for less than $120US.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    JL Cooper used to have a good series of USB Jog/Shuttle controllers. Just did a quick google search...lots came up.

No, wait - you want to use a USB to control software, not software to control a deck, right?

If not, you need to go to the software's site and see which decks they will control and with what protocols. If they're Pro decks, they're STILL using RS-422 and you'll need a true RS-422 controller board (can sometimes use a modded RS-232, but not recommended).

If you want both USB -> Software -> RS-422/Deck, you need something that is specifically recommended by both the software maker and the deck manufacturer (mainly check the software site, decks are usually agnostic as long as the protocol is to spec). and The software has to EXPLICITLY say it can control decks via RS-422, etc.

And I would doubt that you'll find anything that works for less than $120US.

Scott
    Price is not that much of a factor...the good ones usually run for a few Franklins, since I aim for higher quality I don't have a problem paying to get to that point.

What I am looking for is where I can control the VTR decks in Premiere...it supports device control from VTR's with RS-422 protocol but through a third party, which I am thinking maybe additional software is needed to interface with the decks and Premiere.

The ShuttlePro V2 I read is very good for working within the NLE as far as software editing goes, but I want to look into a shuttle controller that can also control the decks. I am pretty sure I may need an RS-422 controller board to physically connect the deck to, and then perhaps Premiere can interface with it.

Both the Panasonic DS840 and 850 pro decks have the RS-422 control capability.

If this makes sense, let me know, but its mainly what I am looking into.
    I have the staff of power, now it's up to me to use it to its full potential to command my life and be successful.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Premiere requires a plug-in for RS-422 deck control although it seems that CS4 (and not later versions) came with it built-in. This cable would handle the hardware end, but seems VERY overpriced for a RS-422<>RS-232 adapter: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/178348-REG/Avid_7070_00507_01_RS_422_Deck_Control_Cable.html

If your PC doesn't have a real RS-232 COM port I recommend going with a PCI/PCIe card over USB. Its also worth a shot to see if your motherboard has a COM port header on it as quite a few still come with it. In that case all you need is a 9-pin serial port plug+bracket and switching it on in the BIOS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you're good at soldering, I believe there are sites on the 'Net that show the pinouts on RS-232 and RS-422 and the necessary changes needed to convert...

NJRoadfan, that link you gave was for AVIDs, don't know if it works as-is for Premiere as well.

BTW, by googling "rs-422 deck control software", I got this site:

http://www.polar-graphics.com/techsupport/bluefish444/rs422_control.htm
    which pretty much spells it out for Premiere.

Hope that's within your budget!

edit: looks like their mfr link is dead. 'Course, you could always get a Blackmagic Decklink.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 8th May 2012 at 18:26. Reason: new info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    If you're good at soldering, I believe there are sites on the 'Net that show the pinouts on RS-232 and RS-422 and the necessary changes needed to convert...

NJRoadfan, that link you gave was for AVIDs, don't know if it works as-is for Premiere as well.

BTW, by googling "rs-422 deck control software", I got this site:

http://www.polar-graphics.com/techsupport/bluefish444/rs422_control.htm
    which pretty much spells it out for Premiere.

Hope that's within your budget!

edit: looks like their mfr link is dead. 'Course, you could always get a Blackmagic Decklink.

Scott
    Yeah I know about the Pipeline Digital ProVTR plugin for Premiere but unfortunately, that software is pretty much impossible to find anywhere as the company gave up the ghost and as you noted, the mfr link is dead too.

I'll look into the Decklink, and seek out some other options too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    Premiere requires a plug-in for RS-422 deck control although it seems that CS4 (and not later versions) came with it built-in. This cable would handle the hardware end, but seems VERY overpriced for a RS-422<>RS-232 adapter: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/178348-REG/Avid_7070_00507_01_RS_422_Deck_Control_Cable.html

If your PC doesn't have a real RS-232 COM port I recommend going with a PCI/PCIe card over USB. Its also worth a shot to see if your motherboard has a COM port header on it as quite a few still come with it. In that case all you need is a 9-pin serial port plug+bracket and switching it on in the BIOS.
    When I build the XP machine in the next few days it will have the 232 COM port. I do wonder somewhat if Avid's Media Composer supports 422 deck control. I have a trial of MC6 I downloaded but have not installed yet since I want to wait until I am ready to test it out. I like Premiere that it has DV control with no problem, its just the 422 decks that I would like to utilize control with. Maybe I should have kept CS4....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just keep in mind that Premiere doesn't natively support WDM/DirectShow capture devices. You are limited to built-in DV support or our card must have a custom capture plug-in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I built the XP box yesterday and lo and behold, digging into one of my backup external hard drives I found my copy of Premiere Pro CS4 when I had upgraded from the old 1.5 version years back. CS4 obviously was the only version to support serial device control so I decided to give it a test on the JVC-S365U deck which has RS-232 control.

Having bought the female/female serial cable off Amazon, i made the connection from the deck to the 232 port on the PC. And having to run the video cables to the DV camcorder and outputted to the PV via Firewire, Premiere was able to control the deck. Too cool! I bought the Shuttlepro V2 which I can use with it but if it worked for the JVC, then it will work for the broadcast decks. Just need to get a 422 cable and PCI interface for the computer.

Looks like I will be keeping CS4 on this machine.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Just for the heck of it, I recently wrote a bit of software to control my U-matic deck, which is uncomfortably far from my keyboard. With the Hexin USB-->RS422/485 converter ($25), it works just fine. My program is designed for mouse control, but could be modified to accept key commands from the Shuttle as well. I have the Xpress, so maybe I'll give it a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VCR Remote.jpg
Views:	5135
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	12602
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Just for the heck of it, I recently wrote a bit of software to control my U-matic deck, which is uncomfortably far from my keyboard. With the Hexin USB-->RS422/485 converter ($25), it works just fine. My program is designed for mouse control, but could be modified to accept key commands from the Shuttle as well. I have the Xpress, so maybe I'll give it a try.

[Attachment 12602 - Click to enlarge]

That's very interesting! Unfortunately I have no software programming experience but if I had such a program to control the Panasonic DS840/850 decks I have, that would be cool. I can get a 422 serial interface card for my PC and connect it to the deck.

Give it a try with your Shuttle Xpress and see how it works out. If it works, maybe perhaps there could be a way to adapt it to work with the Shuttle Pro as well.
    Quote Quote