VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,
    Just want to apologize in advance if this post is too long; I need to explain the problem in detail so the best possible solution can be provided.

I have two machines:
    #1 = Core2Duo with 2GB Ram, Windows 7 Professional, Cyberlink PowerProducer 5.5, DVD Flick, WinX DVD Author
    #2 = P4 with 1GB Ram, Windows XP Professional, Cyberlink PowerProducer 3

I transferred video from my Sony DCR-HC38 MiniDV Camcorder using WinDV 1.2.3. Since the Core2Duo is faster, I used it to edit the video with VirtualDub. To compare the differences of the video files, I created video DVDs with a segment of the original, unaltered DV video and the edited DV video.

The problem is that when I use any of the software products mentioned for Machine #1 to create the DVD, the resulting quality of both video files are choppy and blurry when viewed on a TV as well as a computer. The original DV file that was transferred to the computer plays back fine on both Machine #1 and #2. For some reason though, when I create the DVD using Machine #2, the video quality is the same as watching the original DV file on the computer (ie. no degradation whatsoever) so I am at a loss as to why a machine that is almost 10 years old is "outperforming" the almost 5 year old machine at creating DVDs from DV files?

The only variables I can think of are the operating system (Windows 7 vs. Windows XP) and the software products used to create the DVDs, but in the latter case, a more recent version of PowerProducer was used on the Windows 7 Machine (#1), so I assumed it would work better. PowerProducer 3 would not work on the Windows 7 Machine (#1).

I would greatly appreciate some insight on why this is happening and what could be done to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tmuser View Post
    Since the Core2Duo is faster, I used it to edit the video with VirtualDub. To compare the differences of the video files, I created video DVDs with a segment of the original, unaltered DV video and the edited DV video.
    What did you save the videos as after VirtualDub?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I saved the video as an .avi file (if it helps, I used these settings:
    Video -> Full Processing Mode, Compression = Cedocida DV Codec, Filters = Brightness, HSV Adjust
    Audio -> Direct Stream Copy and Source Audio

However, both the original DV video (transferred from the camcorder to the PC using FireWire) and the VirtualDub edited video are perfectly fine when I burn them onto a video DVD using the Windows XP machine. When I burn them onto a video DVD on the Windows 7 machine, that is where the problem occurs. So even when the comparison is made with the original, transferred DV footage from the Windows XP created DVD and the Windows 7 one, I am not sure if VirtualDub comes into the equation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Video -> Full Processing Mode, Compression = Cedocida DV Codec, Filters = Brightness, HSV Adjust

However, both the original DV video (transferred from the camcorder to the PC using FireWire) and the VirtualDub edited video are perfectly fine when I burn them onto a video DVD using the Windows XP machine. When I burn them onto a video DVD on the Windows 7 machine, that is where the problem occurs. So even when the comparison is made with the original, transferred DV footage from the Windows XP created DVD and the Windows 7 one, I am not sure if VirtualDub comes into the equation.
    OK through edit to DV-AVI. So then what did you do? How did you encode MPeg2 for DVD?

Recommendation is 720x480, 29.97, bottom field first at full 9500+ Kbps CBR (AKA one hour DVD mode).

Post your MPG media info spec.

Possible issues:
    1. reversed field order, or deinterlace.
    2. low bit rate.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I wonder... could it be a problem with DVD Flick? Try a piece of free software called DVD Styler. BUT, download version 1.8.3. There was something weird with the current version that they're working on. Unless it was a problem that only affected the Mac version.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    1) After editing the original DV file with VirutalDub (output .avi), I used PowerProducer 5.5 and DVD Flick on the Windows 7 machine and made a video DVD using that software. The MPEG2 conversion I assume was done by this; I didn't directly convert it myself. For PowerProducer, I used the HQ setting (1 hour for 4.3GB Disc).

I have been using PowerProducer for several years now and it has been working perfectly with version 3 on Windows XP. It is only when I upgraded to Windows 7 and had to use PowerProducer 5.5 due to compatibility issues with the third version and Windows 7 (and the other aforementioned software) that the video DVDs turn out badly.

2) I read about the possibility of reversed field order and deinterlacing. I did not use any deinterlacing filter (as far as I know) since I read that it is redundant for DV footage since the television and computer monitor should handle that process itself. So to test other alternatives, I used VirtualDub and added an extra filter named 'field swap', which says it "swaps interlaced fields". However, when I made a video DVD with the original DV footage, altered footage without the field swap, and the field swap (all done on the Windows XP machine, since it works fine there) and viewed it on my TV, the field swap video was horrible and the other two played perfectly fine.

I attached the mediainfo textfiles for the unedited DV footage (named DV.txt) and the altered footage (named DV-Edited.txt).
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Not sure if there is a problem with DVD Flick as I mentioned, PowerProducer 5.5, WinX DVD Author and DVD Flick all made choppy and blurry video DVDs. I will try DVD Styler out, but I am lost as to why PowerProducer 3 and Windows XP works fine but Windows 7 and so far any program I throw at it doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if there is a problem with DVD Flick as I mentioned, PowerProducer 5.5, WinX DVD Author and DVD Flick all made choppy and blurry video DVDs. I will try DVD Styler out, but I am lost as to why PowerProducer 3 and Windows XP works fine but Windows 7 and so far any program I throw at it doesn't work.
    Who knows...
    That's why I switched!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    What did you switch to?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    If it helps, Windows 7 is 64-Bit and the Windows XP is 32-Bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it helps, Windows 7 is 64-Bit and the Windows XP is 32-Bit.
    XP can be 64bit but don't go there.

Win7 can be either. Not sure this relates.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I meant to say that my computers have the following operating systems: Machine #1 has Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit) and Machine #2 has Windows XP Professional (32-Bit). I did another test with the same video files (original DV video and edited DV video) with a third machine using Windows Vista (32-Bit) and Cyberlink PowerProducer Version 3, and it works perfectly as well. So I guess that the problem is with my Windows 7 configuration, but as far as I can tell I am using the same settings and software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What did you switch to?
    Wasn't Linux...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    A Mac I suppose, I have had experience with Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro on a Mac. I have a MacBook at home but unfortunately I do not have the aforementioned software, what software do you use on your Mac?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A Mac I suppose, I have had experience with Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro on a Mac. I have a MacBook at home but unfortunately I do not have the aforementioned software, what software do you use on your Mac?
    You mostly use what you are told. Mac users are mostly submissive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

iMovie for editing and sometimes capturing. I used to use the Firewire SDK apps for capturing DV and HDV footage and archiving them for later use on an external hard drive. I still keep the MiniDV tapes though.
    Now it is just iMovie since all I use is AVCHD.

and I use DVD Styler for transcoding and burning DVDs - available on all platforms.
    Quote Quote