VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a problem that I just can't remember what the solution was, tho I kinda remember knowing it.

Tho this may not be the same problem exactly.

I burned two isos, one of Ubuntu 12 which just barely fits on a CD; and one of Mint 12, which is a gig and requires a DVD.

I've tried them on 3 computers, an ancient XP (Athlon) machine, A Tosh Vista laptop, and an Acer laptop running win7.

On the XP machine, both seem to load OK so I think the isos burned both disc images properly (using win7's builtin iso burner).
    The XP machine doesn't have updates since SP3, and isn't online.

Both the vista and win7 machines completely ignored the same linux discs on bootup, and went right on to loading windows. I'm not trying to install them just look at this newfangled HUD that's got everybody riled up.

Both the machines are running Norton 360, which I believe keeps the Windows firewall off.

I thought it might be something in the Autorun like flash drives, but how would that keep the machines from booting off discs (both CD & DVD)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    I'm having a problem that I just can't remember what the solution was, tho I kinda remember knowing it.

Tho this may not be the same problem exactly.

I burned two isos, one of Ubuntu 12 which just barely fits on a CD; and one of Mint 12, which is a gig and requires a DVD.

I've tried them on 3 computers, an ancient XP (Athlon) machine, A Tosh Vista laptop, and an Acer laptop running win7.

On the XP machine, both seem to load OK so I think the isos burned both disc images properly (using win7's builtin iso burner).
    The XP machine doesn't have updates since SP3, and isn't online.

Both the vista and win7 machines completely ignored the same linux discs on bootup, and went right on to loading windows. I'm not trying to install them just look at this newfangled HUD that's got everybody riled up.

Both the machines are running Norton 360, which I believe keeps the Windows firewall off.

I thought it might be something in the Autorun like flash drives, but how would that keep the machines from booting off discs (both CD & DVD)?
    In the CMOS setup, make sure the disc drive is in the boot order ahead of the hard drive.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. You should also have a boot menu option, either by pressing a Function key or an ALT-key combo. The option should be listed on the same screen where you see the option to get in the BIOS. On my PC with AMI BIOS, it's F9; HP's use F2 and my old PC was F8.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some systems will continue to ignore the boot order ... simply disable all hd's temporarily from boot option should then boot from cd/dvd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys- that's exactly what I couldn't remember!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa
    Actually it doesn't so far as I know. I have version 5 on my xp machine and my firewall is on.

Edit - I also have the same norton version on my vista pc and last I knew the firewall is on also.

I don't think I did anything special in the installation. But I got it last October or so. I can't remember if I had to check anything special or not. But I don't see why an antivirus program would deactivat a firewall.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I should have said I think it turns off the builtin Windows firewall, and uses one of its own. May be wrong about that in 360..
    Quote Quote