VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone, sorry if i posted in the wrong part of the forum. I am trying to replicate the effect used in the video below from 52 seconds onwards. Quite confused about how to create this effect. I am new to video editing so if anyone knows how to create such an effect, I would love to know how to create it!

Thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rygMkrNdSUg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which effect?

The blinking is a series of fast cuts/dissolves to black + dissolves of various overlays (the girl).

It all could be be done in Vegas Pro including the velocity profiles.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. yeah the strobe like effect is what I am aiming to achieve....I am editing my film in final cut, would this be easy to do with that program?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edinzec View Post
    I am editing my film in final cut?
    You should probably post you question in the Mac Forum, you may get a faster reply from the mac users.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In FCP (or any editor) you would adjust the opacity keyframes

It's done with 2 tracks, the blinking is just changing opacity keyframes on the top layer. When the opacity is 0 , the bottom track shows through. The sequence is 2 top , 2 bottom, 2 top, 2 bottom, etc.... The levels of the tracks are adjusted so one is bright (or "normal") brightness, the alternate track is darker

Later on, there is a color inversion effect of the "normal" track, so it looks sort of a "photo negative", but the keyframe sequence is the same technique. It also speeds up, 1 top, 1 bottom etc.....

If you are new to FCP, just look on youtube for some basic tutorials on "keyframing" or "opacity keyframes"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, nuttin' new here or groundbreaking. Yawn. Just another Tiesto knockoff. FCP? Hawhawhawhawhaw.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    ... FCP? Hawhawhawhawhaw.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FCP.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	12256
    Everyone knows only Vegas can do serious work. (NOT)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like I hit a nerve! (again)

I got my garlic wreath on, you can't touch me!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't use a application and know nothing about it, you are not qualiffied to ridicule it.

Besides, I love garlic ( and breathmints).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where did "only" come from?

Now you show your ignorance.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Where did "only" come from?

Now you show your ignorance.
    It was only an attempted humerous dig towards the bud man, aka "Vegas is the king of the world" (as illustrated by some of his previous posts), hence the (NOT) at the end of the statement. I was only trying to show the ludicroussness of of bullshit replies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If FCP is really that great, then just ignore me, but Apple is shutting it down too! In favor of something like Vegas! But not nearly as capable!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with you that as FCP X stands right now, Vegas is a more capable product. FCP is though basically V1 of a completely new app. and you are comparing it to a very mature product. Apple does state that it is "a work in progress", and they appear to be serious about making it very competive, as they have already had three major upates to it, trying to remedy the various complaints of their former versions users. Also in its first year it has already gotten more 3rd party support than its predecessor. If Apple maintains their commitment to it, it should become a very viable alternative in the prosumer market. If you really want to give a complete assesment of the product you need to evaluate the added features that the two $50 add-on utilitys (Motion and Compressor) bring to the equation. Take a thorough look at the near 1500 page user manual for Motion 5, and tell me that this does not appear to be the most bang-for-the-buck program on the video market today.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#macosandsoftware
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As the fledgling FCPX grows, so will Vegas. There's no way to close the gap because Apple users need much more time to digest new concepts and tools. I'd hate to be the guy handling support tickets for FCPX, whew! That's goitta be one tough gig.

Fair Dinkum
    Quote Quote