VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What format do you convert your videos to?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I convert all my blu-ray and dvd to mkv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My videos are from my video camera and are DV format. I convert them to MPG to make DVDs.

All other videos that I have purchased are not 'my' videos so they are left in the format that they came in (MPG mostly).
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see the point in converting my dvd's & blu-ray to anything.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't convert from DVD or Blu-Ray to something else. I do the reverse. I'm always moving stuff off my computer to optical disc for back-up, and I have authored some recordings from my PC's TV tuner to DVD so family members can enjoy them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    I don't see the point in converting my dvd's & blu-ray to anything.
    Ding ding ding -- we have a winner.

I convert a lot of high end stuff to streaming and optical formats.
    Or old analog formats to lossless or MPEG.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't convert. Perhaps this should be one of the choices.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Constant Gardener View Post
    I don't convert. Perhaps this should be one of the choices.
    Nope.it's a converting poll for people who do it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I usually don't convert videos much.

I download stuff off the net of course (youtube mostly). But that is already in a format I can use readily (h264/mp4).

The stuff I do convert is to mpeg4 mp4 for the psp. I'm 99% sure its the avc variety but confusingly in the formatfactory settings the only format that works on my psp fat is the one just labeled "mpeg4". I'll have to dig one up and run it through gspot to get a definitive answer.

I do still occasionally make dvds from net sources. And I have and do sometimes make dvds from blurays so I can play them in other locations. Though I'm starting to make a point to wait for a bluray/dvd combo set if it isn't available day one. Saves the hassle.

I haven't done it in awhile but I did convert some 3d blurays I bought to anaglyph in divx mode just to experiment. It is such a hassle I won't be doing it much since I obviously don't own an actual 3dtv. The conversion process is just too time consuming and taxing. I am not an avisynth pro by any means and following all of it is cumbersome to me. though of course I appreciate all the help I've been give here in regards to that.

All in all I do convert just not frequently.

Oh I guess converting flv to mp4 should count - those are usually just remuxing net flvs that are already h264. The flash video ones would actually be a full conversion then.

Edit - in case you were wondering I voted "other"
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For my BRs I convert to MKVs with Make MKV but do not downsize them so the process of coping them to my hard disks takes very little time.

For DVDs I usually convert them to ISO without downsizing them. I eventually convert and downsize some of them [about 1/2]to MKV h264. with vidcoder or xMediaRecode using superfast with a setting of 20.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I convert everything to mkv for storage on media PC.
    (This behavior was born out of laziness more than necessity. I never have spend time searching for to a disk to watch a particular movie, nor do i have to get off my couch to change disk while watching TV show.)
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dragonkeeper
    I never have spend time searching for to a disk to watch a particular movie, nor do i have to get off my couch to change disk while watching TV show.)
    How do you organize yours?

I've only recently been using my wdtv more frequently. I have lots of folders setup. I have folders for concerts, movies, tv shows, documentaries and more. When I have a lot for a specific show I make a folder with its name on it.

Currently I don't have too many movies on it so its easy to scroll down the list. If I were to get a larger harddrive and start ripping more and more movies it would be quite cumbersome to go through. I couldn't even do it by scifi/action/comedy or so since I have lots and lots in each category (more scifi and action than anything else).

What is your layout scheme? Or do you just search by name in your player and load that way?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I never have spend time searching for to a disk to watch a particular movie, nor do i have to get off my couch to change disk while watching TV show.)
    How do you organize yours?

I've only recently been using my wdtv more frequently. I have lots of folders setup. I have folders for concerts, movies, tv shows, documentaries and more. When I have a lot for a specific show I make a folder with its name on it.

Currently I don't have too many movies on it so its easy to scroll down the list. If I were to get a larger harddrive and start ripping more and more movies it would be quite cumbersome to go through. I couldn't even do it by scifi/action/comedy or so since I have lots and lots in each category (more scifi and action than anything else).

What is your layout scheme? Or do you just search by name in your player and load that way?
    I actually i have a HTPC setup running Media Portal, with the following plugins MyFilms, MP TV Series, Music Video Central, and My Anime. This is by far the best option i have run across, I currently have over 800 movies (almost half my collection), about 75 TV series (60 of them are older complete series), 500+ music videos, 100+ Anime series plus a lot of movies and over 20GB of MP3s. Any title is just a few clicks away. My wife is absolutely loving it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I actually i have a HTPC setup running Media Portal, with the following plugins MyFilms, MP TV Series, Music Video Central, and My Anime. This is by far the best option i have run across,
    Ok.

I am not using my pc for viewing.

I like to have the wdtv so I don't have to have the pc on.

But that is a very nice layout option. If I were to use the pc that would be a good way to go. For now I'll stick with the folder layout. Its not too cumbersome right now. It may get that way but I'll just adapt as I use it more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post

Ok.

I am not using my pc for viewing.

I like to have the wdtv so I don't have to have the pc on.

But that is a very nice layout option. If I were to use the pc that would be a good way to go. For now I'll stick with the folder layout. Its not too cumbersome right now. It may get that way but I'll just adapt as I use it more.
    If that works for you there no reason to change, and each generation of the WDTV keeps getting better. I'm sure they wll adapt some sort of menu based gui before long.

I've had a media PC even before the term was coined, my first had a external Sony 1x cd burner connected via the parallel port, so its just what I'm accustom to. Before i built my last media PC i looked at the WDTV devices they were lacking some key features at the time so i went with the media PC build. But now the devices are quite capable, i would recommend them to some one just getting into using a media server over a PC.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I convert to h.264 ... which I think should have been a category ... almost all the time.

Often mkv because it's more convenient with subs.

Isn't "mp4" a little too broad a category?

I used to burn to dvd but gave that up. It's a colossal pain. I could only find one program that worked reliably at all but it's hacky and installs a bunch of codecs / filters / splitters that shouldn't be used in windows 7.
    Quote Quote