VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everybody and thank you in advance for your assistance.

I'd like to know your opinions on the best choice for blank DVD media since Verbatims are getting extremely hard to find where I live and the Taiyo Yuden (JVC) brand has never been available in my country. Double layer Verbatims are still relatively easy to find, but I consider a waste of space to use one of those discs to burn any material that perfectly fits a 4.7 GB DVD. I've always bought Verbatims, but I've been looking for them from around a month or so ago with no success. Since it seems that I can't buy any of the unanimously considered best DVDs anymore, I'd like to know what other options are recommended. Thank you one more time!
    Last edited by alvabass; 28th Apr 2012 at 20:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried amazon international? don't know what the shipping rates are but you may at least be able to get some quality discs.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dus-worldwide-shipping-aps&fi...words=verbatim
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    have you tried amazon international? don't know what the shipping rates are but you may at least be able to get some quality discs.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dus-worldwide-shipping-aps&fi...words=verbatim
    Verbatim 97459 4.7 GB up to16x Branded Recordable Disc DVD+R (100 Disc Spindle)

$25.99

Shipping & Handling:$64.94

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hehe. if cmc mag dvdr is available local they are about as good as generic gets.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    hehe. if cmc mag dvdr is available local they are about as good as generic gets.
    Horrors! CMC MAG?

Yeah, I've used a lot of them for unimportant stuff (burnt at 8x max) and had very few coasters. Single-layer mind you, their double-layer discs are at least one in four guaranteed to be coasters, and that's if you're lucky and your burner doesn't hate them.

Philips, Memorex and HP are typically CMC MAG, for the last few years anyway.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Find a local computer forum and ask local users.
    People in other countries can have no idea what is available to you.

You probably know that the brand name doesn't tell you who really made the disc, and the same brand name in different countries can use different manufacturers. It can change from year to year.
    Here, for instance, I get Verbatim with a "Made in Japan" label, and these are Taiyo-Yuden. The very similar looking (but cheaper) Verbatim "Made in Taiwan" are Mitsubishi.

DVD ID

Japanese
    Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
    Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
    Media Type ID : [T03]

Taiwanese
    Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
    Media Type ID : [004]
    Just buy small packs of a few brands, singles if possible, and test them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    alvabass-in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Thank you!
    Quote Quote