VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Used the tutorial several times from this site to decrypt and rip to HD using DVDfab, and then encode to mp4 using Vidcoder. Used multiple profiles with success, including Android HQ, Normal, and High Quality with and without minor modifications (constant quality setting from 20 to 18 for example-but nothing major was changed)

To the best of my knowledge nothing has changed, yet for Goonies and Star Wars III (both ripped to HD using latest DVDFAB) as well as others, the produced .mp4's no longer will play, regardless of settings and resulting file size.

My CPU temp never gets over 60 according to EasyTune6 monitoring that came with the mobo. I do see lots of chunks missing time to time in Tmonitor though, which had me believing that maybe some cores are overheating and dropping out? But then I read on one site that Tmonitor may not be correctly reporting the cores?

Any ideas as to what might have happened? I've tried uninstalling Vidcoder and reinstalling. Then tried installing 64bit version, and still no change.

Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
  2. On the hardware side of things, if it's not a CPU problem then the other culprit could be RAM. You could try running MemTest.

When you say they won't play at all, you mean they won't even play using the PC?
    You'll probably need to run a process of elimination. ie start by re-encoding something you've encoded successfully in the past to see if it's still got the same problem. Do the ripped files play okay? Maybe DVDFab isn't ripping some discs properly? From there I'd try another encoder GUI just to make sure the problem doesn't go away, and if it doesn't I guess you'd need to start looking at hardware.

Does the PC ever seem to lock up, even if only briefly, when you're not encoding? I've had a DVD drive go bad in the past and the controller locked up the MB intermittantly. That one did my head in for weeks until I discovered the DVD drive had problems (I hadn't been using it). As soon as I disconnected the drive everything went back to normal, so if all else fails, maybe disconnecting any unnecessary components from the MB might be something to try.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah I recently replaced 1 of my (2) 4GB sticks after verifying with memtest86+. I believe all is ok with memory now. I get no crashes/lockups at all-ever, only got them before the 1 stick went bad. They won't even start in VLC. VLC launches, and just sits there. Clicking the play button on VLC won't start them either.

I was thinking to try doing something I've done successfully in the past again as you mention, so I think I'll start with that. Unfortunately DVD fab looks to be the only free option for bluray ripping? I'm not able to spend 100+ on software at the moment. As for the encoder, I used to use makeMKV and go straight bluray to mkv rips, it worked great but my mkv rips suddenly started playing all blocky in PS3 media server for some unknown reason, so I moved away from using mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I guess there's also a chance the files aren't being muxed correctly for some inexplicable reason. You could try opening one of the problem MP4s with MKVMergeGUI and resaving it as an MKV to see if it'll play. If for no other reason than MKVMergeGUI should report any problems it finds, which may point you in the right direction.

How recently have you updated VLC? It's just that I recall a few forum posts where people were having problems with the latest version so maybe try a different player such as MPC-HC. Unless of course you've already tested the files using your Android device and it won't play them either.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just installed MPC-HC (64bit version) and it comes back with "Can't render file when I try to play them with that." I'm using VLC 2.01, and I'm pretty sure I started having this problem just prior to updating-which is when I figured maybe it needed updating, so I took a shot at it (and nothing changed.) I'll try opening and saving as you mention in the other program. Thanks for the tips.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Here's what I get when attempting to open the files:

Command line used:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe" --output-charset UTF-8 --identify-for-mmg "D:\zips\sw3 try 5.mp4"

Output:

Error: The demultiplexer for the file 'D:\zips\sw3 try 5.mp4' failed to initialize:

The file could not be opened for reading, or there was not enough data to parse its headers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sounds like more than bad muxing. I guess you're left with the fun trial and error process of elimination.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Sounds like more than bad muxing. I guess you're left with the fun trial and error process of elimination.
    Do you think in just 5 months a new CPU could be failing? The thing that really puzzles me as I mentioned before (and in my specs) is this system runs solid. Plays Fallout New Vegas, Deadspace 2, and a few other not too-old games on full settings with no noticeable slowdown and certainly no crashes or lockups.
    Quote Quote  
  9. CPUs usually pretty much run forever. I guess it wouldn't hurt to torture it (and the RAM) using Prime95 for a while to see what happens.
    Other than that, to be honest I don't have any other clever ideas. Do all the voltages seem to be remaining stable, assuming you can monitor them? There's maybe a slim chance it's the PSU but given the PC doesn't seem to lock up any other time..... and it's almost always not the power supply anyway.

One other thought, and it's a very long shot, but if you're running any anti-virus or anti-anything software, maybe try an encode with it disabled.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Strangely enough, I changed the output from mp4 to mkv and it seems to have worked fine...does this make any sense, why suddenly.mp4 setting (normal) would result in unplayable files but .mkv would not?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've no idea, and maybe I should have suggested that originally, but usually when people convert to MP4 rather than MKV it's because they're using a playback device which prefers MP4 and not because they want to. I guess it was a good idea to try it though......

Co-incidentally...... I use MeGUI and I have it installed on two identical PCs. When I say identical, I mean aside from a different CPU the hardware is exactly the same. Even the Windows and programs setups were originally identical as I set it all up on one PC, imaged the setup, and then restored the image to the second PC. That was about a year ago. Since then I've installed and uninstalled different software on both PCs. Recently I discovered I'm getting muxing errors when converting to MP4 using MeGUI on one PC but not the other. MKV is fine for both. I went as far as replacing the version of mp4box in the MeGUI installation folder with an older one on the first PC and the problem went away (I don't know if VidCoder uses mp4box for muxing but I'd suspect it does). When I went back to the current version I got the same error again.

Your problem could be similar, it could be completely different.... I don't know. In my case as I rarely use MP4 I didn't bother looking any further, and what could be effecting the muxing to MP4 on one PC but not the other will probably remain one of life's unsolved mysteries. Some time soon I'll restore the old PC image and the problem will go no doubt go away. Sorry that doesn't exactly help you.....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yeah I recently installed TVersity and I can watch mkv's on my PS3 again. They used to work perfect-all the straight to .mkv DVD and blu-ray rips, and I'd stream them using PS3 Media Server, then suddenly one day all my current inventory as well as anything newly ripped is all blocky and the video plays super fast and out of sync with the audio. Never changed any PS3 Media Server settings or anything, I just assumed either a recent PS3 firmware update or PS3 Media Server update screwed it all up, and then switched to mp4.

Looks like until something else pops up I'm back with mkv's.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. As VidCoder is based on HandBrake, it might be worthwhile seeing if the same problem occurs with HandBrake.
    If the same problem persists, it's a HandBrake problem, so seek help on the Handbrake forum.
    If the problem goes away with HandBrake, then it's a VidCoder problem, so ask on Doom9's VidCoder thread, or post on the VidCoder discussion page.

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewforum.php?f=11
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154179
    http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/discussions
    Quote Quote  
  14. Have you tried RipBot264 instead?

You can remux mkv's with TsMuxer to .ts files that will play directly on the PS3
    Last edited by Chug a Bug; 2nd May 2012 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    As VidCoder is based on HandBrake, it might be worthwhile seeing if the same problem occurs with HandBrake.
    If the same problem persists, it's a HandBrake problem, so seek help on the Handbrake forum.
    If the problem goes away with HandBrake, then it's a VidCoder problem, so ask on Doom9's VidCoder thread, or post on the VidCoder discussion page.

I don't believe I've gotten a working file yet out of Handbrake, but then I never tried it before because I just always assumed it couldn't do Blu-ray. Once Vidcoder "stopped working (for mp4 anyhow) I gave it several tries, and nothing worked-at least not the 4 or 5 times I've tried. I'm trying another one again now, will update.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Chug a Bug View Post
    Have you tried RipBot264 instead?

You can remux mkv's with TsMuxer to .ts files that will play directly on the PS3
    Is this referring to the out-of sync issue? Will it cure the blockiness? Those files all play perfect on VLC media player-I should have mentioned earlier, on several PC's. So I don't think there was any problem with how they were encoded. In fact, just to clarify-they used to all play fine on the PS3, so unless they somehow become corrupt or something in a way that only made them play bad on the PS3 I doubt there is an issue with the files. It's not network speed either as my WNDR3700 router streams blu-ray just fine, including a 14GB Tron Legacy .mkv rip I downloaded for testing a while back.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by David Ross View Post
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    As VidCoder is based on HandBrake, it might be worthwhile seeing if the same problem occurs with HandBrake.

I don't believe I've gotten a working file yet out of Handbrake, but then I never tried it before because I just always assumed it couldn't do Blu-ray. Once Vidcoder "stopped working (for mp4 anyhow) I gave it several tries, and nothing worked-at least not the 4 or 5 times I've tried. I'm trying another one again now, will update.
    Confirmation: Same result when using just Handbrake, unplayable files, won't open in vlc or mkv merge.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by David Ross View Post
    Same result when using just Handbrake, unplayable files
    Then it's probably best you ask on the HandBrake forum.
    If you haven't already, sign up (quick and easy) and post the relevent (activity) log(s) that they require.

Once it's fixed in HandBrake, then an updated VidCoder normally sees the same error fixed too.
    Quote Quote