VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am using a Hauppauge HVR-1800 card to stream cable TV to my PC and it is working great using Windows Media Center on Win7. I noticed that the card has an SVHS and composite audio inputs. I hooked up my JVC VCR to the card hoping to capture some old VHS tapes that I have onto my hard drive. I used a couple of capturing programs, one being NERO 8. The capturing software is able to recognize the LIVE TV but does not recognize the VCR or the Video Inputs on the card. I couldn't find any answers on Hauppauge's website. Most everthing on that website discusses live TV recording. Does anyone has any suggestions on how to catpure using the inputs on that card?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you try Hauppauge's WinTV? You have to assign a channel number to the composite or s-video port, then tune to that channel.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jagabo,

I don't have WinTV. The card came as OEM in the system, and uses Windows Media Center. I tried downloading it from the Hauppauge website but it says I need to buy a CD for it to work. I tried downloading BeyondTV to see if there is way to do that, but I can't find any options to view input video. Any other software recommendations out there?
    '
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub will see the composite and S-Video ports that you have set in WinTV but I'm not sure if they show up with just the driver.

Also WinTV6 I think is free to download and will allow SD capture at least with my HDR-1600. Otherwise you are screwed and need to buy the CD. The OEM models didn't include the WinTV7 CD.

BTW a PVR-250/350 CD will get you WinTV6 but not WinTV7 (the HD version).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try AMARECTV .

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Claudio.

Thank you for your suggestion. I downloaded AmarecTV and searched for the AMV3 decoder online for a free download. I was able to set the input as S-Video and BAM! I could capture. I did have to tune it up a little. I had to change the standart decoder setting to DIVX since the default decoder captured 6 minutes of video at 2.45 GB.....Had to stop and reconfigure. (btw, I had to figure out that to access the settings screen, I had to right click somewhere in the capture window. it took me a while to fingure that out, and the help/instruction online did not mention it.

Thanks.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have the 1850 model (pci-e), and recently noticed that it also works in ati's mmc. You can even use the card's audio input as a passthrough . Same thing in virtualdub, virtualvcr, and iuvcr. Rock solid sync ... may need to DelayAudio() in avisynth with the ati mmc capture though.. uses non-zero starting point or something. Vdub shows the delays needed to adjust when you open the file directly, offers to fix. Found better results fixing in avisynth though.. rock solid .

But my favourite tool right now... iuvcr!
    Quote Quote