VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried several programs to shrink the bluray movie Contraband (which I bought on April 25) to a BD25, Nothing seems to work, So has anybody else have any luck with this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Does it contain interlaced VC-1? You can tell by using BDRebuilder to open the rip directory. If you see 29.97 fps VC-1 video, then you have interlaced VC-1. Interlaced VC-1 is hit and miss and if your shrinking program can't handle it, you're stuck. Some BluRays may also use interlaced MPEG-2 and this can be problematic as well except if you make sure under BDRebuilder that the Deinterlace option is NOT selected it may work. Note that if you're really unlucky you'll get a BD disc with a mixture of H.264, interlaced VC-1 and interlaced MPEG-2. Those are almost impossible to shrink. Finally, BDRebuilder has an option that talks about using an internal LVAF or something close to that. Check the box next to it as sometimes that also helps with interlaced VC-1 and interlaced MPEG-2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's a lot of assuming going on there.....

How about stating what program/s you used to rip it.....

How about stating what program/s you used to shrink it to BD25......

You were pretty much as vague as you can be and gave pretty much ZERO information....

Hi
    My video conversion does not work....
    Why ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, nothing much to go on there.

Contraband has been reviewed at hidefdigest. It's a new release. Video is AVC (H264). One thing caught my attention: it has something called U-Control, a PiP (picture-in-picture) option with pop-up mini-featurettes.

Anyway, I too would want to know:

1) What did you rip with? Is your decrypter fully updated? It's a new release after all and may have some newish protection. You might not have a good rip to work with and not know it. Playing the movie with, say, TMT from hard disc is not a reliable test.
    2) Full disc or main movie? Protection is less likely to be a problem if you're extracting movie-only. If main movie is what you want, extract it before feeding it to BDRB. Clown_BD is good for this.
    3) What are you using to back up the movie? BDRB? You should know that movies with PiP are often problematic for BDRB if you insist on doing full disc.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I used anydvd version 7.0.3.0 with bdrb in main movie only mode and had no problem backing it up.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	contraband.png
Views:	199
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	12209
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If the OP is trying to backup the entire thing including extras, my previous post still applies. I've seen quite a few BD discs where the movie is a normal H.264 file like in mrawla's post, but the extras are various combinations of interlaced VC-1 and MPEG-2 and those typically give BDRB fits. However, if the OP is OK with a movie only backup, I see no reason that can't be done successfully. If the OP continues to have problems he might want to post a screen shot or screen shots of the error in BDRB so we can look at it.

Note that selecting "use X264's internal LAVF for decoding" is what I tried to refer to in my previous post but I didn't get the name right.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    If the OP is trying to backup the entire thing including extras, my previous post still applies.
    I agree

I was just letting the OP know that they should have no problem if main movie is their final goal, using bdrb and anydvd.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrswla View Post

I was just letting the OP know that they should have no problem if main movie is their final goal, using bdrb and anydvd.
    Of course. That was helpful for you to do that as he may only want that done.

I was just trying to head off another situation where a relatively new member gets all the advice he needs but he ignores the earlier posts and doesn't pay attention to them. tarzan54 may not be like that at all, but it's happened enough to me around here that I wanted to be crystal clear that a full backup and shrink to BD-25 may have issues that I addressed in my earlier post.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure wish I knew how Mrswla did it, Anyhow, I guess I should have been more clear, I used Anydvd .7.0.4.0 ( which I now see there is a new version already) to rip to hard drive which it said successfully completed, Then tried to use BDrebuilder to shrink main movie only which one time went to 3.9% and another time to 10.7% but keeps coming up H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) encoder has stopped working
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    I'd suggest uninstalling associate programs and reinstalling them from scratch. I've had to do that on occasion from one of the programs becoming corrupt and causing errors.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mrswla, I have tried that several times. The thing that really bothers me is that I had problems with BDrebuilder about 5 weeks ago so I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled windows ultimate 7 64bit and then I had no problems, But this is the first bluray I tried in a couple weeks with BDrebuilder versions 4008 an then I installed the new version 4009 so I was thinking it was the movie it self until you said you have no problem. And I don't have hardly anything installed on this computer since I use it mostly for movies and internet, and I can't think of anything I installed since the last time I did a bluray.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You used only the versions of ffdshow, AviSynth and Haali linked on the BDRB bug report thread?

If so, that's a real puzzler.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    fritzi93, Yes I only used those versions and tried deleting an reinstalling them, I saw over on another site that you have to do a full backup for it to work, Or you have to remove secondary video in the main movie 00023.m2ts to do a movie only backup, which I'm not sure how to do, But I tried the full backup and got to 44.60% which is the futherest I ever got but then again it came up, H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) encoder has stopped
    working
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    Or you have to remove secondary video in the main movie 00023.m2ts to do a movie only backup, which I'm not sure how to do,
    I am not familiar with this movie or disc so I have no idea if it even has secondary video, but I do want to point out that secondary video often causes BDRB to crash if it is interlaced VC-1 or MPEG-2.

Try my suggestion to on the "use X264's internal LAVF for decoding" option and see if it helps.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98, I'm going to try it now, I also noticed in post #5 from mrswla that he had no problem an he doesn't have use X264's internal LAVF for decoding box checked, but maybe it will work for me.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98, I tried your suggestion but still no luck, I see there is a new version of DVDfab out, So I will that. Thanks for everyone's help, That's why I love this site.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    jman98, I tried your suggestion but still no luck, I see there is a new version of DVDfab out, So I will that. Thanks for everyone's help, That's why I love this site.
    Updating DVDFab is worth a try. A few months ago I updated AnyDVD and it just went to hell, giving me all kinds of problems with BD rips. A new version came out soon afterward and I updated to that and all was well. I also had BDRB issues until I updated AnyDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again jman98, I just got done shrinking contraband to a BD25 with the new DVDfab, It seems to work but it took me about 13 hours which seems like alot of time to do a movie, Where BDrebuilder takes me about 1-1/2 hours, Hugh difference, Wonder why Fab is so slow?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's all in the setting's!!

I only use DVDFab to rip Bluray's then i use BDRB to reconvert them down to BDR.
    So i don't know much about the settings end of compressing down to SL BDR in DVDFab.
    But i have read many comments about DVDFab's encoding quality not being that great as far as BD's go.

I also noticed that after the last 2-3 (previous to 8.1.8.0) updates, when i ripped about 5 bluray's and shrunk them down to fit a SL BDR they would play fine on my PC but when trying to play them in my standalones they would just go to a black screen and hang.....

Oh, look what the newest changelog say's for DVDFab....

Blu-ray Copy:
    New: Added support for new Java-based protection.
    Fix: A black screen playback problem when copying "Full Disc".
    I have not tested v8.1.8.0 yet, but hopefully it works better than the last 2 versions.
    After wasting a few BDR's i will now alway's check the first rip & conversion with a BDRE after an update from DVDFab!!!
    (I won't even go into the other crap DVDFab want's to do after the last couple of updates, I used to be a big supporter of DVDFab, but maybe no longer)

When i do a full disc backup from a 40+ GB Bluray to a SL BDR i use 2 pass and highest quality which usually takes about 10 (give or take) hours, on my 6 core 16gb of ram system.

BDRB is MUCH more powerful and has MANY MORE user settings than DVDFab, and is MUCH more advanced!!

Maybe i missed it, but you never really mentioned what the EXACT problem was, what the EXACT software you were using to RIP or COMPRESS in your initial post.....
    No one here is a mind reader, the less specifics you give from the start, the better help you will get!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Noahtuck, If you read my post #9 you will see my problems listed that's why we all read the posts, But here they are again for you, I used Anydvd .7.0.4.0 ( which I now see there is a new version already) to rip to hard drive which it said successfully completed, Then tried to use BDrebuilder to shrink main movie only which one time went to 3.9% and another time to 10.7% but keeps coming up H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) encoder has stopped working
    Quote Quote  
  21. Have you tried a different compressor to BDrebuilder? Suggest RipBot264. I've had trouble with BDRB myself in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Chug a Bug, No, The only other compressor I used was DVDfab which worked, But it took me about 13 hours where as BDrebuilder only takes me about 2 to 3 hours, How long does it take you with RipBot264 and is the quality has good?
    Quote Quote