VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been referred here by the afterdawn forum, hope you can help me.

I've got problems with playing .mp4 files and SOME .avi files. I've tried using VLC, KMP, WMP, Nero, PowerDVD.

.mp4 - out of sync a/v and glitchy video with VLC, KMP, WMP, Nero, PowerDVD v5 doesn't support mp4.
    .avi - some of these play ok on VLC for a while then freeze up & go glitchy for a while. Those same avi's play ok on Nero.
    Others are out of sync a/v and glitchy video (boxy, lack of resolution, green flickering outlines) with VLC, KMP, WMP & Nero.
    PowerDVD plays all avi the best but on some has a/v sync issues.

Anyone give me any pointers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried those files on another computer? They might all be corrupt. Because you have tried most players already, both vlc with builtin codecs and other wmp directshow players.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Haven't tried on another computer but some of them are files I've successfully viewed months ago so I know they're ok. I think its codec issue as I did have problems with codec pack compatibility so removed my codec packs and went to using individual codecs indicated by avicodecs & gspot. Hasn't worked out though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Maybe try yet another player (MPC-HC). By default it installs using all of it's own internal splitters and decoders so if the files play okay in MPC-HC then I guess you need to look "outside the players", such as which decoders you're using etc. I think VLC uses all it's own decoders but I'm not sure about splitters and I've no idea what any of the other programs you're using do.
    Quote Quote  
  5. MPC-HC seems to play all the avi files ok but on mp4 it takes a while (though it says 'playing') with a black screen then experiences an unexpected error & shuts down.
    VLC experiences problems with avi & mp4 so I'm not sure whats going on there.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just found an avi file which develops a bit of a/v sync issues when played with MPC-HC. Went away again though.

***Edit******

Found another, out of sync from the start.
    Last edited by Betadog; 29th Apr 2012 at 12:32.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think the out of sync problem isn't related to the avi file or player as my computer is low on virtual memory, CPU usage is at 100% & everythings running slow (eg Kaspersky scan ETA is 1 day). Don't know the reason for this, ran spyware S&D this morning & all was ok, malwarebytes a few days ago & no threats detected.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check the process tab in task manager. Can you identify which process is using all the CPU?
    Quote Quote  
  9. The major user was avp.exe at around 310,000K, oddly avp.exe appeared 3 times in the processes list.
    After that it was Firefox & Vuze.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've tested a wee bit and the cpu usage goes way down when not connected to the internet, this makes me suspicious - though a malwarebytes scan today shows all clear.
    avp.exe iappears to be the kaspersky anti-virus program.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you turn off Kaspersky and disconnect from the internet, how do the videos play.
    Quote Quote  
  12. If I disconnect from internet cpu useage goes down and the avi's I'd had problems with play fine on powerdvd & WMP-HC. Haven't tried them on other players - or tried mp4 - as I'm awy from home at present. I'll test when I get back.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ok, I've tested it out now. With internet disconnected .avi play fine on powerdvd, WMP-HC & Nero, they play on VLC but with persistent frame freezes & audi/video going out of sync.
    .Mp4 doesn't play on any of the above as its got a/v sync issues, long freezes, poor video rendering.

Looks like there's codec issues with mp4 but otherwise its just a level of cpu usage issue - not sure why as previously I didn't have any problems with watching avi's while connected to internet with multiple processes running.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Any help on the .mp4?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't rely on gspot. It hasn't been updated in 5 years. Try mediainfo. It doesn't suggest codecs to install, but I don't believe in that stuff anyway. I yanked all non microsoft codecs Smplayer and vlc don't need them, which is as it should be.

Anyway, vlc (which is my backup video program aftersmplayer) doesn't play vob dvd files well but it doesn't have much problem with mp4s. I don't use any non microsoft codec/splitter/filters that redirect away from directshow and I haven't had problems with video that wasn't broken or just really badly encoded.

I don't know where these videos came from but there are lots of bad videos out there. Installing more codecs will tend to make the problem worse and harder to trace.

You definitely seem to be having a problem with your antivirus. There are a bunch of posts on the kaspersky forums reporting maxed out cpus. This could cause more of a problem with mp4s encoded in h.264 format. They tend to use CABAC compression, which increases cpu load.

The remedy usually suggested on the kaspersky forum is to unstall and reinstall, but that wouldn't give me much peace of mind re the program. It's often a good idea to uninstall before doing a major upgrade ... say 1.0 to 2.0 rather than 1.0 to 1.1 ... but there shouldn't be those kinds of problems. I'd try it though.

Actually, while you may not want to hear this if you paid for kaspersky, I've yanked programs for much less problems. I use microsoft security essentials myself ... believe it or not, the tech support people at the user support dept in the local university recommend MSE. It's is the only antivirus program that doesn't cause problems on the network (false positives).

The thing about antivirus programs is that none of them really work anyway. When you read those reviews that say that one blocked 93% of viruses and another blocked 95% etc, what that really means is that they all let things through.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You haven't posted your system details when you registered; please do that, CPU and clock, memory and operating system. Also, how much free hard drive space do you have?

Baldric said:
    Have you tried those files on another computer?
    You would be smart trying this, if those files played smoothly on another machine it would tell you a lot where your problem is. If the files do not play on another machine they are probably corrupt, and then you had best find out why you are getting corrupted files on your machine.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks for the help guys,

Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
    You haven't posted your system details when you registered; please do that, CPU and clock, memory and operating system. Also, how much free hard drive space do you have?
    Windows XP Service pack 3, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 232 HD Capacity 63.14GB free.
    Not sure where to find the clock speed info, let me know and I'll post it up.
    Baldric said:
    Have you tried those files on another computer?
    You would be smart trying this, if those files played smoothly on another machine it would tell you a lot where your problem is. If the files do not play on another machine they are probably corrupt, and then you had best find out why you are getting corrupted files on your machine.
    I've tried a few files and consistently mp4s don't play but I'll try to test one on another pc tommorrow.

I don't know where these videos came from but there are lots of bad videos out there. Installing more codecs will tend to make the problem worse and harder to trace.
    The avi's seem to be ok - apart from cpu issues - but I'm fairly confident the mp4s are good as others have used them and I've seen no issues reported - that said I'll test on another machine myself.

You definitely seem to be having a problem with your antivirus. There are a bunch of posts on the kaspersky forums reporting maxed out cpus. This could cause more of a problem with mp4s encoded in h.264 format. They tend to use CABAC compression, which increases cpu load.

The remedy usually suggested on the kaspersky forum is to unstall and reinstall, but that wouldn't give me much peace of mind re the program. It's often a good idea to uninstall before doing a major upgrade ... say 1.0 to 2.0 rather than 1.0 to 1.1 ... but there shouldn't be those kinds of problems. I'd try it though.
    That's disturbing, hadn't heard about that before. I've been running Kaspersky for years (with updates) and its only recently there's been excessive cpu load. Not certain how uninstalling & reinstalling will help if the issue is the problem is kaspersky itself, presumably problem would just be reinstalled?
    Still I'm happy to try uninstalling it but I'll leave that for a wee bit as a last resort.

The thing about antivirus programs is that none of them really work anyway. When you read those reviews that say that one blocked 93% of viruses and another blocked 95% etc, what that really means is that they all let things through.
    Yeah, that's probably true, but I'd rather stop that 95% than let them get through so some form of antivirus is an essential for me.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I've tried one of the mp4s on another computer, took a while as the media player at my work didn't support mp4s but I checked on another computer & it plays ok.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Betadog View Post

Yeah, that's probably true, but I'd rather stop that 95% than let them get through so some form of antivirus is an essential for me.

Thanks again.
    I'm not suggesting you not use antivirus programs.

I'm suggesting you not use Kaspersky.
    Quote Quote  
  20. So as here, I got issues on my player. I can’t play the videos on .mp4 and .avi format on my computer (surely the software was properly installed). But when I tried it on other pc it is working..What might be the cause?
    Quote Quote  
  21. What might be the cause?
    probably the player is missing some decoders/filters/splitters to handle the files properly.
    Try for example MPC-HC, MPlayer, VLC as player, all of these Players come with a bunch of internal decoders and do not necessarily rely on decoders&co installed on your system
    Quote Quote