VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, this is my first post to this forum.

I want to copy all my DVDs to my computer (PC/Vista) and maintain all the menus too. Also, I want the movies (once on my computer) to be able to load onto my Kindle Fire.

What is the best free software to rip the DVDs and what format should I rip them into?

By the way, I am not a techie, so I hope I'll understand the jargon in your advice.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to keep the menus you must rip to an iso image with for example bdlot dvd iso master or the video_ts folder with the dvdfab decrypter. Then play with for example VLC. Click on the software for guides.

I have no idea what formats the kindle fire supports...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tips Baldrick.

Do you have any leads for me about how I can find out compatible formats for Kindle Fire (besides searching on Google)? Thx
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sd2005 View Post
    Do you have any leads for me about how I can find out compatible formats for Kindle Fire?
    Read the manual, maybe? I could find out and I don't even own one. You can do the same. Something wrong with searching on Google? If you can't figure out how to do that, maybe you won't be able to convert the DVDs to the format it does support.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  6. http://www.ifunia.com/how-tos/amazon-kindle-fire-supported-video-audio-formats.html

1. Use DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip the main movie and one audio track(menus won't work).
    2. Use VOB2MPG to join the VOB's.
    3. Use Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip(my favorite) to encode to 852x480(16:9) or 640x480(4:3).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    http://www.ifunia.com/how-tos/amazon-kindle-fire-supported-video-audio-formats.html

1. Use DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip the main movie and one audio track(menus won't work).
    2. Use VOB2MPG to join the VOB's.
    3. Use Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip(my favorite) to encode to 852x480(16:9) or 640x480(4:3).
    Thanks MOVIEGEEK. This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adamlautner2012 View Post
    The best free solution is HandBrake, an open source video transcoder for Windows, Mac and Linux.
    Kindle Fire supports mp4 and vp8 video, so you can convert your DVD to MPEG-4 or H.264 .mp4 video using HandBrake for playback on Kindle Fire.

I'm new here, however, hope this does help.
    Thank you. From what I've read, HandBrake is a lot of people's favorite.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake is my favorite myself, but since when does it preserve menu structures? That's news to me.

Baldrick's right (he usually is). If you want menus you'll need to convert to iso. Kindle support there? I dunno either.

RTFM! Or google.

You may have to compromise on the menus.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since I don't know what an ISO is, I'll give up on trying to maintain the menus. I'm assuming that without having the menus, when I click onto the movie, it will just start playing (I won't have any screen selection options) right?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by sd2005 View Post
    Since I don't know what an ISO is, I'll give up on trying to maintain the menus. I'm assuming that without having the menus, when I click onto the movie, it will just start playing (I won't have any screen selection options) right?
    An ISO is an image file that contains everything on the disc, your Kindle doesn't support ISO or menus so forget about them. When you encode at 852x480 or 640x480 that's the only resolution you will get, it's not like watching a video on YouTube where you have options.
    Quote Quote